Starting over.. where to begin...?

Options
Last year in between April and December I went from 96.7kg (213lb) to 79.9kg (175lb).
From January to April this year I had plateaued and my weight has just been steadily increasing ever since. I'm now back to 83kg (180lb) and I'm afraid I'm gonna keep going like this.

I know it's my fault, I know where I have slipped up. I keep eating absolute junk whilst at work. I work in fast food and I actually think I am addicted to the food if that is possible.

I still exercise 6-7 days a week.

I just really need help foodwise. This probably sounds stupid but when bingeing at work I actually feel like I'm possessed. (I know I'm not but it feels like I can't help myself legit.)

I don't know where to begin.. I really need help :(

Replies

• londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Last year in between April and December I went from 96.7kg (213lb) to 79.9kg (175lb).
    From January to April this year I had plateaued and my weight has just been steadily increasing ever since. I'm now back to 83kg (180lb) and I'm afraid I'm gonna keep going like this.

I know it's my fault, I know where I have slipped up. I keep eating absolute junk whilst at work. I work in fast food and I actually think I am addicted to the food if that is possible.

I still exercise 6-7 days a week.

I just really need help foodwise. This probably sounds stupid but when bingeing at work I actually feel like I'm possessed. (I know I'm not but it feels like I can't help myself legit.)

I don't know where to begin.. I really need help :(

Start by tracking what you are eating, just to gain a sense of awareness about where you're at.
    Set your MFP goals to an attainable level (e.g. half a pound a week, or even maintenance so that you at least stop gaining)
    Start with small, gentle, sustainable changes: swapping soda for water, fried for grilled, potatoes for carrots... each one is a victory!
    Explore healthier foods, and find ones you love! This is really important as your goal is long term sustainable weight loss
    Keep treats in your diet, but work out which ones are delicious enought to be 'worth' the extra calories.
    Be gentle with yourself, it's a marathon, not a sprint, but this time next year, you could be a whole new person. Good luck, and feel free to add me :)
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just noticed your user name is 'Beautyfrompain'. I think this attitude could be the source of your yo-yo-ing. Weight loss is challenging, but it doesn't have to be torture. Losing 2 pounds a week on a starvation diet may work in the short term, but you have to find a way to eat that you can enjoy for the rest of your life, even if this means you don't see results as quickly.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You start right NOW, here, today.
    Get your MFP settings entered correctly, and eat to goal today.
    And keep exercising. You may need to seek some other type of work, but that's up to you. I could NEVER work around food and not binge. IMPOSSIBLE! That's just me. I am totally addicted.
    Anyway, this is how you start. It's actually very simple.
    Remember, a 20 mile hike into the wilderness means the way out is a 20 mile walk - sometimes a crawl.
    You can do this, but don't make excuses. Start now!
    ALL IS POSSIBLE!
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just noticed your user name is 'Beautyfrompain'. I think this attitude could be the source of your yo-yo-ing. Weight loss is challenging, but it doesn't have to be torture. Losing 2 pounds a week on a starvation diet may work in the short term, but you have to find a way to eat that you can enjoy for the rest of your life, even if this means you don't see results as quickly.

This is so true!

This is the first time I'm on a diet and actually eating really nice, nutritious meals every day! Gone are the days when a diet meant eating a bit of pineapple and some fat free cottage cheese for a week to lose a few pounds that would go back on again afterwards.

To get back to your question OP, can you bring in your own lunches to work? That way, you'll have something else to eat and hopefully you won't be craving the foods at work. Tracking everything you eat in MFP will soon show you how many calories are in the junk food, and hopefully you won't want to eat it once you know how quickly you'll use all your daily calories on it. Start thinking of food as something that has a purpose - are you getting enough protein and healthy fats, are you getting vitamins, are the things you eat going to keep hunger at bay between meals?
  • 140lbgoal
    140lbgoal Posts: 19
    Options
    I know that when I worked for a fast food restaurant, the smell of the food made my stomach constantly growl. I felt like I was constantly starving and the food was like a drug to me. It was impossible to fight and I put on a whole lot of weight before finding a different job. Don't you notice the minute you smell the food, you are hungry? It is a trick the fast food businesses play on their customers to get them to over eat and spend. I wish you luck.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I know the meaning of the song, but that is not the meaning of my username. Don't jump to conclusions?
    The meaning is because I started exercising to help my depression and through this I am off all antidepressants, and I feel like I am now more beautiful inside and out. Because of something which started off as a fight against depression which is the "pain" part.

believe me, I wanna lose 1-2lbs a week, whilst eating healthy nutritious meals and exercising. That is all.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lbs between March & August last year and the put HALF of it back on until February this year, I'm now about 15/20lbs off goal and I do much more now than just watch what I eat.

