HEALTHY BREAD IDEAS please

Options
curvykim78
curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
Can you guys give me some ideas for a healthy type of bread to eat? I usually buy Natures Own butterbread, but I think I need something more filling. Any ideas?

Replies

• curvykim78
    Options
    :)
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel!
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local bakery near where you live, or some other fresh foods market? I'd suggest buying from there, something made without preservatives or any other ingredients that aren't natural. You can find some really good bread that actually are low calorie, too. Try seeing if they have Today's Temptations brand — there's a low-card/high-fiber whole wheat bread that's 45 calories a slice! Helped get me through the rest of my weight loss. Otherwise, any whole wheat is good, just make sure to read the ingredients carefully and look for the kind with the most minimal and words you can pronounce!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I've heard of that, but was curious of the taste. What about the breads with oatmeal and stuff on top of them?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for bread that is low-calorie & gluten-free! Sometimes I'll pick up a loaf of walnut bread at the bakery. So good.

My bf normally bakes the bread at home because glutenfree is often synonymous with expensive.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 100% whole wheat bread, but I've recently made the switch and become a fan of Ezekiel bread. So good, so filling (80 cals per slice) and the Ezekiel English Muffins and Tortilla shells are good as well.

I haven't found it at my local grocery store, but I buy it at my local health food/organic store. I won't eat anything else.
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like Hannaford's light wheat bread. Only 70 calories for 2 slices & its inexpensive.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat Heiners 35 calorie hearty wheat.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite low-net carb high-protein bread. It costs $8 a loaf but provides a nice 196g of protein. Can't get that amount of protein even from chicken at that price.
    Julian Bakery Smart Carb #2 Cinnamon Raisin Bread (info is per slice)
    Calories: 137
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 15g
    Fiber: 13g
    Sugar:1g
    Sodium: 75mg
    Protein: 14

Ingredients: Fresh Ground Whole Grain *Wheat, Sprouts of *Kamut, *Spelt, *Rye, Lentils, Sesame Seeds, *Millet, *Quinoa, *Amaranth, Ground Flaxseed, *Wheat Bran, Oat Bran, Eggs, Undenatured Whey Protein Isolate (90%), Chicory Root (Inulin Fiber), Wheat Gluten, Cinnamon, Raisins, Yeast & Sea Salt.

They're coming out with the Paleo Bread at the end of the month and will offer two varieties: one made with coconut flour, the other using almond flour. This is the nutritional info for the coconut variety:

Calories: 40
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 6g
    Fiber: 5g
    Sugar: 1g
    Sodium: 90mg
    Protein: 4g

Ingredients: Purified water, organic coconut flour, egg whites, psyllium, organic apple cider vinegar, baking soda.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ezekial .... low sodium :-) .... I have noticed that most breads, ESP flat breads and wraps, have sooooooo much sodium! I love Josephs ow Carb pita and lavish but they are high in sodium .....
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ...also Trader Jokes Quinoa Bread is yummy :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I buy different bread depending on where I shop but I usually look for something which wholegrains and a variety of different seeds and grains. Supermarket bread - usually Helgas, though I think Burgen is a better option, from a bakery -something like a 12 grain or cape seed.