should i go below 1200?

Options
so i've lost 50 lbs. as of yet eating a 1200 calorie diet. now that i have a smaller deficit with that 1200 should i go lower to maintain a 2 pound weekly weight loss?? i know 1200 should be the rock bottom but is it unrealistic to expect a 2 pound loss anymore??

Replies

• teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    NOPE. Never go below 1200. anything below that puts you at risk for starvation. Stay where you are until your body stops responding, when that happens, you actually want to go higher not lower. like 1300 or 1400. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, going below 1200 is asking for long term trouble. You might lose weight, but once you eat, your body is gonna store the food because anything below 1200 and your simply not eating enough.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    No :noway:
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    1200 is really too low for anyone unless a doctor orders it for some strange medical reason. But you should NEVER go under that. Calorie restriction is a bad thing. You lose weight, yes. But, it's muscle, not fat. If you hope to burn fat and gain muscle, you must feed the muscle and turn up your metabolism. You're probably now in starvation mode.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your BMR everyday, or at least CLOSE to it.
    You will lose weight at first eating a low amount of calories, but once you start eating normally again, you'll gain weight again. It sounds crazy, but it really does work. There's a group called "Eat More to Weigh Less" or something like that on here, they explain it pretty well I think.
  • dkbaron
    dkbaron Posts: 23
    Options
    I notice when I am cerazy busy, I sometimes don't eatr my 1200 and I don't lose an ounce. Maybe try upping the calories to 1300 and exercise a little more. It has been working for me. Congrats on the weight loss thus far.
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No :noway:

^^^ This and agree with the other poster - more will stimulate loss not less.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go below 1200...your weight loss won't always be fast, but you'll get there. Don't starve your body of the calories it needs to run efficiently.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You might have to change your expectations. It looks like you are halfway to your goal, and the game totally changes from here. I agree to try eating more, or else eat higher quality. The cleaner you eat, the more you can eat for the same 1200 calories. You could also try exercising more (and eating more if you do). Always go with what your body responds to, though, and that is often something different than what people tell you. Whatever works. :wink: Just please do not eat less than 1200 unless a doctor tells you to.
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    NOPE. Never go below 1200. anything below that puts you at risk for starvation. Stay where you are until your body stops responding, when that happens, you actually want to go higher not lower. like 1300 or 1400. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, going below 1200 is asking for long term trouble. You might lose weight, but once you eat, your body is gonna store the food because anything below 1200 and your simply not eating enough.

To say NEVER go below 1200 is a little dramatic. There are certain people, depending on their height and weight that would be find on a 11/1200 calorie diet. Sure, for MOST of us, LONGTERM, that is not the way to go, but certainly is not something that should be automatically rule out.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    1200 is the standard recommendation in order to avoid malnutrition. However, if you are extremely petite (falling outside of the normal curve) and incredibly sedentary, this may not apply to you. For most people though, 1200 is likely the bottom without talking to a doc...

Edit: Just realized Kate beat me to the punch... lol...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, slow your weekly weight loss to reflect 1 pound as a goal.
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot after making all that progress.
    Well done on your results :drinker:
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I would re-eval at the weight you are now and see if anything has changed since you've lost. You might be surprised at the resutls of the reassessment.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    should i go below 1200?

Only under doctor supervision.
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I lost the two stone i really wanted to on 1050, but then I think it determines on the person. Your body is not suddenly going to decide if you are 100 calories less that it is starving and going to go crazy. I also think it depends what your eating, if your eating clean and healthy I dont see a problem (which I assume you will have been with your weightloss so far :) ) I would say definitely dont go beneath 1000 though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The less weight you have to lose .... the slower it will go. For someone with 10 - 15 pounds to lose ..... 1/2 pound lose per week is more likely.

The reason MFP will not go below 1200 ... those 1200 calories are required for basic bodily functions (heart, lungs, kidneys). Even comatose people get a feeding tube. Your body will hang onto every calorie for dear life ... weight loss will stall.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    so i've lost 50 lbs. as of yet eating a 1200 calorie diet. now that i have a smaller deficit with that 1200 should i go lower to maintain a 2 pound weekly weight loss?? i know 1200 should be the rock bottom but is it unrealistic to expect a 2 pound loss anymore??

My physician said 1500 is minimun. (just met with him today, too) If your deficit has you losing less at 1200 because your BMR is already so low, you are thin enough to level off. You probably wont get a 2lb loss per week, but that is a good thing. You need to get your body ready for maintenance.... Your metabolism needs to reset itself to be ready to eat more or you will gain it all right back.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

The simple answer would be NO however there is more too it then that...

I have learnt that it is not just the number of calories but the quality - look at the balance of protein, fat and carbs

I lost my first 80lbs on 1200 cals in 8 months then it stopped (well slowed down to be more accurate) it took me a further 3 months to shift the next 20 then 3 months to move the next 10.... I still have 50+ to go...

So on the advice of my trainner who has been with me the whole journey I increased my cals to 1500 by adding more protein and some healthy fats and low and behold in the last 10 days I have dropped 9lbs

My body just needed the right nutritional mix to let go....

so my advice would be to look at what you eat and not just how many calories

Lucy
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it in pounds, think of it in percentage from the last time you weighed (a la biggest loser) to keep your expectations reasonable. Loosing too much at once increases the % of weight loss attributed to lean mass. You best visual results come from maximizing fat loss while minimizing lean mass loss, which is pretty much best achievable with a reasonable percentage of weight compared to total weight loss and strength training.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic to expect to keep losing 2lbs.