Amount of calories to eat

Options
So according to this, to lose 1 lb per day I need to eat about 1380 calories. But it doesnt take into account how active your lifestyle is. I wore my HR monitor all day at work today & is just under 10 hours burnt 1750 calories. Add to this BMR (amount of calories burnt if you were in a coma) & my maintainance weight calorie consumption would be 3130 without a workout. Yet MFP makes the amount of calories to eat so low.

What do you think? Do you take into consideration how many calories you burn going about your everyday activites.

Would be good to hear other peoples perspective :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you asked MFP to figure your goals did you set your activity level to sedentary? You might need to bump it up if you want it to take your lifestyle into account. Otherwise you can log the exercise you do at work and it will give you more calories.
  • elmedus
    elmedus Posts: 18
    Options
    Didnt class myself as sedantry as totally not & have actually changed my calorie goal to much higher to take into consideration. Was just wondering what others do, as it may be that those who have a quite active lifestyle are ending up undereating & therefore putting body into a more starvation mode
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So according to this, to lose 1 lb per day I need to eat about 1380 calories. But it doesnt take into account how active your lifestyle is. I wore my HR monitor all day at work today & is just under 10 hours burnt 1750 calories. Add to this BMR (amount of calories burnt if you were in a coma) & my maintainance weight calorie consumption would be 3130 without a workout. Yet MFP makes the amount of calories to eat so low.

What do you think? Do you take into consideration how many calories you burn going about your everyday activites.

Would be good to hear other peoples perspective :)

I'm 200lbs, run 40km per week, lift weights etc and if I ate 3130 cal every day I would probably start packing on the pounds again.

Your BMR doesn't get added to the calories you observed being burned during your HRM experiment (if you read the manual that came with your HRM you'll probably find yourself being advised against this kind of measurement as they're not intended for that purpose and the results aren't probably very accurate)

I suspect you meant lose 1lb per week?

If someone sets their activity level as sedentary and MFP comes up with a net calorie goal of X calories per day then it would be appropriate to eat back the exercise calories. If they have accurately assessed their activity level and set their calorie goal based on then then they wouldn't. To err on the side of caution I set my activity level at the one above sedentary but add back only calories from actual exercise.