Read my blog you might get some ideas to help too.

PEACE

Deiting is a life choice NOT life sentence, so don't punish yourself
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I lost 42lbs between March & August last year and the put HALF of it back on until February this year, I'm now about 15/20lbs off goal and I do much more now than just watch what I eat.

Read my blog you might get some ideas to help too.

PEACE

Deiting is a life choice NOT life sentence, so don't punish yourself

I'm NOT punishing myself. Read my last comment?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    This is a simple answer. Don't eat the food that you think is bad for you and if you want it eat in moderation.
    Learn to control your habits gradually, its not going to happen overnight! This is a lifestyle change.. not a quick fix. Eliminate the problem. Change jobs?. Eat a big meal before going to work? Exercise before work? In a break bring your own meals (its all about planning ahead!) You'll save money and your waistline.

Also, tone down the negative thinking.. Its half the reason you worry so much. We are MFP friends and one day you are so happy with yourself and the next you are freaking out over something. Just chilllllllllll.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Also, tone down the negative thinking.. Its half the reason you worry so much. We are MFP friends and one day you are so happy with yourself and the next you are freaking out over something. Just chilllllllllll.

Cos it's so easy to "just chill" when you have PTSD.... right
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yoyo dieting is usually from not changing ones lifestyle...
    myself i am an emotional eater.... it is a daily struggle. I changed my lifestyle..n still emotional parts can add a few pounds...but i have to be mindful to watch my weight closely because of this and stay on top of things.
    Like you said..it's like at times one is possessed lol n at times thats how it feels... behaviours are hard at times breaking and living with...recognizing them is half the battle...
  • CassieReannan
    Options

Watch your attitude. I didn't know.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Watch your attitude. I didn't know.

hahaha oh god you're telling ME to watch my attitude? *facepalm*
  • CassieReannan
    Options

What? I give you some advice in your thread and you retort by saying you have a disorder that I didnt know about and its my fault?
    Alright, thats cool.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

What? I give you some advice in your thread and you retort by saying you have a disorder that I didnt know about and its my fault?
    Alright, thats cool.

I think that you need to re-read what has been written.

Nowhere did I say any of it was your fault.

"Also, tone down the negative thinking.. Its half the reason you worry so much. We are MFP friends and one day you are so happy with yourself and the next you are freaking out over something. Just chilllllllllll."

you kinda started it.
  • CassieReannan
    Options

Alright, thats cool.

I think that you need to re-read what has been written.

Nowhere did I say any of it was your fault.

"Also, tone down the negative thinking.. Its half the reason you worry so much. We are MFP friends and one day you are so happy with yourself and the next you are freaking out over something. Just chilllllllllll."

you kinda started it.

Well its true, we are MFP friends and you are very inspiring some days to me. Then you post something that crushes all your good work and its just sad to see sometimes. You need to start taking control of your life, only you can do this.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get that you're suffering from depression. I've been there and still am. I've also been weaning myself off the meds because they made me gain weight. It's difficult to adjust and hard to just chill and stop stressing about things and being negative, believe me I know. But people are just trying to offer support and be helpful. You asked a question but didn't give all of the information needed for an informed answer.

One technique I've found useful is if you feel like you're losing control or spiralling, just take a step back. Breathe. Think before you react. It is hard and it won't give instant results but if you persevere with it, it can help. I also took up pilates, so maybe try that or yoga. It sounds like a cliche but it really does help. It teaches you how to become more in tune with your body through breathing and can really help focus your mind.

