body fat %

Options
Megdmcda
Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
ok so i know not alot of ppl like the bf% calculators but opinions anyway.... i tried two different ones....one is based on on the measurments of my waist and hips....and another one based on measurements of neck, wasit, hips, calfs, thighs, and forearms and wrist. so which one would u think more accurate?

lol and please i don't want to hear that the only accurate way is w calipers or going to the doctors and what not....lol i know this....i can't afford this so i going by what i can...i know their guestimates.....lol so please.....help lol

Replies

• Megdmcda
    Options
    anybody? lol
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The navy uses a formula that measures the neck waist and hips for females.

Are you familiar with spreadsheets? I have one I can send you that will do the math for you.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    The navy uses a formula that measures the neck waist and hips for females.

Are you familiar with spreadsheets? I have one I can send you that will do the math for you.
    yes that's the one i tried.....it gives me a higher number than the one w the most measurements.
  • bceagleace
    bceagleace Posts: 22
    Options
    Calipers are not expensive. You can get plastic ones that are fine for under $10. They are by far not the most accurate though either, unless they are in the hands of a real expert who knows how to use them. If you get some and work at it, you can get a fairly accurate measurement. The methods you talk about are not accurate in the least.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    Calipers are not expensive. You can get plastic ones that are fine for under $10. They are by far not the most accurate though either, unless they are in the hands of a real expert who knows how to use them. If you get some and work at it, you can get a fairly accurate measurement. The methods you talk about are not accurate in the least.

where can i usually get one?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I got my calipers on Amazon. I care less about perfection and more about consistency-- as long as the number is going down, I'm happy :)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    amazon.com
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    I just ordered these on Amazon. It cost $9.45 for both the calipers and the myotape together:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B002VAPHXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335287636&sr=8-2
  • tonyrd3000
    tonyrd3000 Posts: 20
    Options
    The Air Force used to use one similar to the Navy, but for guys it was just Neck minus Waist and look at the height/number chart. I always thought it would be really inaccurate, however at that time I also got calipers and bio-impedance done (lay down on a mat and use two leads). All three methods were within one to two percent of each other. Hmmmm. . .
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    We have a scale that measures our BF with electric current.

My friend who is a personal trainer used the calipers to compare the readings - it was accurate 100%

Too easy. :)

But the scales were hellishly expensive - over $100.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    We have a scale that measures our BF with electric current.

My friend who is a personal trainer used the calipers to compare the readings - it was accurate 100%

Too easy. :)

But the scales were hellishly expensive - over $100.
    i saw a weight watchers one at rite aid for 30 bucks that does body fat% and water weight too....
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The Air Force used to use one similar to the Navy, but for guys it was just Neck minus Waist and look at the height/number chart. I always thought it would be really inaccurate, however at that time I also got calipers and bio-impedance done (lay down on a mat and use two leads). All three methods were within one to two percent of each other. Hmmmm. . .
    Yeah, it's the same with the Navy. Neck - Waist for guys. FWIW, I did some research about the method and they found it to be mostly accurate for military members. It was actually more accurate than the calipers if I remember it right. Of course, the study was conducted on military members which stacks the deck so to speak.....