losing steam really fast.

Options
i have been on a 6month platau. i cant get my weight or my measurements to budge.

im starting to binge eat again.. and feel very alone with what im triing to do.

i have no support at home and none of my friends are into exercizing and think im over the top with what i do.

i lift 3x a week, and try to do some sort of cardio 6x a week (at least an hour at a time). bike, walk, zumba, elippser.

going into summer and i don't want to even think how bad the suit is going to look. :(

really could use some support..
thanks.
k

Replies

• ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    God plateaus suck! Feel free to add me to your fl for support :)
  • laneydawn
    laneydawn Posts: 64
    Options
    Hey thre chickie! Try to focus on what you have accomplished - not what you haven't. Its so hard some days, and maybe you're just gonna say to hell with today and let loose. That's okay. Just get back on track and plough through it. Feel free to friend me!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Don't lose hope..you've come this far. Maybe you should reduce the lifting for awhile and focus on the cardio. Also it's harder to burn calories the smaller you get. How are you feeling in general? If you feel better then you did before you lost the weight that's as important as the total amount of weight you lose. If you don't and you're feeling fatigued or unwell then a trip to the doctor might be in order. There could be something else going on that's caused you to stop losing weight.

I know what it's like to feel like you don't have support around you. Unfortunately our friends and family can be our worst enemies when it comes to change and self evolvement. It can make others uncomfortable to see us improve ourselves because they are unhappy with themselves. This is very toxic to those of us who eat for comfort or because we dont feel loved. You have inside of you everything you need to accomplish your goal....don't forget that.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    thanks.. im not feeling 100% great.. i have been thinking it is stress related. i have been very tired. and fatigued.. and find that when i do take a nap, i wake up with the shakes. (mostly in my hands).

i notice my arms are very week. or at least i think they are.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Please don't give up!!! You have come SO FAR & you are doing great!!!! I am kind of in a plateau right now too...if I had a 6 month plateau I would be so discouraged too. I am lucky to have great support & I know it is that MUCH harder without it. I tried for over a year to lose weight on my own & finally I joined a gym where they had group personal training. It is fun to work out with a group (good way to make friends who like to work out too) & it makes you accountable, plus it is less expensive. That was the only thing that has helped me. Part of the training included a nutritionist & she helped me see how poorly I was eating. Since you are already on mfp, I imagine you are on top of the nutrition part. I find that if I include a "splurge" day in my week, it helps me not feel deprived & it gives me a break from always being so regimented. I need to be regimented for the most part, but it does help to have a break. If you are so tired and fatigued, maybe you should have a rest day built in...even if the "rest" is talking a walk instead of hitting it hard at the gym. If that shakiness continues, I would go see a doctor...you could be anemic... Also, please remember that the same amount of weight in muscle is much denser than the same amount of fat, so even though the scale won't show it, you actually look smaller. That took me years to finally understand. A lot of people on here say eat more & the weight will melt off, but I am still too chicken to try that :( At any rate, you are doing AWESOME & don't let anyone or anything stand in your way...YOU are SO WORTH IT!!!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    thanks.. im not feeling 100% great.. i have been thinking it is stress related. i have been very tired. and fatigued.. and find that when i do take a nap, i wake up with the shakes. (mostly in my hands).

i notice my arms are very week. or at least i think they are.

You should definetely go see the doctor. As someone just posted you could be anemic. Stress does terrible things to our bodies and it plays havoc with our emotions which will make you binge. Since it's impossible to eliminate certain stressors in our lives you might want to find something that relaxes you and do it each day. Read, meditate, listen to music...whatever works for you. Remember we need balance in our lives!! It's possible that you are focusing too much on exercise and your weight...

I'm here to support you if you want to send a friend request.. :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Try logging your food.
  • merisendabills
    Options
    Have you tried adding variety and intensity into your workouts? From what I've heard, programs like Insanity can help break plateaus.
  • BlonDeee23
    BlonDeee23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself and you'll fly high...
    It doesn't matter what people say...
    It doesn't matter how long it takes...
    It only matters how true you are ...
    Be true to yourself and follow your heart..

You are doing an awesome job!! You can do it!!
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    First, it sucks having no support. But that's when you fly by, wave and say, "see ya suckers!" LOL! be proud of what you do! I get A LOT of slack for "always having to go to the gym" but, I say, "that's right, gotta bolt, my class is starting!" and smile! :)

Second, I would definitely go to a doctor and get a regular blood test. Possibly thyroid test - ask to check for T3 levels and not just the routine T4 levels they normally check - big difference! Also, check for iron and other vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Do you have a HRM? sometimes when I've reached a plateau or I'm just plain bored working out, I make up dumb games with myself to make my heart rate go up higher- like recently on the treadmill I've started saying that during every mile, I will increase my speed and incline certain increments for the entire mile. for instance I start out at 6.0 mph (10 min mile) at an incline of 0.5 and every .20 of the mile I will increase my speed. so at say mile 1.2 I'm going 6.1 mph at 1 incline. 1.4 mile I'm going 6.2 mph at 1.5 incline and I just keep doing it until I get to 50% incline or whatever....just make up something that seems harder than you usually do and set mini goal/games

