let's talk about long term results and maintenance

Options
I would like to share my (not uncommon!) experience. I have been doing a feverish yo - yo within a weight range of 55-62 kg ( 121-136 lbs) over the last 2 - 3 years. It may seem not a big deal of yo yo but being quite small, a couple of kg actually changes my appeareance a lot (=1 size) and I lose and gain the same +2kg within a month, for several months....

Therefore, I do not consider "maintenance" as a mere number but as being aware of what/how much/how mindfully I eat, I am learning to consider maintenance as a set of habits I meet, respect, stick to.

Basically, I never hit a genuine maintenance mindset in my life, N.e.v.e.r.

What do you consider maintenance? Do you refer to a number, a mindset, habits, rules...?

And for successful "maintainers", how long have you been able to stick to your healthy weight and how did your core motivation change?

I am curious and very interested to the weight/body factor as a long term fact.

Replies

• Shejayms
    Shejayms Posts: 2
    Options
    I also would like some advise on maintenance. Just like you I've never felt like I have been on maintenance. Just yo-yo up and yo-yo down. Does anyone out there have some advise??????
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose 30 pounds last year.. and I've lost 29 out of that 30 and so far have kept it all off for 6 months( I fluctuate between 151-155).

When I decided to maintain, it was really just doing what I was doing before(IE eating better foods, exercising the same amount as before, throwing in a bit more strength training). I also told myself I could have a range weight(IE the 151-155) and if I started creeping over that, then it was time to look at my diet/exercise routine again.

I'm tall(stand at 5'9) so a fluctuation of 3 pounds, really doesn't do much for me. I still fit into my smaller clothes and my body look good.. and to me, thats all that really matters.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have reached my original weight goal and still fluctuate within a five pound range and, sometimes as much as seven pounds. But it is based on many factors and it is easily lost again over the next couple days if I just keep counting calories and exercising.

Don't concentrate on staying an exact weight, It won't happen just stay within a comfortable range. If you feel you have eaten too much on a particular day, go for a walk after dinner and burn it off.

Just weigh yourself once or twice a week at the most.

Simple maintenance.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I started using MFP I decided to change my lifestyle.
    It is not "just" a diet, but it is a long term change. I workout quite every day, so it became my daily "routine", and from the other part, I started to realize what am I eating. I started to learn to cook differently. I have to enjoy what I eat otherwise I know, I will give up. When I reach my goal I am sure to stay on MFP in order to remain in the right track. My body amd my health needs that consciousness that I got from MFP.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Losing and gaining 2kg is not a problem, it's a normal fluctuation. You can't expect your weight to stay at one exact number all the time, that's just not how it works.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am back to where I started - 5 lbs. more than where I feel comfortable. No one else notices the weight gain but me. At this point, I am just thinking that keeping up with the constant calorie rationing, the need to schedule every other thing in my life around my workouts - it is all a LOT of pressure. Yet I am fairly dissatisfied with the 5 lbs & am making excuses not to go out in public because of it... Maintenance? What is that???? :frown:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have reached my original weight goal and still fluctuate within a five pound range and, sometimes as much as seven pounds. But it is based on many factors and it is easily lost again over the next couple days if I just keep counting calories and exercising.

Don't concentrate on staying an exact weight, It won't happen just stay within a comfortable range. If you feel you have eaten too much on a particular day, go for a walk after dinner and burn it off.

Just weigh yourself once or twice a week at the most.

Simple maintenance.

Well said.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. 15 pounds is a lot to me. I would suggest that you look at your habits. maybe you are trying to go back to former eating patterns after you lose the weight? So then it comes back. You can't do that if you want to maintain a healthy weight. You have to stick with healthy eating, portion control, and regular exercise.
  • Shejayms
    Shejayms Posts: 2
    Options
    That's what I was going to ask. Do you continue to log once you reach maintenance? If so, do you slowly raise you calories until you stabilize around a certain weight. I know you vary, but my problem is once I reach goal weigh it becomes a food fest.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    When I started using MFP I decided to change my lifestyle.
    It is not "just" a diet, but it is a long term change. I workout quite every day, so it became my daily "routine", and from the other part, I started to realize what am I eating. I started to learn to cook differently. I have to enjoy what I eat otherwise I know, I will give up.

^^ This.

I have been at my current weight now for about nine months. I fluctuate from 151 to 154, and that's water weight. I have made this my lifestyle, the education I gained teaching myself portions and timing are a part of my eating life now, so it's not and never was a 'diet'. I work out five to six days a week, because working out makes me happy. To stay focused and not get bored, I train in seasons for specific events. Now, in the summer, I run, training for a half marathon. When winter comes, I go indoors and focus on strength and train for Warrior Dashes and an upcoming Tough Mudder. I take Bootcamp, TRX and Piloxing classes for the fitness, camraderie and socialization. I am having the best time of my life, in the best shape of my life.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I too look at this as a change of eating habits and not a diet. Right now I am in the process of finding my maintenance level. What I have been doing is every 2 weeks I increase my calories intake by 100 more a day and I have lost weight by increasing so I am still working on finding my maintenance level. This Friday I will again raise my calorie intake by 100. I have also been learning to cook healthier by using recipies from dashingdish.com and skinneytaste.com because you can have more of a healthy food and feel satisfied and their are some very yummy recipies like the healthy baked chicken nuggets omg those are so good. What I suggest is when you increase your calories do it slowely, so far this is working for me
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that some of it may be water retention. Your body is going to fluctuate up and down a few pounds (not sure how many kgs that translates to), even during maintenance. I don't know how much you exercise while you're maintaining, some people are fortunate enough that they only have to do it three or four times per week to maintain. If you're like me, however, you may have to exercise 5-6 days per week to maintain. Also, I would say six days per week, make sure you eat the same way you do when you are losing (just bump your calories up to maintenance level), and allow yourself only one day each week to "cheat". Meaning, you can eat WHAT you want, just control your portions. Of course, keep weighing every week to closely monitor any gains. It's much easier to lose 5 or 6 pounds than it is to lose 50-100.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Maintenance for me currently is to stay within a weight range while continuing to build muscle and shed body fat (I hope to hit 18% body fat eventually). I am happy with my current weight; I want more muscle.

