Natural sugars

Options
Hey everyone,
What are everyone's opinions on natural sugars? Are you concerned if you go over your allowance, if it is fruit / salads that have caused this?

I'm in two minds on the subject...

Nikki

Replies

• mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't add sugar to anything, or eat anything sweet except fruit. I don't track sugar, but I'll check it every once in a while to see where I am. It doesn't really concern me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts. Don't bother tracking sugars, just track carbs. Sugar is sugar. Makes no differences what the source is in the big picture.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Some helpful comments.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    white table sugar is wholly natural, it grows in sugar beet or sugar cane and is captured energy from sunlight. That may help you avoid artificially segregating sugars into groups :-)
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    A couple of thoughts. Don't bother tracking sugars, just track carbs. Sugar is sugar. Makes no differences what the source is in the big picture.

Exactly!

Carbs are transformed into sugar and then get to the blood: if there's too much it will be stored as glycogen, if there's not enough glycogen will be reversed into sugar and fat will be used as a source of energy too if that's not enough :)

Anyway sugars are an important source of energy because some organs as muscles and brain use primarily sugars as an energy source.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    white table sugar is wholly natural, it grows in sugar beet or sugar cane and is captured energy from sunlight. That may help you avoid artificially segregating sugars into groups :-)

Agreed!
  • Elimac49
    Elimac49 Posts: 6
    Options
    Eating too much sugar of any type over a long period of time can have serious health consequences. This could increase your risk for diabetes and heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, elevated blood triglycerides & inflammation. Eating too many calories in the form of added sugar means you'll consume fewer nutritious foods, which can shortchange your body of essential nutrients.
    All carbs can affect your blood sugar, but carbohydrates with a high glycemic index, such as sweets, white flour and highly processed grains, will cause it to spike more quickly, highs and lows you want to prevent.
    Other consequences of consuming too much sugar include susceptibility to infectious diseases and yeast infections, hyperactivity in children, crankiness and mood changes and eczema. Sugar can also increase your triglycerides, which are one of the components of your cholesterol. High triglycerides mean a greater risk of heart attacks. Sugar might also weaken your immune system
    All sugars are carbohydrates, and classed as good or bad depending on their GI (Glycemic Index) rate. Complex carbohydrates are considered "good" because of the longer series of sugars that make them up and take the body more time to break down. They generally have a lower GI, which means that you will get lower amounts of sugars released at a more consistent rate — instead of high and lows —to keep you going throughout the day. Also complex carbohydrates foods that contain sugar usually have fibre, protein and other essential nutrients include. e.g. Fresh & dried fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy produce & whole grains Lower glycemic index foods are healthier for your body, and will tend to make you feel fuller for longer after eating them. Most, but not all, complex carbs fall into the low glycemic index category.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also complex carbohydrates foods that contain sugar usually have fibre, protein and other essential nutrients include. e.g. Fresh & dried fruit
    The sugars in fruit are simple carbohydrates - glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc. They aren't complex at all.
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    Also complex carbohydrates foods that contain sugar usually have fibre, protein and other essential nutrients include. e.g. Fresh & dried fruit
    The sugars in fruit are simple carbohydrates - glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc. They aren't complex at all.

That's right but fruit also contains fibers proteins and vitamins, even if in smaller amount.

I guess that's what I think the one who posted the first post wanted to say :)
  • nikkia65forlife
    nikkia65forlife Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found steevia & truvia to be great all natural sugar substitutes. My favorite is organic steevia. All the others are artificial sweetneers like Splenda, Sweet n Low, NutraSweet and Equal contain toxic ingredients like saccharin, sucralose and aspartame.