Too much protien

Options
I tend to go over my protein but I lift heavy and exercise a lot, how much is too much protein!?

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people complain that MFP sets protein too low, and that they reset their own daily goals.
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    Perhaps I need to do this?? I just worry I am over consuming.
  • kab161
    kab161 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting a lot then I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are going over your protein daily then I would suggest to reduce your meat intake. Too much protein can actually cause your blood to become overly acidic and it draws the calcium out of your bones in order to buffer the acidity.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Set your protein percentage to something like 25-35% and then re-evaluate. That's generally what people do, especially when lifting. If you're not getting over 300-400g or so I'd say you're probably fine. What is your actual intake?
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    I have around 100-120 g
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect to me.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1g per pound of lean body mass.
    120 sounds pretty good. Even if you go over it's not the end of the world.
  • courtneyxjayne
    Options
    protein is sick, if youre not going over by a ton, I wouldnt worry too much :)
  • sarapascual23
    Options
    We should consume 1 to 1,5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight each day :)
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm doing heavy lifting & on a 1800/2100 calorie a day diet (1800 on recovery days, 2100 on training) - I'm eating 150g on recovery days & around 180g on training days.

Since increasing my protein intake I've noticed a massive improvement in my lifting, weight loss, & muscle development - I keep reading you can't gain muscle on a calorie reduced diet - it's rubbish, you can.

I've lost 1.5 stone & gained inches on my chest/arms - making good steady gains on my dead-lifts/squats/bench-press.

Don't worry at all about the 120g - set the macro ratios to something, personally I aim for around 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carb's - with low sodium, high fibre & low saturated fats.

Seems to be working pretty well.

Also, if you are keen on lifting, I can't stress how much eggs in the norming seems to help - 2 eggs (scrambled without oil) per day seems to give the metabolism a great boost & has increased weight loss greatly.