Ready to lose big :P

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
So, a friend of mine has been using this site for a bit and told me the tracking system was really great. I figured "Hey what do I have to lose?"
The answer: Only about 70lbs.
I am 23, only 5'3" and weight over 200lbs. And I WISH it were all muscle. Over the last few years, I started eating fast food WAY too often, sitting on the couch way too much and just basically not caring about it.
Last year I realized I am at high risk for diabetes, and also started to have other weight related health problems (like my asthema being worse, water retention and swelling in my legs and feet ect.) and decided enough with being a lazy 23 yr old couch potato. SO I joined a gym, got a trainer and worked out begrudgingly 2 times a week.
And I didn't try, and I gained more weight.
This time though, quitting isn't an option. The extra pounds have got to go, not only for my health but my self-esteem as well. I am trying to eat better, and exercise more. I still have 6 months of that gym membership left, and I plan on using it. The eating better thing is where I really fall short though because meals are often a grab-on-the go kind of thing for me.
So if anyone has suggestions for healthy on the go meals, or words of encouragement that would be great :)
This time I plan on sticking with it and not giving up when I dont lost fast enough or in the "right places."

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You found a great site. There's lots of very successful people here. Welcome and good luck!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Im wanting to lose the same amaount and i started out at 200. add me and we can support each other!! Ill help get you there! add me! :flowerforyou:
  • leanneb205
    leanneb205 Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi good luck! Feel free to add me! Im over 200lb !
  • MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    I have over a 100 to lose, this site is really amazing, The 10 lbs I have lost so far, I wouldn't have done it without mfp
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Your in a good place, just remember - eat healthy, log everything and just start moving!
  • garfield2099
    Options
    I agree a lot of people here have a lot of great information to assist you along your journey!

Grab and go is what I used to do and trust me it was not fun and not cheap either.

#1 thing to do is to log EVERYTHING you eat - sauces included - this way you gain a lot of insight to what is good and what is not - and this tells you more of what is going on
    #2 log on the bad days - we all have these days where you just over eat or issues come up and it happens but log it and let it go!
    #3 make ahead - one of the things that always caused my wife and I to eat out - was the fact that we did not get food or laziness - now every night's meal is planned out and is ready either that night or the night before and just reheated - the same is true for lunch - it is made in the morning so that there is not the choice to eat out without having to weight the choice...

Wish you the best!!
  • ssuksdorf
    ssuksdorf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite grab-and-go foods (not a meal, though) is string cheese. Good calcium, relatively low calories, and individually packaged.
  • Cedura
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on planning ahead on meals.... Looks like I should add organization to my weight loss regimen. And maybe I should buy a lunch box :)
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    You have pink hair, let us bond. UoU

A good on the go thing is yogurt or fruits. Greek yogurt has awesome protein and is yumminess.
    It's not really a meal, but smalls snacks throughout the day are better than a big meal sometimes.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Over the last few years, I started eating fast food WAY too often, sitting on the couch way too much and just basically not caring about it.
    Just say "no" to fast food. Period. No to french fries. No to soft drinks. Those are the worst things in the world for you. If you must get a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and a water. That would pass for a good meal but it's better to just avoid those places.
    The eating better thing is where I really fall short though because meals are often a grab-on-the go kind of thing for me.
    So if anyone has suggestions for healthy on the go meals, or words of encouragement that would be great :)
    When at all possible plan your meals and snacks ahead of time. That's the #1 tip I would give anyone here. Everyone here at work likes to go out to eat all the time but bringing my lunch lets me avoid that temptation. The further ahead you plan the more in control you are. I generally grill 5 - 10 pounds of chicken on Sunday so I have good meal options. I take some for lunches and my wife has me cut up some that she puts in her salads.

Cool tip on the salads. She gets these larger Rubbermaid containers, Puts dressing in the bottom, Adds some vegetables(cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, etc) as a layer, and then puts spinach or lettuce on top of the vegetables. The lettuce sits on the vegetables and doesn't touch the dressing. The vegetables don't get soggy from the dressing so she can make up 5 at a time and have a good salad prepped for every day of the week.
    This time I plan on sticking with it and not giving up when I dont lost fast enough or in the "right places."
    Sadly you're "right places" tend to be the last place that your body wants to let go of the weight. Still you'll see and notice great progress before you get half way to were you want to be and there will be progress. Just be patient.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm super busy with school and work all the time and resorted to eating crappy fast food for a long time too. I suggest easy things to grab that actually fill you up. I do alot of string cheese, yogurts, and fruit. I eat healthish (Kashi and Lean Cuisine- they're low cal and portion controlled, at least) frozen dinners on weeknights and cook less lowcal, but healthy meals on the weekends. Oatmeal is good too. I just saw some yummy looking recipes for refrigerator oatmeal that looks delish and can be made ahead too.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    Just be creative and know when you eat poorly. For me it when I'm tired and stressed, I assume it's that way for most people. I just plan ahead when I know I'm going to be craving something bad for me and make sure I have good options at hand.
    Working out helps me curb my appetite a lot too, getting into a routine is key for me. I'm bummed when I have to miss a workout now.
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    Plan ahead and be prepared. I have found over the years that I fall off the wagon when I don't have the right food at home or don't have something ready. When I get home from work I am starving and if there is not something quick and healthy I make bad food choices. Now I have bowl of fruit ready, as well as making several chicken breasts on Sunday evenings. This makes it easy to make a quick salad. Think about your next meal right after you have eaten. Seems to me I plan ahead better when my tummy is satisfied. You can do it just remember to make yourself a priority.
  • missxh0llywo0d
    missxh0llywo0d Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow... I think you just summed up my entire story as well! We've got a lot in common! I just started using MFP last week, despite being a member for a bit longer. I have found it very useful so far, but as others have already stated, you've got to log EVERYTHING you eat to really get a sense of just how MUCH you're truly eating. Also, what has been working for me so far is to divide snacks and stuff up into portions in little baggies, that way I know I'm only eating ONE serving and not eight. Haha. Also, if you do that with fruits and veggies as well (prepare ahead of time) you will be more likely to grab that rather than the chips (... or cake frosting<<<
    I am so guilty!) when you're hungry! :) Anyways, just stay strong and stick to it!

P.S. I'm adding you!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • Cedura
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement.
  • jennstevens21
    jennstevens21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey i am over 200 too. Feel free to add me. I am seeing great results right now. As far as what to eat all i can say is keep it natural. I make food ahead of time. I roast whole chickens on sunday and have it for salads etc for the whole week. Dont starve, eat more food just better food and you will be fine.