Zero Calorie or Free Fruits or Veggies

Options
OK, so for almost 2 weeks I have been stuffing fruits and veggies into every meal...I never used to at all. But, I always go over my cal count because I wanted a cup of watermelon or a few cherry tomatoes for a snack...are there any zero cal fruits or vegetables I can eat in order to stay in the numbers?

Replies

• SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any zero cal but if you're going over in cals due to fruits and veggies, don't panic, you're getting plenty of nutrients and there are far worse things to eat to go over cals.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. Nutrition has calories.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Adding the fruits and vegetables is a great first step... now start replacing other foods with fruits and vegetables :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat less crappy carbs then! nothing wrong with some broccoli and zucchini.. mmm.

reduce breads or pasta or something.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You're either not logging everything you eat, or I am not getting what the issue is. You NEVER go over. You leave hundreds of uneaten calories daily. You are borderline starving by eating 1200 when you can eat 1700 or 1900 on some days.
    Where is the problem?
    Today you still need to eat 800 calories and you've already had dinner....

And if you are not logging everything, how can you know if fruit is putting you over.

If you are saying "over" is "over 1200" you need to reassess your goals.
    You're doing it wrong if you thing veggies putting you over 1200 is bad.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    You're either not logging everything you eat, or I am not getting what the issue is. You NEVER go over. You leave hundreds of uneaten calories daily. You are borderline starving by eating 1200 when you can eat 1700 or 1900 on some days.
    Where is the problem?
    Today you still need to eat 800 calories and you've already had dinner....

And if you are not logging everything, how can you know if fruit is putting you over.

If you are saying "over" is "over 1200" you need to reassess your goals.
    You're doing it wrong if you thing veggies putting you over 1200 is bad.

Wow, thank you for being so...opinionated. But I was put on a very strict 1200 calorie diet by my physician. And I think since I lost 72 pounds before I joined MFP, I am doing something right. But thanks for telling me that I am doing it 'wrong'.

I was asking a simple question, and yes I log everything. People like you are the exact reason why I was afraid to post this, because some just can not give advise without making someone feel like they are wrong. Won't be posting on these forums anymore, do not worry about that. Two nasty responses on two different questions...I will stick to listening to my doctor.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    First - take a deep breath. No one could know your Dr advised you to eat 1200 unless you told us. Now you have and we can go from there.

You're very very close to 1200 on the days I saw - like barely over. Looks like a little more tweaking and you should be there, but that's a very hard number to stay under. I'd suggest dropping out the bread and rice cakes and you'll be there! Plus 100 calories of veggies will keep you fuller than the rice cakes anyway.
  • hwibowo
    hwibowo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try eating raw celery without any dressing. Some studies found that eating it has negative net calories since it takes more energy (calories) to digest it.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Did your doc say 1200 regardless exercise? It might be worth checking that one.
  • HappilyCyn
    HappilyCyn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I am new on here and was wondering the same thing. An apple I ate today was 130 calories and has a lot of carbs. A 100 calorie snack cakes can appear to be less. The calorie counting does not discriminate between the quality of calories. I personally believe you should not worry to much if you go over because of fruit and veggies.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Leafy veggies are the lowest, fruits are probably the highest. I did a quick search and looks like there are lots of good sites on the topic:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362699-list-of-low-calorie-fruits-vegetables/
    http://www.everythingcalories.com/list-lowest-calorie-fruits
    http://www.dietbites.com/diet-veg-lowcal.html
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wonder what kind of fruits and veggies you are eating. For instance I eat 1/2 cup seedless cucumber every day which is only about 8 calories.
  • Kevinpcarey
    Options
    There is no such thing as "negative calories" or the idea that eating certains foods causes yur body to burn more calories digesting it than the food provides.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My doctor at he nutrient centre outs the following as 'free' even though they all have calories, they are vey low cal, and it would be really large quantities

Celery
    Mushrooms
    Cucumbers
    Radishes
    Lettuce, kale, Swiss chard, leafy green in general

There were a couple of others but I dont have the sheet handy. these are consider free on its own without anything
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Last night and tonight I had a delicious bowl of braised kale and spinach. Absolutely delicious and a mere 43 calories per bowl.