What do I do if I cant buy healthy food?

Options
I can't afford to buy healthy food, let alone food in general. What do I do?

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford "food in general" I suggest that this may not be the time to diet.

ETA: lentils. So good.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies, brown rice, dry beans, boneless skinless chicken breast are all fairly inexpensive
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You could ask your parents to buy some healthier foods, If you can't cook then you should learn to cook because you'll have more options if you can cook for yourself. Eat smaller portions of the same food you already eat and make sure you take vitamins.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    If you can afford the internet, you can afford healthy food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Eggs, peanut butter and bread. Beans and rice. Spaghetti.
  • bm99
    Options
    If you're going to lie about your age to get on an 18+ site, be consistent. It says you are only 17?

Ask your parents to buy healthier foods or ask if you can go with the shopper. If they won't stop buying crap, use portion control. You can still lose weight eating crap within your calorie goals, although obviously healthy food will take you a lot farther as far as general health and wellness.
  • Changingworld
    Options
    If you can afford the internet, you can afford healthy food.

I'm at my aunts house using her internet.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Shop at Walmart.

haha jk.
    1. There's always sales on dairy the day before it will expire (it's 50% off). Look for that.
    2. You could grow your own vegetables.
    3. Coupons. Print them off before you go to the store.
    4. Plan out your meals for the week BEFORE you shop, so you end up using everything that you buy and nothing will go to waste.
    5. Find expired items in the store and you'll often be given a free food item.
    6. Buy in bulk (as long as you know you'll eat it). Costco or Sam's Club is often cheaper than anywhere else.
    7. Often canned and frozen fruits and veggies are cheaper than fresh.
    8. Check out the sales in produce.
  • Changingworld
    Options
    You could ask your parents to buy some healthier foods, If you can't cook then you should learn to cook because you'll have more options if you can cook for yourself. Eat smaller portions of the same food you already eat and make sure you take vitamins.

My mom is unempolyed so we're on food stamps. When i ask her to buy healthy things like fruits and stuff she's hesitant. :/ I'm looking for a job right now so this will be a lot easier. Finding a job is difficult, ya know? lol And i can cook simple things.
  • bm99
    Options

My mom is unempolyed so we're on food stamps. When i ask her to buy healthy things like fruits and stuff she's hesitant. :/ I'm looking for a job right now so this will be a lot easier. Finding a job is difficult, ya know? lol And i can cook simple things.

Rice, beans, frozen fruits and veg, lentils. Fruit doesn't have to be fresh, neither does vegetables.
  • Changingworld
    Options

Rice, beans, frozen fruits and veg, lentils. Fruit doesn't have to be fresh, neither does vegetables.

Thanks!

Do you know any good exercises I can do that doesn't involve running or walking? I sprained my ankle
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you can do it.. rice, beans. peanut butter, tuna.... its all doable... fruit and veggies - cheaper to buy as you eat...some people tend to get too much and wind up throwing it out.... YOU can do it..
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to try that. Also, I need to find a balance in how much I eat.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Oh! Canned Tuna Fish. It's some of the leanest meat around and for meat it is really cheap. Half of a can makes a good addition to a meal- it provides a ton of protein (which is often expensive) and hardly any calories.

Potatoes are cheap.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Ya I know its hard to find a job, since you are on food stamps and I have had friends on food stamps, but am not really aware of what types of products food stamps work with I can't really give you any advice. I can only tell you that to diet you would have to eat smaller portions, and if cabbage is allowed you should try to eat that, and if you have chicken it would help if you boiled it and or take the skin off and do not use a lot of ketchup or things like that.
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Some small weights. Upper body toning is good, burns calories, and you keep off your ankle.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just keep track of calories and macros in the "unhealthy" food you buy.
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Oh! Canned Tuna Fish. It's some of the leanest meat around and for meat it is really cheap. Half of a can makes a good addition to a meal- it provides a ton of protein (which is often expensive) and hardly any calories.

Potatoes are cheap.

:O I can't eat fish or seafood. The thought of it makes me want to throw up haha
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Some small weights. Upper body toning is good, burns calories, and you keep off your ankle.
    Yes! I really need some upper arm strength.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Even local food banks have many healthy options. Check it out.