I just feel like giving up!

Options
I have been eating clean, everything I'm supposed to. I'm a veteran dieter ( unfortunately ) so I know what it takes to lose weight and how long it takes to get it off. But this time is different. I haven't seen any real movement on the scales since June 1st and I am so disgusted.

I would just like to know from you all what you do to stay motivated even when you aren't seeing any loss. I feel like going out for a pizza! Ugh.

Replies

• audinphx
    audinphx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    UGH...I hear you! Sometimes I give in, and go out for pizza...and sometimes I convince myself, that it's just water, and to hold out another day, and by the next day, something changes.

I'm really struggling, and have actually gone up a few pounds this week...so I'm really trying to log everything I'm putting into my mount, and getting some extra activity going. But, it sure seems like everything is a struggle this week.

Keep the faith.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It's only tuesday and I'm struggling this week too. Just need to charge on and hope the week/month gets better.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • mdxbam
    mdxbam Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm actually in the same boat right now. I just keep at it though. Sometimes all you need is to give it some time. :smile:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey pretty lady!! Get off the pity horse and jump back on the wagon!! The pizza is sooooooo not worth it....to me...it's a gateway drug. Have you measured lately?? Oh and since I am cliche-ing all over the place....slow and steady wins the race!!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Are you logging EVERYTHING? Have you looked up your TDEE? That has changed everything for me. I wasn't eating enough calories and wasn't losing at all. I upped my calories by 300 a day and I've been losing every day since.
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I keep track of my measurements too. When I am not seeing much movement on the scale, I usually find that I am still losing inches. That helps keep my motivation up. Good luck. You will get this!!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    take your measurements, change your goals - they may be too aggressive(if its set for 2 pounds a week change it to 1.5 or 1) a week... eat more... exercise more/change your exercise.. stop trying to hard (seriously.. I didn't lose a pound when I was trying super hard.. quit trying so hard.. lost 8) drink water...

you haven't said what you do for exercise, you don't say how many calories you are eating, are you weighing and measuring everything? you are a 'veteran dieter' my guess is you go by the eat less... lose more philosophy...are you eating back your exercise calories? if you are maybe cut back to eating half... if you aren't go up to eating more.

There are a million possibilities. I have been at this since 2010... and have lost 8 pounds... but had I not tried for 2 years.... I would have probably gained about 50 or more... so giving up really isn't an option if you are serious about losing weight. If you want pizza... eat pizza... seriously don't deprive yourself of ANYTHING because eventually you will just end up eating it and everything in its path.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Keep with it! I am runner and for me I sign up for races about every 90 days to push myself. Depending on what you enjoy doing for exercise see if there are events around you to keep you motivated.
  • anthemforagirl
    Options
    You might be on a plateau... Increase your calorie intake for a couple days and then go back down to what you are doing now.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes I plateau for weeks without movement but then the scale moves a bunch the following week after. Just remain on dedicated n be patient (I know it's hard) w ur body. Good luck!
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I keep track of my measurements too. When I am not seeing much movement on the scale, I usually find that I am still losing inches. That helps keep my motivation up. Good luck. You will get this!!!

This was to be my advise.. I saw changes on the tape measure before I saw any changes on the scale.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You have to separate yourself from the feeling this is just a temporary fix to a permanent problem... Your don't want to be a veteran dieter.... You want to make this a lifestyle and nothing short of that... Only then will the scale not be your end all be all... Living a healthy sustained lifestyle is the only thing you should be striving for and once a week if you want that Pizza then by all means have some I do.... Best of Luck....
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a year and a half - I'm 23 lbs away from my goal - and my scale stopped moving MONTHS ago!!!!!
    But it's a life change and I ain't going back to the old life! That's how you gottta look at it. It doesn't matter when you get there, it only matters that you never give up!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have been doing the same, not "cheated" once. I log everything and have been exercising like crazy. I too was miffed with the scales. Everyone wants instant gratification. What keeps me going is that I KNOW it will pay off, and I want to see it so I keep going. Kindof like reading the book unitl the ending. I bought a FITBIT last week and it is awesome! Cannot tell you how happy I am with it. ( FITBIT.COM) for more info. It gives you goals by what you tell it are your goals.... it tells you about calories in verses out. Gives you a complete view of your day. Even logs slepp. The best part it syncs to fitnesspal so you dont have to double log food. I dropped 4 pounds in 4 days after this purchase, I do account it for some, because it really pushes me. Keep going, it honestly takes a good 8 weeks before any real results. Of course we hear - its muscle, water weight, your period.... on and on.........it took me several years to gain it, so I suspect it will take me 6 months to be satisfied.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Go for the pizza!

Okay, now before everyone yells at me ... here is why....

Sometimes you just have to jump start your body.... That's why zig-zaggin cals are so popular.

I find that sometimes just eating a day or two outside the norm get the metabolism going and then I start losing again.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so can't comment on how/what you are eating.

But, don't give it up. Stalls and plateaus are common, and if you just hang in there, it WILL happen.

Make sure you are drinking enough water. Sometimes the body needs a boost in hydration to get things going.

Focus on how well you feel rather than what the scale says. My biggest motivation comes from feeling good for eating healthy, rather than feeling poorly because the naughty scale isn't moving.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    When I feel that way, I think to myself, "What is giving up going to get me?" If I'm discouraged because I'm not losing weight, then there's no point in giving up because that's going to have the exact same effect. If I'm persistent and just keep trying, then eventually I'll see the result I want. But if I go back to eating junk food and not paying attention to my health, then that's not ever going to happen!

If what you're doing isn't working, the solution is to try something else, not to give up. Allow for trial and error. Give yourself the opportunity to find what works.
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What is your current plan?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm a veteran dieter ( unfortunately ) so I know what it takes to lose weight and how long it takes to get it off. But this time is different. I haven't seen any real movement on the scales since June 1st

Unfortunately if you are a veteran dieter, then the changes you are making are clearly not lifestyle changes. I do not mean to be harsh, but this is a little bit of tough love. Try some new techniques if your old ones are not working.