Anyone have a solution for late night hunger pains?

Options

Replies

• chellebelle315
    Options
    I glanced at your diary...my guess is your body is reacting to the severe calorie restriction....you might want to consider eating closer to your recommended calorie goal. That being said here are the small snacks I go for at night if I'm too hungry to get to sleep.

My night time go tos:

-Fiber one Honey Squares 80 calories for 3/4 cup serving...I like it dry. It's sweet and crunchy
    -One part skim string cheese also about 80 calories
    -A couple of tablespoons of greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey or a small spoonful of all fruit preserves
    -half a cup of lowfat cottage cheese
    -2oz of home-roasted chicken or turkey if I have it.

Most of these are under or around 100 calories. If I try to sleep when I'm hungry, I don't sleep well, so I eat a very little bit so I can get to or go back to sleep.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    eat your calories.. even if it's later. and if you have already eaten your calories then much on some veggies or make some tea or lemon juice (with steviana for sweetner).
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Domi_BTGfit Posts: 149
    Options
    Drink a protein shake before bed - it's better than most of your other options and you'll be full under breakfast :))

Good luck!

9912108.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Seems you have hundreds of calories remaining most days. Eat them.

^^I noticed that, too. If you're logging all of your food in your diary, you're simply not getting enough food during the day. Try adding some easy snacks into your day. I noticed that you prefer food that's already prepared. Try lowfat greek yogurt, hummus and pita bread, a can of low sodium soup, and of course, Mother Nature packages snacks, too: fruits and veggies are portable and relatively easy to grab and chew! :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, eat more! There are a few days where you are subsisting on 800 or 900 calories - of course you are hungry!

Eat all your calories and you probably won't be hungry. And you'll still lose weight. How good is that?
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Almonds!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Seems you have hundreds of calories remaining most days. Eat them.

^Agreed! The old adage about not eating after a certain time is BS. I always save a couple hundred cals for a late night snack. Nothing wrong with it, and I'm still losing weight.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    eat
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Try eating. Your food diary says you are not eating nearly enough. 800 cals? A teenage girl eats that on a bad day. You are a grown man. Eat the calories MFP give you, at the very least.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of milk - keeps me full and helps my blood sugar stay steady overnight.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My wife grows her own Chamomile and I know we have some dried out, so I will give it a try too.

Watch out with the tea though as when I drink it right before bed I am guaranteed to wake up to run to bathroom! Maybe Chamomile doesn't do this as I don't think it has caffeine.
  • TheRUBENone
    TheRUBENone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i would say stay away from carbs so late at night. were talking midnight. thats really late but if you must in order to prevent bad headaches i would say drink a protien shake. low carb or little to none carbs in it, just protien to get the feeling of fullness should do the trick. remember your body burns more processing protein then it does carbs. plus carbs is an imediate source of energy & at that time of night there is no need to a automatic jolt. if you cant get your hands on a shake maybe a few ham & cheese rolls. no bread. just roll them up together & have at it. good source of protein. just want to eat enough to be satisfied not full. good luck.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Almonds!

Agree with this. I also like raspberries and string cheese as late night snacks, though I know a lot of people think dairy / eating fruit before bed are the devil.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG Eat more, your last 2 days you have only posted under 1000, like 800 one day and then 900 calories. Eat more!
  • TheRUBENone
    Options
    if your waking up in the middle of the night then there maybe another issue going on. your body is supposed to shut down when you hit rem sleep & shuts down your organs from processing anything killing the urge to use the bathroom. most people run to the restroom first thing when they get up because the second there away body kick starts back up. may have some kind of sleep apnea causing you to not hit that rem sleep & or restless leg syndrome. could be anything, stress. just something to think about. hope this helps.
  • TheRUBENone
    Options
    almost are so high in calories so i would have to say to stay away from them. while they have a place in our diets before bed time is not the time for them. they are an excelent source of good fats but again, very high in calories. body cant process them that late at night & will just turn into fat instead of energy. fruits also is the worst before you go to bed. fruits also has its time & place in our diets but once again before bed is not 1 of those times. should eat fruits morning to mid afternoone. anytime after that fruits should be cut out. to high in sugar & just going to be bad for the body at that time of night. hope this info helps.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Try eating. Your food diary says you are not eating nearly enough. 800 cals? A teenage girl eats that on a bad day. You are a grown man. Eat the calories MFP give you, at the very least.
    Holy cow...On my low days I usually eat twice this and I'm smaller then many teenage girls :S
  • TheRUBENone
    Options
    meant to spell almonds on the last post. sorry for any confusion.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat more and make dinner your fattiest meal of the day, it will satiate you far longer than a bowl of carbs at midnight and get you through the night.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I drink a tall glass of chocolate milk. Makes the hungry feeling go away, satisfies my sweet tooth, and gives me an extra shot of protein to recover from my workouts.