Help please!

Options
I'm really having a hard time staying on track. I'm one of those people who eats when they get bored. Work has been super slow lately so my coworkers and i all just sit around and eat all day. And on those days that i do behave while at work i end up starving on the drive home which takes me right past two fast food places. They almost always catch me. I am in a major slump here. Any suggestions?

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My commute is an hour long. I started bringing baby carrots excusivly for the drive home. You eat them 1 at a time so it keeps the boredom away, and you're ravanously hungry when I get home.
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    just remember what your doing this for...to lose weight and feel great:bigsmile: and when you have days that your just sitting aroung bring in some fruits and veggies to snack on and when you want to head for the junk just remind yourself that if i eat this i will be mad at myself later so its just not worth it..i work at a school in the kitchen and i go threw this everyday...there is food and sweets everywhere:explode: ..but i bring in my own lunch.. they do have apples witch i have and its hard but i do stay away from the sweets...you can do it i know you can :flowerforyou:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Love the baby carrots idea. Take that same idea and take it to work with you. Bring snacks that are good for you or low in calorie so on the days that you do indulge it impact isn't so bad.
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I used to eat out of boredom too. Sometimes I still get the urge and I've found that chewing gum and sipping water really helps. Or, when I'm not in the mood for gum (sorry I love veggies but never really enjoyed raw carrots), I eat a couple pieces of beef jerky- low fat, low cal, contains protein, but if you are watching your sodium intake might not be a great idea.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Definitely bring healthy snacks like the others have said.

Also try to challenge yourself every morning - tell yourself that you are NOT going to stop by the fast food place. When you're leaving work, tell yourself that you are NOT going to stop by the fast food place. When you're close to them, tell yourself that you are NOT going to stop by the fast food place. Even though you may feel like it's just too much of a temptation sometimes, when you've set right in your head all day long that you will absolutely not go there, it has a big effect on your actions.

If this seems like too big of a step all at once, you could look up online and find something you can get at the place for just 100-200 calories (or whatever you can budget into your calories) and do the same thing with challenging yourself, but instead tell yourself that you're only going to get that one particular thing. In my opinion though, it's easier to never turn into the fast food restaurant than to get into the drive through and then only order the healthier stuff.

Good luck. You can do it!

-Alison
  • KylieLynn
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I will definately try there suggestions. I know i can do it!
  • fancydog
    Options
    Hi, Some things I've done....when I get a craving from a fast food place I try (and it can be done) to search the menu for something that is good for me and wont blow my progress. McDonald's has that fruit/yougurt combo, order a kid's meal. I keep unsalted pretzels in my car to keep me from eating up the car seat on my way home, they are filling and keep my hunger at bay until the next meal. What I've been practicing for the last six months is fixing a week's worth of meals, on the weekend, I usually eat the same breakfast and lunch and plan my dinner around a different fish with veggies and brown rice (that's the plan this week). This has helped me keep in control....just some ideas...

I would further add that you are doing a great thing asking for advice... Stay strong,
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have read this 4 hours ago! My son and I stopped at McDonalds tonight, and I haven't eaten there in about a year. I had a huge mushroom and swiss burger ( I didn't realize it would be THAT big ). And of course, I'm one of those people who can't let food go to waste, so of course I ate the whole darned thing, plus french fries. I feel very bloated and sick. I wouldn't have done it, except I figured I had already overindulged today on cookies and chips, so what the heck, might as well go all the way. Not a very good way of going about things, I know, but I get that way sometimes.

Tomorrow is fresh and new, no mistakes yet, and I definitely WILL do better.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am in to exercise so I would suggest when you (ALL) are bored to do some fitness challenges! Sit-ups, pushups, dips, lunges, wall sits, jogging/marching in place or jumping jacks! Also DRINK water it will combat eating or over eating! You can do this, we know you can!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. You know the times that you're falling in to trouble, so make sure you have healthy alternatives on hand at those times. Ultimately, you are in control of whether you stop at the fast food joints or eat junk food with your co-workers. Keep your goals in mind. Does summer inspire you? I know it's my motivation...I don't know if you live in a cold winter climate, but I look forward to summer all winter long, and that's my motivation for sticking with it right now. You have to find your STRONGEST motivation. Be empowered in the fact that you are in total control of what you eat, and everything you eat is a choice. Make good choices!

Good Choices = No Regrets

:smile: