30 DAY SHRED- MUSCLE REPAIR?

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
So, I just bought the 30 day shred DVD. I have two concerns and am in need of your opinion! First, if this workout is a full-body workout that is done every day, when does that leave room for muscle repair? I've always left a day for muscle repair. Second, I am used to doing 45 minute circuit training workouts, so 20 min. sounds like it would still work my muscles but I wouldn't be burning as many calories, correct?
Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had the same questions...
  • Debstarr13
    Debstarr13 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • mightymac
    mightymac Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i'm doing the 30day shred also, was just doing level 1, 3 days a week with a 40 min walk after, i found it got to easy, so i have now doing leel 1 and level 2 back to back plus my walk, i will still do it 3 days a week, at the mo i'm doing the shred tues, wed, fri, i do only the walk on mon and no set exercise for weekend, as i quite often i'm out with the kids on our bikes etc, which is enough. so i seem to be having enough rest days at present, need it after doing leel 2 its a killer lol
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's not actually meant to be done every day, that was just the marketing approach. I did it every other day or in between running days as strength training. On average, I'd burn around 230 - 245 calories (using a HRM) for the workout, depending on the level. Level 3, I usually burn more calories because of the weights being incorporated in the cardio. I'm fairly petite though so other people may have higher burns.
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    dawlschic, can i ask your height/weight? I am 5'6 and 133 lbs and I have been estimating that I burn about 115 cals in one session for Level 1. Completely an estimate, assuming that MFP overestimates calories burned. Just wondering your stats compared to mine to see if I am way off :)

Also, to OP, when doing the 30 DS I did it every day with no negative side effects besides looking awesome and feeling even better :P
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 128 pounds but I started at 133 pounds. I didn't get my HRM until after I started Level 2, but I do know that the MFP estimate (using general circuit training) was almost exactly the same calorie burn as what my HRM said. It also depends on what size weights you are using. At the time, I did Level 2 with 3 lbs weights (that was all I had) and then I did most of Level 3 with 8 lb weights in the strength training and 3 lbs for the cardio and my burn was slightly higher.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Also, to OP, when doing the 30 DS I did it every day with no negative side effects besides looking awesome and feeling even better :P

^^^This!

The first time I did 30DS I was skeptical about it only being 25 minutes or so but had seen glowing reviews here on MFP. I gave it a shot. Day 3 was the worst for soreness but was gone by day 6. After 30 days, in addition to losing 11 pounds (eating at least half my exercise calories back) I lost about 3 inches (if i remember correctly) off the belly.

Flat out......JM's 30DS does work! However, I have found that with JM exercises (or exercising in general) you pretty much get out of it what you put into it. If it's too easy, make it harder by adding weights. You can always try to do more reps in each of the circuits as well.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has advised against doing it every day herself, but I can never find the interview. It's a very intense, short workout, and quite heavy on the joints so just be sensible as you go.
  • EPICSRT
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 128 pounds but I started at 133 pounds. I didn't get my HRM until after I started Level 2, but I do know that the MFP estimate (using general circuit training) was almost exactly the same calorie burn as what my HRM said. It also depends on what size weights you are using. At the time, I did Level 2 with 3 lbs weights (that was all I had) and then I did most of Level 3 with 8 lb weights in the strength training and 3 lbs for the cardio and my burn was slightly higher.

I'm 5'10" and at the time I started 30DS I was 200 pounds and had the same results as you. My HRM was almost the exact same as logging general circuit training, plus or minus about 15 calories. But I do have to say that I busted *kitten* each workout.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has advised against doing it every day herself, but I can never find the interview. It's a very intense, short workout, and quite heavy on the joints so just be sensible as you go.

I think it may even say that at the beginning of the DVD. I should have that thing memorized by now... lol
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Recently Jillian had a newsletter that said the 30 day shred could be done everyday. It is one the member side of her webpage.
  • EPICSRT
    Options

I think it may even say that at the beginning of the DVD. I should have that thing memorized by now... lol

I think all she states at the beginning is to take a day off as a break or something. On the Ripped in 30 I believe she specifically states to take at least one day off a week.
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks for the info :) I started out using 5lb weights. Good info to know, thanks so much :) Appreciated!