IBS?

Options
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone else has IBS and what their 'Triggers' are?

I've noticed recently that mine are anything that is remotely bad for me! :)

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    msg for me and for my hubby we have just discovered wheat, well mainly breads. That actually could be an intolerance(sp) to gluton. finding it is running in his family. If you get the chance to read up on it please do. It was an eye opener.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Alcohol! I can have a glass of wine, but any more than that and I suffer. Last time I went out on a night out it destroyed my the next day, I barely left the bathroom, and my stomach was swollen and tender for a week after.

Lesson learnt! Just isn't worth it for the impact it has on my body, I was in a sulk because my workouts and runs were so rubbish the days following too

Fried food also tends to be one of my triggers but not to the same level
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi!

dairy
    corn
    bananas
    Red meat
    organ meats
    fried food
    animal fats
    nuts
    high fiber cereals
    processed poultry(lunch meats)
    any type of skin (on meat, fruit, or veggies)
    yeast breads
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My son has Crohn's disease. Check out " The Gluten Connection" from amazon.

and check this out.

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/eating-plan-for-inflammatory-bowel-disease#
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Meat - especially steak and bacon
    Anything Fried
    All dairy, even the tiniest bits
    Chips, even baked have an impact
    Caffeine
    Nuts
    Movie theater popcorn
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? They will be able to do tests to make sure you haven't got something else (Crohn's, Coeliac's, Bowel Cancer can all be disguised by IBS), but if you've already done this then you should try a low-FODMAP diet. FODMAP's are sugars/proteins found in foods that aren't always completely digested in the stomach. If they go on to the bowel they cause issues in some people with IBS.
    Monash University (in Australia) has found a link between FODMAP's in food and IBS symptoms - they say eating a low FODMAP diet can help something like 75% of people with IBS
    Here is a link to their site: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/ehcs/research/index.html
    Also check out www.ibsgroup.com, they have forums and blogs of people living with IBS, and heaps of links to more information about the low FODMAP diet.

Basically FODMAP's are found in wheat, dairy, some fruit (citrus, banana's and pineapple are ok), some vegies, beans/legumes, artificial sweeteners and food additives/preservatives. So to eliminate all of them is really strict. The aim is to find out which you are the most sensitive to and try to eat as little of that as possible, but generally you can still eat all of the above, but try to reduce your FODMAP load over the day (e.g. a piece of bread might be fine, but 2 pieces might make me sick, or 1 piece combines with a yoghurt might make me sick)

I'm currently eliminating all FODMAP's from my diet for a month (on day 7 now), and then I'm going to test each type of FODMAP to see how sensitive I am to it. I have to say that all my IBS symptoms have disappeared this week, it's been incredible! Add me as a friend if you like, and if you decide to go low FODMAP we can share meal ideas :)
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    After going to the dr and trying a low carb/ low gluten thing for a few weeks, I felt better...but I couldn't keep that up so we tried some other stuff...here are my triggers (or at least what I don't eat bc I feel are triggers)

Overdoing:
    Breads and Pastas
    Highly Processed

I have to take stool softeners, probiotics, and fish oil everyday to feel okay

Also, STRESS is probably my biggest trigger...and it doesn't help that I am stressed too much of the time
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    im like a goose too everything runs thru me
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have it and the best thing that has helped me is doing away with soft drinks and taking probiotics daily.
  • CarikeS
    CarikeS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mine gets triggered by wheat and strong coffee mostly, but there has been times that it seemed any and everything makes it flare up. Keep your food diary and make a record of your bowel movements or lack thereof. If you can't figure out what exactly is causing the symptoms, go see your Doc and enquire about a G scope. Good luck! I understand your discomfort. It can be a bit too much some days.