Moving on from 30DS - what do you recommend?

Options
EmRobo
EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
I have been doing 30DS for a while now, I usually do L2 & L3 together when the children are at preschool and just one level when they are with me.

Killer thighs and buns L1 was on a fitness tv programme which I sky+ I had a go and I quite liked it and I also sky+ Ripped in 30 Level 1 and I am hoping to do it today or tomorrow.

I was just wondering what you lovely people moved onto from 30DS, I like the look of no more trouble zones, I need to concentrate on my arms, but as I said I liked level one of killer buns and thighs so may buy that

What do you all like/recommend and why?

I am hoping to get a copy of insanity soon, but I do like JM

Replies

• tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did Ripped in 30 after the 30DS, but can't say I loved it. Jillian has a bad-*kitten* attitude in it...and there were parts of level 3 that really bothered my back to the extent that I was afraid I'd slip a disc or something--if I remember correctly it was some kind of move that required you to drop to the floor and roll like a ball on your spine. Also, it kind of seemed like some of the moves were just silly/crazy--I think because she tried not to repeat any moves in any of the workouts--it was almost like she ran out of ideas. Levels 1 and 2 were fine (and I still use them occasionally). I like her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism a lot--it's about 50 minutes long, but it's almost all cardio--still circuit style, but all the strength moves are using body weight only (no weights). Read the reviews on Amazon...there are lots and they are helpful. It burns a lot of calories (about 400+). I didn't love No More Trouble Zones--it felt a little too easy. Never tried Killer Buns and Thighs. A non-Jillian DVD that I love is Kelly Coffey Meyer's 30 minutes to fitness weights. I do that several times a week and it's great for the arms. Her style is the opposite from Jillian's--low key but still very motivating.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Whats your goal? If you have the strength to do both level 2 and 3 together I would suggest RIpped but up your weights. Or do No more trouble zones.
  • jkb1129
    jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    After I finished my first round of 30DS I moved on to RI30. For the most part, I like RI30 better than 30DS. You do more moves each circuit so I liked that you did each move for a shorter period of time. Yes, Jillian is a little obnoxious in it, but I just turn her down and turn up my music and it's all good.

I also own NMTZ, Killer Buns & Thighs, BFBM, and Six Week Six Pack. I like ALL of them, and rotate them depending on what I want. If I want a killer cardio workout, I do BFBM. If I want to focus on toning, I do NMTZ. The other two are great as well. The great thing with JIllian's DVDs is they are easy to mix and match. You can't go wrong with any of them! :smile:
  • EmRobo
    Options
    I did Ripped in 30 after the 30DS, but can't say I loved it. Jillian has a bad-*kitten* attitude in it...and there were parts of level 3 that really bothered my back to the extent that I was afraid I'd slip a disc or something--if I remember correctly it was some kind of move that required you to drop to the floor and roll like a ball on your spine. Also, it kind of seemed like some of the moves were just silly/crazy--I think because she tried not to repeat any moves in any of the workouts--it was almost like she ran out of ideas. Levels 1 and 2 were fine (and I still use them occasionally). I like her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism a lot--it's about 50 minutes long, but it's almost all cardio--still circuit style, but all the strength moves are using body weight only (no weights). Read the reviews on Amazon...there are lots and they are helpful. It burns a lot of calories (about 400+). I didn't love No More Trouble Zones--it felt a little too easy. Never tried Killer Buns and Thighs. A non-Jillian DVD that I love is Kelly Coffey Meyer's 30 minutes to fitness weights. I do that several times a week and it's great for the arms. Her style is the opposite from Jillian's--low key but still very motivating.

Thats an interesting read, thanks for your input! And thanks for the info re the other dvd, I have two days without the children so I can workout for longer, but the other days its hard, so anything 20-30mins would be good
  • EmRobo
    Options
    Whats your goal? If you have the strength to do both level 2 and 3 together I would suggest RIpped but up your weights. Or do No more trouble zones.

At the moment, I don't really have a goal as such, I still have approx 20lbs to go but will see when I get closer to getting the final 14lbs off.
    I would love to tone my arms and tops of thighs more, and of course the stomach, muffin top!!

Thanks for your input :)
  • EmRobo
    Options
    After I finished my first round of 30DS I moved on to RI30. For the most part, I like RI30 better than 30DS. You do more moves each circuit so I liked that you did each move for a shorter period of time. Yes, Jillian is a little obnoxious in it, but I just turn her down and turn up my music and it's all good.

I also own NMTZ, Killer Buns & Thighs, BFBM, and Six Week Six Pack. I like ALL of them, and rotate them depending on what I want. If I want a killer cardio workout, I do BFBM. If I want to focus on toning, I do NMTZ. The other two are great as well. The great thing with JIllian's DVDs is they are easy to mix and match. You can't go wrong with any of them! :smile:

I might try her level one of ripped and see how I go. I am just wondering whether to buy the JM collection DVD, as I was thinking of mixing it up a little, and I have just found on here about her JM slimdown in 30 days which combines all workouts on different days :)

Thank you for your input :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Ripped in 30! I started with ripped in 30, made it to week 2 (1 day) and then went to 30ds. Now I'm doing week 2 of RI30 and already looking forward to week 3!!! :bigsmile:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    KickBox FastFix is great, and I also enjoyed 6 Week 6 Pack by Jillian. I have Ripped in 30 but I can't say I love it as much.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Thanks for the heads up about the back stuff! I had back surgery before and was going to start 30DS soon. I will still do it, but maybe I'll improvise a few moves when those come up!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    JM also has the "Extreme Shed and Shred" video... Maybe try that one too.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS, RI30, and 6W6P all in a row last fall before I broke my tailbone. RI30 is sort of the natural progression from 30DS.
    I've climbed back on the wagon this spring and I'm doing two levels every day. I also added Kickbox FastFix and LOVE IT. It's fast-paced so I don't get bored. I'll be looking for another DVD to add to the rotation this weekend. My sister is getting married in September and I want to look GOOD. I also want to get off cholesterol meds.
  • tcat2012
    Options

Thanks for the heads up about the back stuff! I had back surgery before and was going to start 30DS soon. I will still do it, but maybe I'll improvise a few moves when those come up!

I don't think you need to worry about your back for 30DS (maybe be careful with the pylo/jumps); but it was definitely an issue for me with Ripped in 30--there are 2 segements on that one that bothered my back--one was in level 2 (I think) that used a dumbell kind of kettle-bell style (swinging it down between your legs and then up over your head) that just didn't feel right in my back; and then something in level 3 (pretty sure it was level 3) that required rolling on your spine--that one felt bad for me so I stopped doing that move. You can always modify, but still, be aware of it. Again--no back issues for me with 30 day shred, just with ripped in 30 (and I've never had any back trouble with any other exercises).
  • tcat2012
    Options

Thats an interesting read, thanks for your input! And thanks for the info re the other dvd, I have two days without the children so I can workout for longer, but the other days its hard, so anything 20-30mins would be good

Besides Jillian's DVDs that Kelly Coffey Meyers (it's called 30-minutes-to-fitness-weights) is my absolute favorite. You get a full-body strength training workout in a short period of time--she has pre-mixes on the menu that are great (my favorite is a 38 minute "full body blast") and you can work your way up to heavy dumbbells to give yourself a really nice body-sculpting workout. Lots of squats for the legs and plenty of arm work (including triceps on that 38 minute mix). Although I do think her DVDs are hit-or-miss...I loved the 30 minutes weights video so much that I bought 2 more of hers (LIFT and NYC) that I just don't enjoy at all and so have only done them a couple of times.