protein shakes and blenders

Options
anyone make protein shakes? If so, what blender do you use? I broke mine with a frozen strawberry :( (should of listened to my dh) Do any blenders chop up frozen strawberries?
Thanks!

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem breaking any blenders with frozen strawberries or any other kind of frozen fruit...I'm currently using a $15 blender. Had it since December and have used it A LOT and haven't had a problem yet...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Single-Serve-Blender-Red/16553374

That's the one I have.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have an Oster with a metal drive, it can do frozen fruit. I want a Vitamix...
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I have a cheap $15 blender too -- sorry to hear about your super strawberry! LOL
  • girlsaint
    girlsaint Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Magic Bullet. I grind up frozen strawberries and blueberries in my shakes too.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    Get a blendtec, check out their vids on you tube, search will it blend, if it can handle the stuff they throw at it'll handle frozen fruit
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Seriously, they just don't make em like they used to! New kitchen appliances are garbage, I swear! I broke my mothers $100 blender while making hummus, for no apparent reason :(. I then went to value village and bought an "osterizer" that looks like it's from the '70s for 6.99 and it works like a charm! Its blades blast through anything!

STRONGLY recommend getting one from a thrift store. Theyre cheaper, more durable, AND it's recycling! It's win-win... Plus another win!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Blendtec and VitaMix are what the smoothie places use. They do make the best smoothies, but they're $400 and up.

My first Blendtec pitcher burned out the gasket and I called them and said "I don't blend anything harder than frozen bananas or strawberries." She said frozen strawberries are one of the hardest things. (They did replace my pitcher for shipping cost only, even though the gasket burned out because my dishwasher is hot and I should've changed the setting to low with the pitcher in there, come to find out.)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Blendtec- great!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with either Blentec or Vitamix if you can afford it. Both are great at multiple tasks, durable and have 7 yr warranties. They may be expensive in the short term, but I make so much hazelnut, cashew, and coconut butter, as well as almond flour, smoothies, etc. that I end up saving a ton instead of store bought goods. I figure it'll pay for itself in about a year and a half. Another thing I looked at is the warranty. Many cheaper blenders may need to be replaced every year or so. The way I look at it, I may be spending nearly as much on blenders over the course of 7 years so why buy inferior machines when I can buy one that will last a long time and handle multiple preparation tasks.
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    I got a cheap oyster blender from walmart and I put daily on my shake whole bananas, strawberrys, almonds and 6 cups of ice and I dont have any problem and it does not leave chunks of ice or fruits
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Had a lot of luck with the Magic Bullet but with making two shakes a day for two people we upgraded to the ninja. We seemed to go through a lot of other blenders with ice.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the Ninja. It is doing well so far!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I have a little Cooks blender from JCPenney. $24. I've used it daily with frozen strawberries and ice, so far so good...I think I've had it three years (?)
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had a 24.99 hamilton beach one which is now dead. I would love a vitamix but its waaay too much $. Im gonna look into the oyster, magic bullet or ninja.