How quickly did you lose the first 50lbs?

Options
cksmummy
cksmummy Posts: 34 Member
Hey guys, I'm new around here and needing to hear some success stories. I am around 300lbs so loads to lose and I desperately want to lose at least 50 by the end of the year. Big problem is my mental block. I don't believe it's possible.

So, if you've lost 50lbs or more would you mind posting 1) your age bracket 2) how long you took to lose that first 50 and 3) what type of plan you were using.

My kids thank you and so do I!!!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Youll drop most of your water weight in the first 2-4 weeks.
    Visceral fat is next.

Check the link on my profile and see if that clears some things up.
    I've picked up on quite a bit of new info since so if you have any Qs feel free to PM.
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    been calorie counting and drinking protein shake, no exercise due to back injury have lost 35 llbs since dec 1 2011. I am 49.keeping them cals in 1200-1400 range for most part!
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    I'm 25.

I haven't reached 50 yet but next week I'll hit 30, and it's taken me 2 1/2 months. That's also with me slacking these last couple weeks.

I don't really have a plan per SE (I don't know how you spell that) I eat smaller portions, it sounds dumb but I eat slower, so I can tell when I'm full. I drink 8-12 glasses of water a day (most days) I walk, usually 3-5 times a week 3-4 miles, I'm graduating to running parts of my walk, I Zumba, do Pilates from Netflix, recently I had my first hiking experience, never could do it before, and it was great. Sometimes create my own work outs while watching TV.

I do believe that 50 pounds is doable in 6 months, as long as you're focused on your goal. Get rid of the negative people around you (there may not be many now but trust me 10-20 pounds down you will get haters), I suggest making a playlist that gets you pumped up and blood flowin' (I use Pandora for my phone) and take advantage of your kids lol, kids love to get up and moving for bike rides or hikes, so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good luck!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1) 30

2) Started trying to lose weight in Aug found out I have some health issues. Switched diet to Low carb have lost about 30 pounds in the last 2/2.5 months.

3) Low carb diet due to health issues.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I started at the beginning of February 2011, and dropped 50lbs by mid August. And this was while eating 1300 cals per day, less than 30g of fat per day, and working out 15-20 every other day.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    im 35, it took me about 5-6 months to drop the first 50 lbs, i hadn't discovered mfp at this point so was just eating smaller portions of my normal food, and cutting chocolate out (im a HUGE chocoholic) in the first 6 months i just did wiifit and walking as i didnt feel fit enough to do anything else
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I started at 242.4 on January 4th... currently I'm at 197 so 45 lbs in like 5 months my goal was under 200 by my bday in 2 days so goals are achievable good luck on your journey and feel free to add me for support
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great Advice!!!

Especially about your kids.. i use my son as my trainer when we go hiking.. he pushes me!!!
    I'm 25.

I haven't reached 50 yet but next week I'll hit 30, and it's taken me 2 1/2 months. That's also with me slacking these last couple weeks.

I don't really have a plan per SE (I don't know how you spell that) I eat smaller portions, it sounds dumb but I eat slower, so I can tell when I'm full. I drink 8-12 glasses of water a day (most days) I walk, usually 3-5 times a week 3-4 miles, I'm graduating to running parts of my walk, I Zumba, do Pilates from Netflix, recently I had my first hiking experience, never could do it before, and it was great. Sometimes create my own work outs while watching TV.

I do believe that 50 pounds is doable in 6 months, as long as you're focused on your goal. Get rid of the negative people around you (there may not be many now but trust me 10-20 pounds down you will get haters), I suggest making a playlist that gets you pumped up and blood flowin' (I use Pandora for my phone) and take advantage of your kids lol, kids love to get up and moving for bike rides or hikes, so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good luck!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It took me about 11 months, but I had an issue with medication that stalled me for a month.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i lost 40 pounds in 6 months.

then i got comfortable.. oops!

back on low-carb now and losing inches and pounds steadily.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    I think roughly around 3-4 months.. Didn't really keep track.. (losing 55pounds that is)
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    7 months approximately. But it is different for everyone.
  • sezziejm
    sezziejm Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, started MFP on 19th Feb 2012 weighing 245lb! As of today i am 189lb!!!!
    Feel free to add me....Good luck with your journey :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, I have lost 46 lbs in about 7 months.

I started off at 294 and currently weigh 249.1. My goal is to be under 200lbs by New Years. I am using the good old fashioned calorie counting and exercise. I did it and so can you.

Edited to correct typo :)
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started at 325 and am down 40 lbs now it has taken about four months for me.
  • Carissamr
    Carissamr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Today I weighed in to see that I have now lost 51 pounds...It has taken me exactly 3 months...my start weight was 314 and I am 29 years old...I have cut my portions down and aim for 1500 calories a day, more depending on calories burned...I have been walking, riding my bike and push mowing the lawn as my main source of exercise...I also will play the wii, games like boxing, just dance, and the sports in general...I haven't been playing it that much though...I guess I am saving the wii for when the weather gets bad...I mow once a week to week and a half and it takes me about 90 minutes...my bike rides can range from 2 miles to 6.5 miles and I try to go on them 4-5 days a week, sometimes I take 2 in a day...my walks range from 1 to 5 miles...I am gonna have to start doing some different exercises to work out different areas of my body but I am happy with my progress so far...It isn't easy and everyone loses at different rates so don't worry if it takes you longer...as long as you are truly trying you will lose weight :)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't know- I've never lost 50 lbs, I think 40-45 at the most ever, it took a good 6 months. I am hoping to lose 50, hello if it would BUDGE!
  • trollydollymolly
    trollydollymolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Firstly, and most importantly, well done you for joining this site.

I have been here since Jan this year and have lost 50 lbs and I am 51 years old. I am on a daily calorie count of 1200 and I now run 3 times a week and do a lot of walking too, I don't like running and I will never be a runner but the sense of achievement when you finish a run is second to none. It isn't about how far you go, it is about how long you run for. When I started the c25k programme I nearly died running for a minute and can't believe I can run for 30 mins non stop.

It isn't about being on a diet, it is about changing the way we view and eat food. I have also dramatically cut down on portion size - that was my biggest problem.

Losing weight is the hardest thing to do but you can do it if you do it for the right reasons ie. You do it for you and because you want to. It is bloody hard work and requires a great deal of termination but you will be successful if you want to be.

Feel free to add me as a pal if you want

Sue
  • EmmaB332
    EmmaB332 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I started at 242.4 on January 4th... currently I'm at 197 so 45 lbs in like 5 months my goal was under 200 by my bday in 2 days so goals are achievable good luck on your journey and feel free to add me for support

Happy early birthday and congrats!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I took around 7 months. I gradually started eating more healthily, less fizzy drinks, chocolate, biscuits , cakes, ready foods, more fruit, vegetables, cooking from scratch , water and milk. I started exercising regularly, firstly just walking , then exercise dvds, finally joined a gym and started running. Good luck with your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!