Question for those with high blood pressure

Options
I've been on blood pressure medication for about 4 years. I've been exercising intensely since January. First Hip Hop Abs and elliptical. In the last 12 weeks it's been Turbo Fire and lots of walking. My weight loss has been extremely slow, but it is happening...17 pounds so far. I take my blood pressure daily at home. My readings have been so much lower than they were before I started all this. Taking 40 mgs of Lisinopril 2x a day, my readings struggled to stay below 145/90. Now, they average 110/65 with 40 mgs once a day. Sometimes even lower. I had a physical a few days ago. My readings always suck when I'm at the doctor. They sucked even when I didn't have high blood pressure. It was 177/95. Yes, bad. But, as I said, they are good at home. Because they are high in the office my doctor refused to talk about trying to lower my meds. I'm never going to have a decent reading in her office, so this really frustrates me. I'm wondering how many pounds you lost and what you're readings were before your doctor decided to lower your meds and/or take you off of them?

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I am on a combination of 3 BP meds, Carvedilol (beta blocker), Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) and Amlodopine (Calcium channel blocker). I have been on BP meds for 25 years. All three of these, I am on the lowest dose offered. I have had zero problem taking off weight while on these meds, but, in fact, my BP has gone down a lot since I started working out more, and more intensely. Also, get a BP reader of your own, take your BP once a day, at different times each day, and chart it. Take that to your doc. After a couple of months of evidence, I'd be very surprised if he/she didn't adjust your dose if it were needed. Most people have higher readings in the doc's office than at home.

ETA: Include your heart rate in your readings.
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do have a home meter and take it once a day at various times. I have shown my dr. these readings. For example my last three readings were 109/65, 110/62, 102/65. My heart rate averages 66. Looking back in the memory at my readings before I started exercising and losing weight, I was averaging 145/90 with a heart rate of 82. She said she needs to see a good reading in her office before she considers decreasing the meds. I have done some research and it seems that even a small 20 pound weight loss could be enough to decrease meds. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Next time you go to your doctor, bring your home meter in so you and she can compare the readings between the two right there in the office to make sure they are accurate with one another, and so that she can see that you're doing it right. She may be more willing to accept a record of your home readings then.

You can also ask her to take your BP again at the end of your appointment because usually by then the 'white coat' reading will have gone away a bit.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    One more suggestion--don't drink any caffeine before going to the doctor, and don't exercise right before, both of those will give you a higher reading, try to be as relaxed as possible.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i too am on a combination of bp meds and noticed a huge drop in the past month or so, I am on Losartan 2x a day metropolol2x a day and amlodopine once a day. also on 364 gram aspirin and 5 other vitamins and now have been put on lorazepam for anxiety, Blood pressure would often go 180/82 then came down to a respectable 144 or 136 over 78. Now I have eliminated the night time Losartan and depending on how low it is (sometimes 106/ 67, 111/71 I may also skip metoprolol, My doctor said if you dont need it dont take it, but dont stop one altogether because they work together, I record my pressure 3 or four times a day,
  • caroncarlson
    caroncarlson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also take lisinopril and although I am just starting to lose weight, the last time I dropped some weight I did see it go down. If you notice you are more tired than normal or ever feel dizzy or woozy, stop and take your BP and see where it is. My guess is it will be too low. I am also paying as much attention to sodium as I am calories, etc. I have been trying to stay around 1000-1200 a day, and it's hard. It means to eat almost NO prepared foods.....sigh
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I did have high blood pressure before the weight loss started. Mine was around 150 over 100 on average. Its now about 120 over 70 give or take. I stopped taking the blood pressure meds a few month ago. I feel better without them, they would make me dizzy, off ballance and give me headaches. Good Luck
  • caroncarlson
    caroncarlson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh! one more thing! go back to the DRs office and ask the nurse to take your BP again with their cuff, and then right away with yours. The home monitors rarely are accurate. But the dystolic # at 60-65 is verging on too low. Also, I used to get high readings and I would sit in the outer office for 10-15 minutes or so and listen to soothing music on my Ipod, then let them take it again and it was always lower. They should take your BP without an office visit, especially since you are trying to calibrate your machine...
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just bumping as I too am curious...any more responses?
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BP is the main motivator for me to lose weight/get in shape. I haven't lost much weight so far and that didn't lower my BP, but after starting a more intense exercise program 3 weeks ago, I just lowered my dose from 40mg lisinopril to 20mg. It seems to be doing the job fairly well, normal or slightly above normal. Hopefully that will continue to improve and I will be able to lower it even more or eliminate it in the future (*knocks on wood*).

Anyway, I took my home monitor in to the nurse's station to check it and it was accurate. That's the first thing to find out. Make sure you get a couple of minutes to sit down and relax before they take it, too.

