10 Things You Need To Know About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It does not look like it is on iPlayer anymore. I have set up a reminder on Sky and when it is next I will let you know.
    I just did a google search and this appear to have been shown on Really which is one of the uktv family of channels (otherwise known as BBC Worldwide as they have primarily BBC and Thames/Freemantle content).

It looks like it's going to be repeated on Saturday 7 July at 10pm

10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight
    Saturday 7th July at 10.00pm on Really
    Sky Channel 248, Virgin TV 267, Freeview 20

Going to have to Plus that, as this was the programme that seeded my weight-loss when I first watched it back in 2010 (although it took me another 18 months and a lecture from my best friend to get my *kitten* in gear).
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like this summary, it is true. Thanks for posting.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting, thanks for posting!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I watched this first time round and was fascinated by the mixture of common sense and cutting-edge science. The counting calories accurately point is absolutely the basis behind most people's weight gain and subsequent loss. So many people complain they don't eat much and blame slow metabolisms when in fact they down far more calories than they think. It was certainly my problem! Secret Eaters focusses on this exclusively, and often people consume more than twice what they record based on portion size, sneaky nibbles and unrecorded drinks.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - its great to read something that makes more sense.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

6) Soup keeps you fuller for longer

Hunger pangs are caused by the stomach shrinking after it has been emptied of food.
    Two groups of army trainees were given the same, exact food and the same amount. Chicken, rice, carrots, peas and a glass of water. The yellow group ate this normally on a plate.
    However, the red group had their food & water blended into a soup.
    An hour after the meal, the groups' stomachs were scanned using an ultrasound scanner to see how big the stomach was. At one hour, the yellow groups' stomach was already 60% the size it was at the beginning, but the red team's was at 90%.
    At 2 hours, the yellow team's was at 40%, the red group still at 70%.
    At 3 hours, the yellow groups' was empty, but the red team's was at 40%.
    Finally after 4 hours, is when the red teams' stomachs were finally empty.

The results showed that the soup stayed in the stomachs for longer, due to the water being blended in and not being able to drain, because as it drains, it leaves the less space-occupying solid food, which is what occurred in the yellow groups' stomachs. This means soup can stave off hunger for at least an hour longer due to the fact the stomach is still occupied for that much longer.

Yeah I heard this soup one before but couldn't remember the details

I have to say that drinking water DOES NOT make me feel less hungry as many have suggested it should - this soup thing is different though and very interesting
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Edit: Sorry for posting twice. The server was a bit slow...
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!

Thanks for posting.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nice post!!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    very interesting! thanks for the info!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I watched this first time round and was fascinated by the mixture of common sense and cutting-edge science. The counting calories accurately point is absolutely the basis behind most people's weight gain and subsequent loss. So many people complain they don't eat much and blame slow metabolisms when in fact they down far more calories than they think. It was certainly my problem! Secret Eaters focusses on this exclusively, and often people consume more than twice what they record based on portion size, sneaky nibbles and unrecorded drinks.
    Accurately recording calories is a must, which is why I despair when I see things like a chicken breast, 1 cup in the database, because you cannot accurately gauge the weight and therefore calorie content of solid food like chicken by volume.

Portion sizes vary. Only today I tried a new cereal from Aldi (basically their take on crunchy nut clusters) and the portion size on the box is 30g which when measured out was barely 3 spoonfuls - a regular cereal bowl actually contained 140g almost 5 times as much and at 141 Calories a portion that's a whopping 658 Calories a bowl!

And the misconception that certain foods are ok because they are good for us, which in the programme saw actress Debbie Chazen put away a kilo of fresh fruit salad every morning, not realising just how many calories it contained.
  • jennieh1980
    jennieh1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Remember seeing this a while back, thanks for posting it.

As much as I hate counting calories and find it a really tedious thing to do it definatley works, otherwise I think I'm eating healthy and keep a 'mental check' of what I'm eating but bad habits with chocolate etc creep back in really quickly, ig I count them it just keeps me mindful of what I'm eating
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I watched this documentary a while back too. I found it really interesting!
    Thanks for posting it! I'm definitely going to save this information!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I love me a good, low-fat diary.
  • sjum
    sjum Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

You wouldn't want to see my holiday diary then - full of fat!
  • gmhvin
    gmhvin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Saving for later,thanks
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

You wouldn't want to see my holiday diary then - full of fat!
    Fat is always the macro I come up short on.

Sweet irony.