I lost my excess weight fairly quickly after signing up on MFP. It took me almost three months to figure out *my* ideal calorie intake: I need to net 1500 calories a day. My workout routine has also changed -- cardio is 30-40 minutes of cycling outside on even days (I used to use the stair climber for 60 minutes four to five times a week), upper body strength training takes an hour on odd days, and I rest on Sundays.

As for the mindset about eating right and working out, I am a lot more relaxed and far less intense now. I enjoy this mode a lot more.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just reached my goal and kept doing what I was doing. I'm a little afraid to set my goal to maintenance, so I've reset to 100 calorie per day deficit which would be a little less than a 1 pound loss per month, and I plan to eat my exercise calories. I'll just see how it goes and adjust as needed.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I reached "One-Derland" back in November of 2011, and have maintained weight until just this month.
    I lost 72 lbs.
    It was the second hardest goal I ever sought to accomplish. The MOST challenging goal was keeping the weight off.
    I did it.
    Now, I am seeking to shed 5% body fat, 4 inches from the belly and 15 lbs of weight.
    I simply follow the MFP recommendations with a slight protein increase.
    It's working like a charm.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • Iwannaride
    Options
    Maintenance for a thin person is eating and exercising like you did when you were thin. Maintenance for a fat person is eating like you did when you were fat. If you want to stay thin, eat like a thin person. If you want to eat like a fat person...you will become fat.

Keeping weight off is about recognizing how to eat like a thin person and still enjoy what you eat and how you live. Its a lifestyle change. It is choosing to enjoy only the foods that are good for you (high fiber, low sugar) and set aside (for the most part) the foods that are not so good for you.

When I was growing up, we only got white milk in school, because chocolate milk was for treats only. We had a sandwich and fruit or veggies from home instead of the school lunch. Pizza, eating out, and desserts were for special days only, maybe two or three times a month. I find myself moving back to those thinner days. I walk down the store aisle and see Hostess Apple Pies and become revolted that I will have to skip a whole meal to make up for the calories it will give me. Not only that, I no longer enjoy the taste of them because instead of sweet apples, all I taste is the slimy lard in my mouth. Tastes change over time. Maintaining a thin person diet involves developing a taste for the foods that are good for you.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since February, and have stayed with in 1-3 lbs. I set my calories to my TDEE and don't eat my exercise cals. I workout 5-6 days and week, and as I've started to really focus on lifting heavy, I may have to up my cals. Good luck - you can do it :flowerforyou:
  • biznoche
    biznoche Posts: 43
    Options
    I struggle with this very thing all of the time. I always hated programs that fed you that line of "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." If you have to exercise self control, cut back on your food intake, deprive yourself of certain foods, and force yourself to exercise...anything that is not routine for YOU....ITS A DIET!!! But the a-ha moment came when I realized that those programs may just be feeding you a line...but in the grand scheme of things that should be the ultimate goal. An honest to goodness lifestyle change. Learning how to eat better but still being able to look forward to your meals and not feeling bad for splurging on occasion. If you hate to go to the gym, try different activities that will get you moving until you find one you enjoy doing like skiing or tennis or geocaching or gardening. That's the hard part, trying to incorporate subtle changes into your life that you can easily make permanent. I think the trying to lose weight is the "diet" part. You have to make sacrifices to achieve the goal. Maintainence is the "lifestyle change" part. I don't know how to tell you to achieve this because it's still difficult to figure out and everyone's changes will be different, but hopefully you can find the advice helpful and it gets the wheels turning. It really does all boil down to a mindset. Good luck!
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this very thing all of the time. I always hated programs that fed you that line of "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." If you have to exercise self control, cut back on your food intake, deprive yourself of certain foods, and force yourself to exercise...anything that is not routine for YOU....ITS A DIET!!!

yep, I can completely relate :D Particularly the part of routine, since it is hard to expect that self control/deprivation/and exercise discipline will be a routine (same amount/same motivation) a whole life!
    Learning how to eat better but still being able to look forward to your meals and not feeling bad for splurging on occasion. If you hate to go to the gym, try different activities that will get you moving until you find one you enjoy doing like skiing or tennis or geocaching or gardening. That's the hard part, trying to incorporate subtle changes into your life that you can easily make permanent.

This actually suggested me how important is to get rid of the BLACK AND WHITE mindset that has always been the bottom line in my diets but could not be whatsoever a realistic long term approach. Fortunately I love the gym :)
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is choosing to enjoy only the foods that are good for you (high fiber, low sugar) and set aside (for the most part) the foods that are not so good for you.

Basically, the Know When Say No (and enjoy the benefits) should remain. That's a good point. In the past, I was interested only on the "slip into a size 8" part, of course this does not support long term results. Recently, trying paleo/primal approach, I know that I will no longer (as a habit) eat large amount of white grains and refined sugars. I gain energy, I notice the difference.