should i go below 1200?

Options
2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic to expect to keep losing 2lbs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's normal for your deficit to shrink as you approach your goal weight.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing 50 lbs! As you lose, the deficit does get smaller, but I think it makes sense to take it slow so it is maintainable for you. The best idea I heard is to eat at maintenance for your goal weight. It might take longer to get there, but then you are eating at the rate you have to maintain forever, so you never get in a mind set of going back to old habits after you get to goal.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Despite what others say here I think it is ok if done carefully. I am currently on 1100 per day, often averaging about 980 per day. I have have decreased my calories to maintain the weight loss, as I was on 1200 and not losing, I still exercise but i eat some of these back (not all). If you are healthy, apart from weight, and satisfied on 1200, then it's up to you. If you are near you target weight then don't be too radical.
    Up to you, but remember your health is important. So if in doubt ask your GP.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's unrealistic to continue losing 2lb since you still have 40lb left to go. I'm assuming this 40lb will put you at a normal BMI as opposed to underweight.

I think bumping up your calories may be a good idea since your body is probably used to low caloric intake at this point. Low calorie diets are not good in the long term.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    nutrition>losing 2# per week
  • mandyfawn1
    Options
    Really it depends on your body, your metabolism, your exercise regimen. Every body is different, so what one person's doctor says, or what works best for them will not necessarily be the same for you. As a general rule, 1200 calories is the lower limit, but I've had dieticians tell me 1000 is still enough. It's really something to discuss with a professional. And congrats on the 50 you've lost!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    thanx everyone im still losing at 1200 just starting to slow down... im thinking once i get about 15lbs away from my goal im gonna up my cals to aqround 1600 anyways just to ease into my maintain calories at goal
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Try dropping to 120 per day. Ten times less should really get the fat melting off and since starvation is a myth, it's not an issue.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    thanx everyone im still losing at 1200 just starting to slow down... im thinking once i get about 15lbs away from my goal im gonna up my cals to aqround 1600 anyways just to ease into my maintain calories at goal

Actually your body needs fuel to burn off the last 15 lbs. I would up your calories to around 1450 instead of 1600. 1600 is a good maintenance if your goal weight is 160 lbs.

@adolson13 - bahahahahahaha
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    [/quote]

1600 is a good maintenance if your goal weight is 160 lbs.

[/quote]
    idk... calorie calculator tell me that a little to no exercise would have me at 135lbs ( my goal ) with a 1613 calories for maintenance
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    GEI2
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I weight 112 lbs and I eat 1600-1800 cals a day. You can and probably should eat more.
  • biged95
    biged95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not without a doctor telling you to and supervising you. It is very unhealthy and can cause a lot of issues.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Try dropping to 120 per day. Ten times less should really get the fat melting off and since starvation is a myth, it's not an issue.
    Yea, right...lol
    Sometimes less is more. It's not a race, so why not go with what MFP recommends?
    Good luck whatever you decide.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

There is a group called "Eat More to Weigh Less" that a lot of people in your situation end up joining. I'm part of fit. I was losing 1 lb a week at 1200 calories a week...I upped to NETTING 1650 and lost 1 lb a week. Definitely do not go lower, definitely unhealthy thoughts there.