I think my scale is broken

Options
Ok so last week I was down to 164.6 and today I'm at 166.2...How is that possible?????? I was good the whole week. I did have a candy bar on Saturday but it was within my calories. I have exercised and everything. Then I check out my muscle percentage and stuff and there were some dramatic differences after 2 months...like my muscle percentage was 5% higher than it was two months ago. Is that even possible???? I am so disappointed. I know it wasn't me so its not like I will steer off this road I'm on but it is just irritating. I work so hard and then get the numbers I did this morning. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration! I made a really good but fattening dessert last night and told my husband that I wish this is the stuff we had to eat to lose weight. :laugh: I would be a stick. :bigsmile:
  • mystasia
    mystasia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're scale is probably not broken. You say you are up muscle? With increase muscle comes increase water too... At my dietician she has a scale that measures body fat, water, muscle, and whenever my muscle is up so is my water...some days its 2lbs some its 5lbs depending. Do you check your measurments also? They say its good to do that as well as weight. Because if you are gaining muscle the measurments might give you more of a loss to go off of.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey Cherrie-
    Is is anywhere near that TOM? Or, I donno...have you been eating more salty food lately?
    I won't even get on the stupid scale the week before I start my cycle (PMSing) since I bloat like MAD and will gain an additional 5lbs...but it comes right back off after it's all over with. Being extra hydrated (aka-bloat) will completely throw off your body fat % also if you're using one of those scales. Electricity flows a lot quicker through water than anything else- so it'll show up that you have less body fat & higher lean content if you're carrying extra water weight around.

ALSO- a different option...since you've been awesome and working out so much- it's very possible that you DID gain quite a bit of muscle mass these past 2 months. And muscle weights more than fat soooo... :D
    YAY!
  • fifrenzyguy34
    fifrenzyguy34 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Muscle has a lot to do with it too. If you've been doing any type of strength training you could be building up lean muscle mass which, by volume, weighs more than fat. Another factor could be when you weigh yourself. You're going to weigh less as soon as you wake up. I personally try to weigh myself right before I eat lunch. That seems to be a happy medium for me.

256580.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That happens with me sometimes too. Have you tried checking your scale to see if its accurate? What I did is place a 5 lb dumbell on to check mine. Also I've noticed that my scale has different readings when placed in different locations so I used the dumbell and kept moving my scale around till I found where to place it to get the most accurate reading. That seemed to help a lot. Also if it is near time to start your period that could be a factor. I always start gaining a few days before. Typically I gain 2-3 lbs around that time every month. So I have a rule never to step on the scale starting a few days before until about 5 days after my period ends. That seems to be about the time that I drop the water weight. I hope that helps.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ""last week I was down to 164.6 and today I'm at 166.2""

Honey, that's a pound and a half. A 24 oz soda weighs a pound and a half,,, have you drank one lately? Hafta go potty? Have a roll of quarters in your pocket? :bigsmile:

Don't sweat it - you're off to a great start. Just relax and stick with it and the changes will come. You really can't watch onesie-twosies,,, you weight fluctuates that much for no reason at all.

Good luck, stick with it. How you feeling?
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok so last week I was down to 164.6 and today I'm at 166.2...How is that possible?????? I was good the whole week. I did have a candy bar on Saturday but it was within my calories. I have exercised and everything. Then I check out my muscle percentage and stuff and there were some dramatic differences after 2 months...like my muscle percentage was 5% higher than it was two months ago. Is that even possible???? I am so disappointed. I know it wasn't me so its not like I will steer off this road I'm on but it is just irritating. I work so hard and then get the numbers I did this morning. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

you're only talking 1.6 lbs, that's THREE 8-oz glasses of water, it's purely fluctuations in the amount of food/water your body is retaining at any particular time within the day, I'll almost always weigh some 3-5 lbs heavier at the end of the day than first thing in the morning especially if I've gotten my EIGHT 8-oz glasses of water (that's 4 lbs right there) in for the day

Mike
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I know this probably isn't THAT encouraging, but just keep working on it!!!! I worked out 5 days a week for a month straight, never missed a day, and only lost one pound. While it was pretty discouraging, I just had to keep in mind that I was living a much healthier lifestyle and that it would eventually pay off. Its obviously paying off for you, look how much you've lost already! I fell off the exercise and healthy eating wagon and now am paying for it. Keep up the good work, you look great already! :flowerforyou:
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies.

I have been consistantly going down in the pounds so when I see it creep up its irritating. I'm not even close to the start of my TOM so I don't see that being the cause. I weigh myself every monday morning as soon as I get up...after I have gone to the bathroom of course. I know its a long journey and I'm only at the beginning but I would love to be at my goal already. I love the progress I've had just want more.

Thanks again for the replies.