Beginner Runner Tips

Options
annokoye
annokoye Posts: 125 Member
I am not a beginner runner but I really do not like running so that is why I used the above subject name. I am in the Air Force Reserve and I am required to be far more physically fit than I am right now. I failed my PT Test twice which Is really horrible and I am really not proud to be making this post; however, I know at times it is a must to put your pride to the side and accept the truth for what it is and work diligently at trying to make changes. I have been running with a co-worker doing intervals on some days and running the entire time on other days. I am so disappointed in myself because I can't seem to see much progress and I have until the last week of August to knock 3 minutes off my run time. My co-worker has constantly told me when I am running I can't stop. Her assessment regarding my running is as follows: I am taking short swift breaths rather than taking slowly and in a more controlled manner, I am taking shorter strides rather than stretching out my legs for long strides, and finally that I have a psychological battle going on in my mind that I can't do it. She has told me that I am improving but it really hurts that I feel like I am not improving at all because I still stop instead of completing the entire time without stopping. Currently my workout schedule is as follows Mon, Wed, Fri 0600hrs Boot Camp- High Cardio Aerobics and Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat are my running days. Is it realistic to get my run time 3 minutes down by August? Currently running 1.5 miles in 19 minutes. Some days I run well and can complete it in 18 minutes, but today I stopped several times prior to completing it in 18 minutes. Please no negative comments. It took a lot for me to post this because it is really embarrassing to me at this point.

Replies

• justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself and gradually increase your speed would be my advice. Otherwise I don't think it's unrealistic to shoot for 1.5miles in 15 minutes by August.

Getting back into running one of the things that helped me in terms of technique was 'Chi Running' -- http://www.active.com/women/Articles/5-Elements-of-Chi-Running.htm

I'm sure you'll receive more helpful comments then mine, I'm just starting out (again). I wish I could run 1.5 miles in 19mins!
  • annokoye
    annokoye Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you comments. I appreciate any advise given all the same.

Very/Respectful
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do is longer, slow runs. Don't just run 1.5 miles. Run 3 miles at a slow easy pace. It really will enable you to increase your pace on the shorter runs. You may not want to go out and try to run 3 miles right away, but slowly add. Make at least one or two of your runs longer at an easy pace. Also, it does help to breathe slowly and deeply. Every 3 steps, breathe in, and then 3 steps, breathe out. Don't get hung up on the breathing though. That is just a general guideline.

Check out goodformrunning.com to make sure your form is right.

I started running in December using the Couch to 5K program, and am now running 3 times a week. 3-5 miles on 2 of the runs, and working up to 6.5 miles so far on the weekends. Sometimes I really push my pace, but on the longer runs I just try for a slow, sustainable pace. I have gone from averaging over 12 min per mile to 10 minutes per mile on my last 4 mile run.

You can totally do this. Just relax!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Can you cut your running days down to 4 days a week instead of 5? Having back to back runs may not be helping you right now. I would also suggest to at least spend two of your running days working on endurance - running for longer periods of time at a slower pace and then the other two days you can work on your speed. Try doing intervals, like running fast for 30 secs to a minute then walk for a minute and slowly build your time up. You can look into programs like the Couch 2 5K program to help you with the speed interval timing.

I also try to take 3 deep breaths in and 3 exhales. It helps to get yourself out of your head and focus on your breathing and can keep you from getting side stitches and what not.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just started running in JAN. I did the interval thing run fast 30 sec slow for 41/2 min during a whole hour workout.A marathon runner at the gym I workout at gave me this tip. I gradually built up to longer runs on the intervals. I became amazed at how this routine actually increased my speed. Now when I want to increase my speed I do this same method. I am by no means an expert, but I can say it worked for me. Yesterday I ran 7.5 miles. Most of it was at 6MPH enough to pass the test!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just started running in JAN. I did the interval thing run fast 30 sec slow for 41/2 min during a whole hour workout.A marathon runner at the gym I workout at gave me this tip. I gradually built up to longer runs on the intervals. I became amazed at how this routine actually increased my speed. Now when I want to increase my speed I do this same method. I am by no means an expert, but I can say it worked for me. Yesterday I ran 7.5 miles. Most of it was at 6MPH enough to pass the test!

quill - you are amazing!!!
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    Another Air Force member here, only difference is I'm active duty. Your min time for 1.5 miles is 16:58, if you are under 30. This is obtainable by August if you are willing to put in the work. The few things that will help you are; increasing your running distance (longer runs), interval training (sprint the straights and walk the turns on the track), and strengthen your core. I am a UFPM for my sq. and all these methods have seen many Airmen knock out that PT test! Also, your servicing MPF will have a HAWK where they generally have a nutritionist and exercise physiologist! You can use them for FREE :) If you have any questions or need help, by all means ask away!

Best Wishes,
    Lt. Emely-Poynter
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also, don't worry about the short strides. They're probably saving your knees.

You might find however, that if you just concentrate on pumping your arms faster, you can increase your pace a bit using the same stride. Small strides are more efficient. But concentrate on the arms not the legs. And RELAX!

I also think you might be over training a bit, but only you can really judge that.
  • nailqueen74
    nailqueen74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am going to do Couch to 5K this summer. Maybe you should check that out?
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey first, thank you for your service! Second, I agree with advice to do longer runs to build up your endurance. I agree about the breaths and to relax. As for the strides I'm still struggling with that.
    Good luck on your run and relax! It sounds like you are getting close!
  • jjsima
    jjsima Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been a runner, even when I was a pretty good athlete in high school, I could never run. I am 39, several months ago decided to buckle down and lose weight the "right" way. I started running. The one tip I was given that has helped me a TON is focus on your breathing and everything else will fall into place. I did exactly that and I run 1.5 - 2 miles 5 times a week. I breath in 2 counts and exhale 2 counts and those counts are right with my foot steps. Now that I've gotten to be a better runner, I changed my counts to 3. I don't have time to convince myself that "I have to stop" or "I can't do this" or I'll never make another lap" because I'm focusing on my breathing. The speed will get better with time. Good luck to you : ))
  • irunnakedtoo
    irunnakedtoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the Air Force as well but Active Duty. I just sprained my ankle last month and am trying to get back to running because I have my PT test on the 17th. I can run my 1.5 in 14 mins right now and am trying to get it down to 12 by the 17th so I think that you can drop yours by the time you want by August.