Third, binge eating...has it turned into binging and purging? :( perhaps you should talk to someone if it's gone that far.

good luck, but never let anyone get in your way. you are all you've got!
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your exercise routine. Add more intense cardio. Your muscles are used to elliptical by now and don't burn as many calories any more. You need to challenge them with something else. Try Turbo Jam or, my favorite, Janet Jenkins Bikini Boot Camp - killer. Also there are a lot of kickboxing tapes - try those. And please keep logging the calories on weekends, even if you go way over. I do most of the weekends but still log them all. When I see how much I went over it makes me want to try to be better next week. I know it sound lame but it works for me.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    Try logging your food.
    normally i do.. i have been lazy the last few days.
  • Diotima73
    Diotima73 Posts: 13
    Options
    Would you rather stay on the plateau, or gain back what you have lost?

Remember, it took you a long time to get to this point; it is going to take a while to lose the weight.

Hang in there.
  • dgrl86
    dgrl86 Posts: 4
    Options
    Stress on the body causes fat to hold on to the body. Sometimes too much exercise can confuse the body into thinking its stressed...not to mention, if u are ACTUALLY stressed on top of that! Ease up a little on the exercise and concentrate on the food. lift 1-2 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week.
  • DirectNirvana
    Options
    It looks like you've already lost a lot of weight, so maybe you've lost most of the "easy" weight. The last few pounds are much harder to lose that the first, for a few reasons. Now that you're lighter when you do cardio such as running/swimming/zumba you're moving less weight and therefore burning less calories. Also as you lift weights your body becomes more efficient at performing the excercises, and then burns less calories. Changing your routine by either increasing intensity using something like HIIT or an Insanity workout could help you break the plateau, and if your weight lifting has also plateau'd (how are your gains in that area?) then it might be time to either take a break or considering a deload.
    The worst thing about plateau's is they never feel like they'll end but the best advice is to consider your diet first (how many calories are you eating, how much fat, how many carbs, etc.) especially making sure that you're getting enough water and not UNDEReating. If everything seems like its fine with your diet THEN think about changing your exercise routine or even taking a break for a week, just to give your body a chance to reset.
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've looked back to when you where logging your food and exercise, are you REALLY netting less than 1000clas per day?

That could account for the shakes & the sleepiness/tiredness.

how much do you think you NET each week
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you have been exercising a lot, and not eating enough, the tiredness and shakes is what will result, obviously. Your body can only cope with so much and will react to not being treated properly, whether that be overeating, overexercising or undereating. I suggest you make sure you are netting at least 1200 calories a day from healthy, nutritious foods, and cut down your exercise a bit for a while. I have heard that others have actually broken their plateaus by having a week long exercise break.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was talking with a fitness instructor/nutritionist here where I work yesterday. I told her I seem to be in a bit of a plateau right now. I think the scale is actually going to move the wrong way this Friday :( ...anywat her only piece of advice was to increase my water. I told her I do get 8-9 glasses a day....she said to still increase it more. So it's 8am and I've already put down 2 glasses. I'm aiming for at least 12 a day for the next week. Don't know if it's going to work, but it's worth a shot :) Also,,,,never, never, never give up. you will kick yourself 6 months from now if you do. I lost 35 lbs in 2008 and slacked off (even though I wanted to lose more) anyway I gained 45 back over the next couple of years. and yes....I wanted to KICK myself. But I'm down 40 now and would like to lose another 15. but I'm in that funky diet mood the last few days...hate that mood. It just needs to pass quickly. So trust me, you are not alone. WE can do this. We are strong women :wink: Also, I see where people have suggested cardio...I have come to love running. I started walking on Jan. 1st. 1 mile here, 3 miles there. Added in some spurts of jogging. Now I can jog 5 miles without walking. So adding in cardio may boost you out of the plateau.
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    track what ur eating... go see a doc & make sure all's ok in your body, since you've lost a significant amount of weight. make sure you eat back exercise calories bc your body may be going into starvation mode if ur not eating enough... feel free to add me
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Try logging your food.
    normally i do.. i have been lazy the last few days.

Ok, looking over your food diary, it looks like you need to cut down on the refined sugar and the prepackaged foods (Vitamin Water, Hamburger Helper, snacks, etc.). All that stuff is made with preservatives, man-made chemical ingredients, is high in sodium, and probably contains genetically modified ingredients-non of which is good for your body. You need to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, and whole grains (if you're going to have them). You might also try eating 100-200 calories more.