Not eating enough?

Options
So after a bit of a hiatus from mfp I'm back, and after logging food and keeping my diary for awhile I'm noticing a new trend; I'm not eating enough. Every time I complete a food entry on my phone it tells me I haven't eaten enough. I'm a little worried I thought over eating would be the problem, and I'm trying to eat more but I just can't seem to do it, any suggestions?!

Replies

• Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going through the same thing. I just eat what I can and take supplements to cover any deficits. With exercising and the goal calories, I'd be eating till I was sick. You can only eat so much, especially if you're eating healthy foods, they are low cal and fill you up.
  • alisha11
    alisha11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    great thanks for the tip, yeah I think it messes me up even more after I excercise and end up with even more calories that I have to eat!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    The answer is to eat more calorie dense foods - Greek yogurt and other fuller-fat dairy, avocados, peanut butter, nuts, olive and coconut oils for cooking, etc., etc .
  • CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Before i started using this website i thought i ate waay too much that what i was suppose to, but now that i keep track of the calories its only about 800 a day? i don't think i can eat much more than that. :/
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    So after a bit of a hiatus from mfp I'm back, and after logging food and keeping my diary for awhile I'm noticing a new trend; I'm not eating enough. Every time I complete a food entry on my phone it tells me I haven't eaten enough. I'm a little worried I thought over eating would be the problem, and I'm trying to eat more but I just can't seem to do it, any suggestions?!

I used to under-eat too, and never had a clue. One suggestion I have is making fruit smoothies with protein powder (whey protein is what a nutritionist recommended to me).
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I can only offer some general ideas (I had to learn these when I went from weight loss to maintenance mode) -

Add in a healthy snack (such as a piece of fruit and some nuts or peanut butter)

Increase your portions just a little bit

Plan ahead - if you know you're going to be working out at night, you don't have to wait until after you've exercised to eat those calories - go ahead and fuel up throughout the day and then burn off any extra.

Hm... I know there are others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
  • Tee2072
    Tee2072 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you eat too little your body goes into 'starvation mode' and will hold onto every calorie.

If you need to add more, eat better. Lots of veggies and fruits and low fat dairy can add up the calories in a good way.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR. Eat over it!!!

If you exercise, make sure you eat back your exercise calories. You are already at a calorie defecit by eating at or slightly above your BMR., meaning you'll already be losing weight to net this amt.

And yes, as others have said, your body will go into starvation mode and your body will hold onto calories and body fat in order to "survive". Your BMR is the minimum amount of calories you need for your body to work and function properly. This means you should have at least that much NET even after a workout.

And yes.. focus on eating clean!!! Lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lots of protein! :) Don't forget LOTS of water!! :)

Hope this helps!!! :)
  • kraj8995
    kraj8995 Posts: 28
    Options
    Don' t eat more because its harmful to your stomach and your body.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this..lol
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

Definatleydont listern to that.
  • Tee2072
    Tee2072 Posts: 15
    Options

Pardon my language...Bull.
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    i am very overweight and i cant usually hit my goal of caloric intake. some days i do but most days i don't. i have gained a little (nothing of significance) a few times when i ate way below my goal. i really believe in the starvation mode thing everyone is talking about. my suggestion is eat what your goal is and pay no attention to the net calories. if you set your goal to 1500 cal a day eat 1500 cal. everyone is right though tat says fruits and veggies do add up. but in a good way.. hope i helped good luck with journey!!! :)
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yeah, cos this is what happens when you eat 2000cals+ a day and exercise (in this case lift weights):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/638950-omg-lifting-heavy-made-me-so-bulky