I read somewhere that laughter lowers BP. My BP is usually OK at my doctor's office but I have another doctor I go to in another city where I always get stressed out so I get high readings there. One time at this Dr.'s I had a really high reading, I closed my eyes and visualized a hilarious video I had seen the day before on YouTube (almost laughed out loud), then she took it again and it went way back down. So you could try that. Have a couple of funny things in mind or tell a funny joke to the nurse just before they take it, lol.
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just took a reading. It was 126/69. That was before taking any meds and running around making breakfast and getting ready for the morning. I have taken my bp monitor in and she's taken my bp with it after using theirs. It's the same. I do get periods of dizziness and I'm tired a lot. I've taken a reading when I feel that way and its always pretty low. I've told her this. I don't know why she's being so stubborn about wanting a good reading at her office before considering even talking about lowering my meds? It's really frustrating and it's no wonder why I get high readings there. I get so anxious because I know she's not going to listen to me about this so my bp goes up. I've tried to talk to her about this twice.
  • virjenmarie
    virjenmarie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have high blood pressure and I don't take meds. I don't take meds because once your on them the Dr. will not lower them or take you off from them once you pressure is normal. Exercise is my choice of drug and I do cardio 6 days a week. It keeps my bp down also the dash diet which absolutely works. High white carbs an high sodium is not my friend so i stay away. My Dr. told me she is shock to see how low my bp is I to take readings at home. So my problem is the same as yours HIGH READINGS AT THE OFFICE!!!! and its all due to anxiety right before they take it and my Dr. figured this out or a years time. Anxiety happens because you fear a bad reading and you get worked up so up goes the bp. So my Dr. takes multiple reading while I am there and right before I leave and of course its really low again because I am more relaxed. I always bring my music and my I pad so that helps. Maybe you should talk to your Dr. about multiple readings while your there and note them for a few months then they can determine what to do from there i really hopes this helps.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's called "white coat syndrome" and is well-known. I haven't heard of a doctor who isn't aware of it! I would say now that you've proven your monitor is accurate, show her your log of readings, and ask to have the nurse take another reading after you have sat and relaxed a while after being taken to the exam room. Let's see... also, don't cross your legs or talk while it's being taken.

Another possibility: They usually have a nurse's station where you can go in for free without having a doctor's visit and just have them check your BP. A few years ago my doctor had me do that a few times a week for a while. It could help you alleviate the white coat syndrome since it is a more relaxed process and no doctor, and they should be willing to take several readings if necessary.

I've had dizziness and tiredness from BP meds too and it's awful, hope you can get your dosage adjusted soon!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just write down your readings and take them in to your doc. If they don't want to lower it I'd consider another doctor. My readings are always much higher at the doc than at home.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ask if there is a possibility of getting a 24hr ambulatory blood pressure monitor from the doctors. My blood pressure was high at the doctor, got told to get some readings at a pharmacy to see if it was still high (which is was because I tend to powerwalk everywhere) and afterwards got referred for a 24hr monitor. They put it on you and you're meant to do everything as normal, it takes readings every 30 mins during the day and every hour at night. Bring it back 24hrs later and you get a print out of readings and heart rate.

Mine showed quite significant 'white coat hypertension' with normal readings most of the time except when exercising (in which case you expect it to go up anyway). Result= no meds for me!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i was on 10mg of ramipril daily. with weight loss my bp did come down but i really seen the change when i started walking. after a month and a half i was totally off bp meds. my bp now is approx 105/58 far cry from 198/90 lol
  • sunnychase
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here to myfitnesspal. Have high blood pressure that I inherited from my mother. Didn't show up until about a year ago. The main reason I joined was to get sodium counts on restaurant foods, and food in general. I'm finding that watching my sodium intake is having a positive effect on lowering my bp. Mine was insanely high, still trying to get it leveled out. I'm taking 4 different meds, and just want to be healthy, and someday off meds. I do exercise regularly and find that helps too. And deep breathing. I am encouraged by all of your helpful responses. Its nice to know there are others out there like me.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It's called "white coat syndrome" and is well-known. I haven't heard of a doctor who isn't aware of it!

^^ THIS!!!
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with Floobaloob. Ask your doctor if you can use a 24-hour BP monitor. That way, you can go about your daily routine and the machine will check your BP periodically. Since the machine comes from your doctor, he/she should have no problem accepting the readings as evidence of your decreased need for meds. Similarly, if your at-home BP monitor has calibration issues, this will allow you to become aware of (and fix) the problem.

I'm happy to see this thread. I developed high blood pressure during pregnancy and have had it ever since. I've been told that a 10% decrease in body weight should be enough to significantly lower blood pressure. I haven't monitored my BP since I started eating better and exercising, though. It's definitely time!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    All these posts have been very helpful. I developed high blood pressure in my early 50s (runs in the family) but I was also 50 lbs overweight and no longer exercising regularly. My bp spiked dangerously during a bout of pneumonia and some knee surgery, and I've been on medication since. A real bummer. I lost about 20 lbs before joining this site, and I really like how I can track sodium so I've been much better about keeping sodium down. The last 10 days I have greatly reduced my gluten intake as well, though not sure if this is related. AND I have seen a dramatic drop in bp from an average of 128-135 / 89-95 down to almost too low of 108 / 70 so I've stopped my bp meds and will be seeing my doc soon to discuss. I already knew that dropping 50 lbs would help but being able to track sodium closely has really made it happen for me.