What do I do if I cant buy healthy food?

Options
2»

Replies

• sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions! One of my favs that is easy on the pockets is a big bag of 100% Oats.
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Some great suggestions! One of my favs that is easy on the pockets is a big bag of 100% Oats.

What's that?
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Quaker 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats. A 2.5kg bag is less than $5, and lasts me over a month (and that includes atleast one meal a day and using it for baking cookies and muffins throughout the month). Super healthy and super versatile :)
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you girlie...we're also on food stamps! Or so I was a coupe of weeks ago...The 99cent store has saved my life! They have a fresh produce section now and it's so great! Just this week I got two packs of strawberries, a head of lettuce and cabbage, blue berries, raspberries, bannas a pear and a baby watermelon and each one was a dollar! tuna runs around 60cents a can, you can get yogurt apple sauce and string cheese from the 99cents store girl! JUST GO VISIT ONE! After the 99cents store we head to the regular grocery store where we get chicken and ground turkey which are pretty inexpensive.

EDIT: And for workouts use youtube, I'm currently doing a free 90day system called befit in 90 on youtube. but since you've sprained your ankle you can still check out their channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit, and just do the arms abs and chest workouts. Hope this helps.
  • Changingworld
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you girlie...we're also on food stamps! Or so I was a coupe of weeks ago...The 99cent store has saved my life! They have a fresh produce section now and it's so great! Just this week I got two packs of strawberries, a head of lettuce and cabbage, blue berries, raspberries, bannas a pear and a baby watermelon and each one was a dollar! tuna runs around 60cents a can, you can get yogurt apple sauce and string cheese from the 99cents store girl! JUST GO VISIT ONE! After the 99cents store we head to the regular grocery store where we get chicken and ground turkey which are pretty inexpensive.

The only 99 cent store i know of that sells food like that is far away! The dollar store is near but they dont have food :/ All that food sounds so good! Yum :D
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Quaker 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats. A 2.5kg bag is less than $5, and lasts me over a month (and that includes atleast one meal a day and using it for baking cookies and muffins throughout the month). Super healthy and super versatile :)

:D that sounds really good! And a great price (: even better
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome - I'm a student and live 12000 miles from home, so I have no support system financially other than myself. It can be tough sometimes, though I cut back on other things so that I can eat properly.

My bucket list for healthy 101 is:

Eggs - you can get a tray for like $5 - scrambled, omelets, poached, fried... and you can add all sorts of seasonings to them
    Bread - wholegrain stuff
    Brown rice
    Lentils
    Porridge oats
    Bag of frozen veggies (they're generally snap frozen so are as nutritious)
    Tuna
    Chicken thighs/chicken mince - cheaper cuts to keep up protein levels, important if you're working out
    Pulses like chickpeas etc, anything like that is great
    Any seasonal fruits and veggies

Plus I use loads of herbs and spices to mix things up :)
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    well you are 19 so possibly living at home? Why dont you start with smaller portions and some exercise? I keep lost of fruit in the house and veggies but it is so pricey! I kinda been shopping adds and going where the sales are for them....good luck:) also there are many healthy recipes to make from simple stuff I just kinda google stuff online.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    You could ask your parents to buy some healthier foods, If you can't cook then you should learn to cook because you'll have more options if you can cook for yourself. Eat smaller portions of the same food you already eat and make sure you take vitamins.

My mom is unempolyed so we're on food stamps. When i ask her to buy healthy things like fruits and stuff she's hesitant. :/ I'm looking for a job right now so this will be a lot easier. Finding a job is difficult, ya know? lol And i can cook simple things.

why your mother is hesitant about buying healthy food is beyond me?!
    that is really messed up.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    This is what I do as a flat broke college student:

-My food bank sells 10lbs of fruits and veggies for $5 each month. I freeze what I can.
    -I buy frozen veggies and fruit when its on sale. The frozen fruit is great for smoothies!
    -I stock up on whole wheat cereal when it's on sale. It keeps for a long time and is filling.
    -I buy store brand everything and always check out the clearance areas.
    -I wait for sales to buy milk and bread, and stock up by sticking it in the freezer. Both freeze really well!

Here are some really great resources to check out:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-on-budget.html
  • Changingworld
    Options
    thanks for the help guys!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bulk items! You pay by the lb! Good luck!
  • Changingworld
    Options
    This is what I do as a flat broke college student:

-My food bank sells 10lbs of fruits and veggies for $5 each month. I freeze what I can.
    -I buy frozen veggies and fruit when its on sale. The frozen fruit is great for smoothies!
    -I stock up on whole wheat cereal when it's on sale. It keeps for a long time and is filling.
    -I buy store brand everything and always check out the clearance areas.
    -I wait for sales to buy milk and bread, and stock up by sticking it in the freezer. Both freeze really well!

Here are some really great resources to check out:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-on-budget.html

THANKS! great help(:
  • Changingworld
    Options
    You could ask your parents to buy some healthier foods, If you can't cook then you should learn to cook because you'll have more options if you can cook for yourself. Eat smaller portions of the same food you already eat and make sure you take vitamins.

My mom is unempolyed so we're on food stamps. When i ask her to buy healthy things like fruits and stuff she's hesitant. :/ I'm looking for a job right now so this will be a lot easier. Finding a job is difficult, ya know? lol And i can cook simple things.

I live with my mom and aunt and they love food. I was raised on junk food so getting into healthier food is difficult. but yeah :/
  • Changingworld
    Options
    Bulk items! You pay by the lb! Good luck!

Thanks! I'll try to do that!
  • joannafarrer
    Options

I live with my mom and aunt and they love food. I was raised on junk food so getting into healthier food is difficult. but yeah :/

You've got some great suggestions here. It's difficult for me to comment on buying food, as I live in Holland and healthy food (fresh, natural, non-processed stuff) is cheaper than the processed, convenience food. You say you can cook a little, which is fantastic at your age. Go on-line or ask an adult (mum of a friend, maybe?) that can cook and see if you can learn even more. The better you can cook, the more options you have (and it's fun!). If you concentrate on vegetarian recipes, they are generally cheaper - just make sure you get your protein (lentils, chickpeas, beans and eggs are all good sources, and super-nutritious). And I would like to say that if you were raised on junk food and live in a house with two junk-food-eating adults, then I really admire what you're doing. It can't be easy, so well done and keep at it!
  • Changingworld
    Options

You've got some great suggestions here. It's difficult for me to comment on buying food, as I live in Holland and healthy food (fresh, natural, non-processed stuff) is cheaper than the processed, convenience food. You say you can cook a little, which is fantastic at your age. Go on-line or ask an adult (mum of a friend, maybe?) that can cook and see if you can learn even more. The better you can cook, the more options you have (and it's fun!). If you concentrate on vegetarian recipes, they are generally cheaper - just make sure you get your protein (lentils, chickpeas, beans and eggs are all good sources, and super-nutritious). And I would like to say that if you were raised on junk food and live in a house with two junk-food-eating adults, then I really admire what you're doing. It can't be easy, so well done and keep at it!

Thank you so much! I can cook basic things like breakfast and lunch things. Dinner is another issue. Well, I guess it depends on the food. I love eggs! Its hard figuring out whats healthy and whats not. Thanks for the advice and motivation!!!