Start with small goals and go from there. If you aim too high you can get discouraged when you don't see the results you want. You can do it.
  • ScoutMomAng
    Options
    It is hard to lose weight to begin with. Add in depression and friends who mean well but sometimes say things that put you on the defensive and it makes it twice as hard. Then on top of all that.....add in the pure love of food (all food not just the wrong foods) and it becomes the biggest challenge in somebody's life.

Judging a book by it's cover is never a good thing and jumping to conclusions is just as bad. I get that some people meant well when commenting on the user name but those people who did that and now know the reason behind the user name (if they read all the comments) probably understand a little better. I know I almost commented before reading your reply to the username, but I held back.

Holding back....that is something you have to teach yourself to do when you are at work around all that food. It's hard. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy. You didn't gain all that weight overnight and losing it isn't going to happen just like that either. Hitting a plateau can be discouraging, but the plateau is like your bodies defense mechanism. It realizes something is going on and it thinks it needs to slow down on the calorie burning. I usually hit it about every 15 pounds or so. When it happens you either need to keep what you are doing and just push through it, or you need to change something. But when you change something you need to do it for a while so your body doesn't think it is being teased and stay at that plateau. For example, if you hit the plateau and you cut down on carbohydrates. You can't do that for just a day or two, you need to do it for about a week. Or if you decide to exercise a little longer or harder, you can't do it just for that day...you have to do it for some time. Plateaus are difficult but they are going to happen and you just need to learn patience to push through it.

When I'm at work I have found that I can not go to lunch with friends. When I go to lunch with them, I tend to eat what they eat, even though I know it is bad for me. It might be great for them but I can't pack in those burgers, fries, coke and frosty's! My "friends" don't care that I eat that stuff. It isn't their body and they aren't worried about mine. Its great that they love me for who I am, but I don't love me in this shape. Maybe they aren't great friends at all, otherwise they would be willing to help me? But maybe I never asked them to help me. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, when you're at work you have to find something or some one that will help you control what you eat. You have to remind yourself why you are on this journey. If that reason isn't as important as it was in the beginning then find a new reason. But you have to set your mind to it. And remember, we are all friends here. We are here to help one another. If you need help, rely on us. We are all here for the same reason. We need to support each other.
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options
    Hey, I get that you're suffering from depression. I've been there and still am. I've also been weaning myself off the meds because they made me gain weight. It's difficult to adjust and hard to just chill and stop stressing about things and being negative, believe me I know. But people are just trying to offer support and be helpful. You asked a question but didn't give all of the information needed for an informed answer.

One technique I've found useful is if you feel like you're losing control or spiralling, just take a step back. Breathe. Think before you react. It is hard and it won't give instant results but if you persevere with it, it can help. I also took up pilates, so maybe try that or yoga. It sounds like a cliche but it really does help. It teaches you how to become more in tune with your body through breathing and can really help focus your mind.

Start with small goals and go from there. If you aim too high you can get discouraged when you don't see the results you want. You can do it.

I totally agree with this ^^^

I suffered with depression to the point last year I was signed off from work. But after I refused to take the meds which made me worse after taking them for 2 weeks (never ate and slept 16-18 hours a day) I pulled myself back out with the help of my wonderful hubby :blushing: and my own will to get better. I still get depressed not as bad but it's still there I worry about everything ALL the time. But I keep a level head and keep going because I know only I can get myself to where I want to be.

You just need to keep your head up and keep moving forward and be strict with yourself. I watched the hubby gorge on a piece of chocolate turkish delight the other night (fathers day gift) and I was so tempted to go and get some chocolate but I thought "NO! you DON'T need it! And you're not even hungry" and I went without. Just keep perservering. :smile:
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know that when I worked for a fast food restaurant, the smell of the food made my stomach constantly growl. I felt like I was constantly starving and the food was like a drug to me. It was impossible to fight and I put on a whole lot of weight before finding a different job. Don't you notice the minute you smell the food, you are hungry? It is a trick the fast food businesses play on their customers to get them to over eat and spend. I wish you luck.

You're absolutely spot on there, food can activate the same reward pathways in the brain that drugs do - seeing or smelling the food can cause the same kind of urges to indulge. Addiction to food can be just as hard to overcome as a drug addiction