Tae Bo calories burned over estimated on MFP???

Options
I've been reading different posts on here that say MFP overestimates calories burned for most forms of exercise. I feel like the different Tae Bo dvd's I do are pretty high intensity and a Turbo Jam workout as well. They do give me high numbers for calories burned. I usually subtract 5 minutes from the actual time I spent doing the workout in case MFP is overestimating. I am someone who chooses to eat back most of my calories burned and it has worked for me in the past but if MFP is overestimating by a lot that makes me a little nervous. {I did WW Online a couple years ago and it also gave large numbers for cals burned for Tae Bo} What's your opinion on this?

Replies

• KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    This is frustrating. I was so excited about my workouts and using MFP. Now I hear the only real way to measure is with a good HRM. UGH!!!! :sad:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    Has anyone out there used a good HRM and done a 50 minute kickboxing dvd like Tae Bo or Turbo Jam. Do you know if the calories burned were close to what MFP states?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is one of those cases where "it depends on the person".

Here's a simple way to "wing it".... Rate your intensity level on a scale from 1 to 10, then multiply by number of minutes. That should put you in the ballpark.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I thought they had tae bo under track exercise. I did the original tae bo and burned 900 calories an hour. But it depends on height and weight. try www.caloriesperhour.com
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    they say you burn about 500 to 800 calories per hour of Tae-Bo according to Livestrong.com..

I just did 20 mins and I don't care if it's true or not but I definitely did burn 200 cals
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need a HRM. I only burn 250 cals in 45 mins of Tae Bo.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I suggest the HRM, only because of experience. I was walking at a 3.0 pace for 45 minutes a day, MFP said I was burning anwyhere from 50-60 calories MORE than I actually did; but when I did calisthenics work outs, it said I burned anywhere from 50-100 calories more. So eating all that back was making me gain weight and quite frankly discouraging and upsetting to see the # rise on the scale.

I have the FT7 by Polar and it is a dream - you input your height, current weight, and all other stats. When you are ready to work out, you simply start it and go. Post work out, it tells you time/duration, calories burned, fat burned etc. It can be pricey but WORTH EVERY PENNY. And shop around for it too, I have heard different people pay wayyyy different amounts depending on the store, coupons, etc.
  • Chunky_As_Charged
    Options
    If you can't get a HRM, maybe try taking your pulse at the start, middle, and end of your workout and then averaging the numbers together. Then use the link below. It might give you a more accurate calorie count?

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. I have the Tae Bo power workout with the weighted gloves. So far I have not done the entire 60 minutes, but the 30 min I did complete, I burned less on my HRM than MFP calculated.
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    I thought they had tae bo under track exercise. I did the original tae bo and burned 900 calories an hour. But it depends on height and weight. try www.caloriesperhour.com

They do have it on here and I've been using it but some people say MFP overestimates. Darn
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    they say you burn about 500 to 800 calories per hour of Tae-Bo according to Livestrong.com..

I just did 20 mins and I don't care if it's true or not but I definitely did burn 200 cals

I've been doing anywhere from 50-70 minutes of Tae Bo each time and I know it is a high intensity workout and I bust my butt the entire time so I figured the calorie's burned on here had to be close even though they are high. It's a tough workout so I would hope we burn a good amount of calories doing it! :wink:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    Get a HRM. I have the Tae Bo power workout with the weighted gloves. So far I have not done the entire 60 minutes, but the 30 min I did complete, I burned less on my HRM than MFP calculated.

Now I really want to get a HRM just to see how many calories I actually burn. It's gotta be a decent amount. I've been doing Tae Bo Power and This is Tae Bo with the weighted gloves and have been doing the entire workout so hopefully I'm burning some mega calories. I've used Tae Bo on/off for the last 20 years and it always gets me in shape quickly. Good luck to you!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Here's a simple way to "wing it".... Rate your intensity level on a scale from 1 to 10, then multiply by number of minutes. That should put you in the ballpark.

use this

Rate-of-Perceived-Exertion1.jpg
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options

I "think" I'm pretty intense with my workouts. I like high intensity workouts that push me and kick my butt. I feel like Tae Bo does that for me so I would hope all this high intensity working out I've been doing is putting out good results with burning calories. I just might try your method for now til I can get a good HRM. Thanks!
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options

use this

Rate-of-Perceived-Exertion1.jpg

Yikes, using this chart produces a lower number of calories burned.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Now I really want to get a HRM just to see how many calories I actually burn. It's gotta be a decent amount. I've been doing Tae Bo Power and This is Tae Bo with the weighted gloves and have been doing the entire workout so hopefully I'm burning some mega calories. I've used Tae Bo on/off for the last 20 years and it always gets me in shape quickly. Good luck to you!
    http://www.bodytronics.com/c/polar_heart_rate_monitors

From my research I've found this to be the best prices I've seen yet on Polar brand FT4's and FT7's. Use the code POP and it'll give you a 5% discount on top of the low cost plus they offer free shipping. I personally haven't found a better site (low cost, reputable, free shipping etc.), so now all I need to do is pick which model I prefer and ORDER IT!:blushing: :bigsmile:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options

http://www.bodytronics.com/c/polar_heart_rate_monitors

From my research I've found this to be the best prices I've seen yet on Polar brand FT4's and FT7's. Use the code POP and it'll give you a 5% discount on top of the low cost plus they offer free shipping. I personally haven't found a better site (low cost, reputable, free shipping etc.), so now all I need to do is pick which model I prefer and ORDER IT!:blushing: :bigsmile:

I'm going to check it out. Thanks so much! :happy:
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do several high intensity kickboxing (weighted gloves) and aerobic workouts: Cathe, Jari Love, Ilaria Montagnani, and Amy Bento, and MFP can overestimate by as much as two times the calories ... which I believe had a huge impact on my two month plateau.

Since using my FT60 HRM, I'm losing again.
  • amccart4
    amccart4 Posts: 12
    Options
    I do Tae Bo Power and Tae Get Ripped Extreme, and I use my MIO HRM. Based on weight, I burn about between 500-700 calories in a 60 min workout. I actually had the HRM set for ~50 lbs less than my current weight, and it was definitely giving me a lower number(as it should, for a lower weight), but even then I was burning 400-500 cals in a workout. The estimate should be based on your weight and your VO2 max. Google VO2max calculator and you should be able to plug in your stats and whatnot...it will at least give you a good estimate of the range you should be in.

I spent $100 on my HRM and I've had it for years. Definitely worth the money. I got one that didn't have the chest strap. You might also look at something like a fitbit or BodyBugg. I have a fitbit and it's AMAZING. It's like a pedometer, altimeter, and general fitness tracker all in one. It estimates your TDEE(total daily energy expenditures) based on your overall activity. And it logs onto the fitbit site, which can be linked with MFP. It has truly changed the way I eat, exercise, and move day to day. Here's the website if you want to check it out:

www.fitbit.com

Also, if youre not on Groupon, keep an eye out...I just bought a replacement HRM in case my current one conks out...they had a groupon for $10 for an $80 HRM!!!! And I just saw one for a multi-axis pedometer, as well as for a set of fitness DVDs. Never hurts to know what's out there!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Fitbit recommendation. It's been spot on for exercise, I don't even use my HRM anymore.