For me I do the test. I do push ups, sit ups and run. I do run more than 1.5 miles though. I try to run 3 miles so that I have the endurance to run 1.5. It works for me. Not sure if it will work with you. Try to set a pace and keep with it. A lot of times we run too fast at the beginning and then can't keep up the pace at the end. I find that running with music helps me not focus on the running.

If you are taking short strides, do try to open your gait a bit, however, be careful not to open it up too much for your height. This is hard to explain, but if you open it up too much then it is like you are braking as you run. Make sense? Try to keep your breathing even. Also try to keep your arms from getting too tight and don't cross them across your body because this will cause cramps.

Good luck!
  • laurenlind
    laurenlind Posts: 52
    Options
    First of all, I want to say that I think you are doing an awesome job with your commitment to your goal! Please do not feel embarassed- you are out there WORKING towards your goal... that is nothing to be embarassed of!
    I wish I had some sage advice for you, but I am also a beginner runner. Hopefully, you can just take some comfort in knowing that I was the person who thought she COULDN'T run, and I have been gradually increasing my distance, and surprising myself that if I keep up with it, I am able to run for longer, faster. I think the advice that you got sounds great... you just need to have confidence in yourself that you will get there. If you are battling in your head the whole time, I can see where you could get discouraged and want to stop. Just try telling yourself when you start out for a run that you are doing better than you would be if you were sitting on the couch, and really push yourself to do a little bit more than the last time you ran. One thing that I have found to help me while I am running (and wanting to stop the whole time!!!) is repeating some kind of a mantra when the going really gets tough. Sometimes it is something about my form, i.e. "shoulders down, head up.. shoulders down, head up", or it might be a short inspirational quote. It just kind of helps me keep my rhythm, keep my mind on the run and accomplishing my goals.
    Keep up the good work- you will get your time down!!! :smile:
  • laurenlind
    laurenlind Posts: 52
    Options
    oh, and the mantra is repeated in my head, for fear of becoming the town's crazy out of shape runner who talks to herself! ha!:wink:
  • heatherbarstar
    Options
    I've had a similar experience. What I found worked well for me as far as increasing speed was hill training. Especially trying to run intervals on hills. At first I had to walk for a bit after each interval in order to catch my breath and then continue with medium paced run before doing another interval. This really helped to strengthen my hip and glute muscles. After doing this with no walking recovering sections over 8km (with 3km total worth of hills) 3x's per week I noticed a huge difference in my speed on flat terrain. Took about two months to be able to do it without needing to walk after sprint intervals. Hope this helps!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i agree with the previous statements of working on your distance first, your pace with quicken as you put more miles on your legs. i went from running 12.5 min miles to 9.5 min miles by increasing my distance.. not focusing on my pace.. now that i have the distance down that i want to run, i work on my pacing by doing tempo runs. here is a link to tempo runs:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11909-0,00.html

good luck. you can do it! also thank you for serving our country! xx

*edit* hills.. run hills.. they help tons!
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helped me get my breathing under control is to concentrate on breathing OUT, not in. Focus on getting all the air in your lungs out with every breath. Your body will automatically take in the next breath, so you don't need to focus on the intake.

And I totally agree with you... running is a mental battle! Get some good music that makes you feel powerful and just keep telling yourself that you need to keep running to the next landmark (or the next minute on the treadmill) and then just keep going past that...
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Before I joined the military in 1978 I was running 10 miles a day. I spent 4 years on our high school cross country team. I found that hill training really helped build endurance. Running should be a relaxing exercise. So relax, you can do this. Couch to 5 k would be a great start. There are a lot of exercises you can do to help build your strength. These exercises will help protect your body from accidents, sprains and strains.

This video is one that will really build strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w_HKaTPD7ZE

From one veteran to another, thanks for serving!:smile:

You can do this!!!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    All good advice. Don't lengthen your stride to the point where your feet are landing in front of you rather than under you, it will lead to an injury. Increase your turnover rate to speed up rather than stride length.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am not a beginner runner but I really do not like running

I am right there with you; however, last month I decided I would be a runner. I walked the half marathon in Cleveland in May and although I felt success at finishing, I WANT to run it. I want to be a contender. So, I started with intervals (I called them fire hydrant runs as I was running in my neighborhood from hydrant to hydrant.) At first I could run one length, and then I tried two and walked one, and then three...long story short, when I got to six I figured why not try for more. So I jogged as long as I could. I ran my first mile. Two weeks later I did 2 miles. This last week I ran for 40 min straight and jogged just over 3.5 miles. I have tendonitis in my right ankle and arthritis in both knees...if I can do it, so can you. I agree with everyone that has said that you need to take it slow and increase your time running/ distance before you think about speed. If you know you can run 4 miles, the 1.5 you have to do for PT will FLY by!:flowerforyou:
    Oh, and I have to mention that my breathing pattern is two breaths in and one out...someone else posted that they patterned their breath after their pace. I do the same, and focusing on KEEPING my breathing has really helped. I also yell when I run (which probably freaks out my neighbors to see me trotting along screaming at myself), it helps me dispel air I can't seem to get out of my lungs otherwise.:blushing: