C2 5k Program.. Advice Please?

Options
Hello, I'm starting the c2 5k program tonight and am not a runner lol, I currently walk 2-3miles 4-5 days a week but this will be my frist attempt at running :-) My question is, does it matter how I do this program aka if I do it on the street or on a track? I would like to do it on a track at the local high school because to be honest the thought of myself running down a busy street and ppl seeing my body scares me lol Thoughts?

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A track is probably a good place to start because you won't have anything getting in the way of your time when you are on the jogging portion of it (like a red light crosswalk or something).

Have fun!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you do it - inside, outside, track or down the street. Its all about running for time at the beginning.

The key is finding a place where you're comfortable. For me it's early AM through the neighborhood streets or trails - anywhere except a sidewalk or treadmill.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The track will be easier on your feet (if it's a proper track that is).

BUT less interesting since you'll just be running around and around...

It will be easier to track your distance...

I used to run on a track and I LOVED it... but where I live now that's not an option so I run around town instead. Haha. Not as comfortable but whatever...
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do what feels good to you! It's about getting out there and running. I have heard that some even run on a treadmill. Personally I found a park that had the flattest path I could find. Just take it slowly. You will surprise yourself. I started in late September and have been running ever since. There are others that are faster, but I am only running for myself. Get some good shoes and repeat workouts if you feel it is necessary. That would be my advice.

Good Luck! :happy:
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I say it doesn't matter as long as your do it outside. Running on a treadmill is way different than running outside.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! How are you supposed to space out your running days? Every other day or every day? and what would you reccommend, timed or distance??
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    every other day. If you're following C25k, that's 3 days a week. The rest days are VERY important.
  • sueceeq
    sueceeq Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K program and ran my first 5k this past Saturday :) I have never been a runner, but I was an on again/off again walker.
    I started the C25K program using the app on my smartphone and going strictly by time. I ran on the roads, I ran on trails, and I ran at the high school track. I just needed to change it up, so run where you are comfortable.
    At about the 6 week mark I started running by distance. Because the program is based on a 10 minute mile and I am MUCH slower than that I needed to know that I was running the proper distance. I started at the track so I knew exactly how far I was running. Then I started using mapmyrun.com so I could run the roads as well because that is more convenient for me. You can map out your course so that you know how far you are going. I downloaded that app as well, it told me my distance, time, etc. Now that I have finished the C25K program I am strictly using mapmyrun so I can track my improvements.
    My schedule for running was Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Some weeks early on I would run on Sunday as well, it would just depend on how I felt. Later, when I was running more distance I stuck to 3 days a week.
    Most of all, stick with it! If I can do it, anyone can. I could never imagine myself running 3 miles, but I did it! And it felt so good and I am continuing to run because I LIKE it! Who knew lol
    Good luck and enjoy race day! Be proud of yourself!!!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! How are you supposed to space out your running days? Every other day or every day? and what would you reccommend, timed or distance??

It mostly depended on my schedule, but I tried to do every other day - so some weeks it was 3 runs some weeks it was 4. I focused first on the time. Once I completed running for 30 minutes I worked on distance, since it took me longer than 30 minutes to finish a 5K. I considered myself a C25K grad when I ran the allotted time.