Lump on back of neck..

Options
I have it seems like a hump of the back of my neck/back.
It causes me pain and I think it is from being fat and slouching. For the last 3 years I have been trying to stand and sit up straight but now I feel like I have a strange posture.
For example:
My lower back curves inwards and the upper back/neck curves out and it does hurt sometimes. And from where I try to stretch my back so its straight I got back fat too :(

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    hun, make an appointment with a local chiropractor! Chiropractic is wonderful and can help releive pain. Chiropractic care is the reason I can still walk today!!
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    I live in the UK and am a student, can I get it from the doctor or do I have to pay? If so, how much is it?
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Id pop along to the doc, they should give you the info you need.
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    Just booked an appointment for today, thankyou :)
    Is it strange I feel embarassed to go because im fat? :L
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I have lumps all over, for me they are fatty lumps but they should still be checked.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    is it a squishy lump or a solid one? and is it where your neck/spine is? I would try a chiro or a doc for sure, you'll be fine. I'm glad you made an appointment :)
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    I think it is my spine, and it is hard, I can feel the spine (if it is the spine) I'm sure it is.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    hun, make an appointment with a local chiropractor! Chiropractic is wonderful and can help releive pain. Chiropractic care is the reason I can still walk today!!

go to a doctor - this may not be a bone issue and the doctor has more training
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I have what I call a hump on the back of my neck. I have it since I was about 11/12 but I didn't build the courage to go to the doctor until I was 16! He told me I had a slight outward curve on the back of my neck and a slight inward curve on the bottom of my back! He said it was nothing to worry about! Go get it checked out, it will give you peace of mind!
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    Does it not make you feel embarrased? I HATE mine, SOO much.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Yes and no! When I was younger, I was so embarrassed but as I've gotten older I kinda just accept the fact that I have it! I no longer hide it as much! Just embrace it.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    My mom had one when she had to be on steroids for a prolonged period of time and gained a lot of weight. Could be weight related, but I'd see a doctor just to be sure!
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    Ok, so I just got back and he didn't really say anything about it. He had a look and said he was going to send an email to see if I could see a person (something begining with p) I cant remember. He said it could take about 8 weeks- ARGH!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have kyphosis.
    To help alleviate it, learn exercises in the prone position and do a good amount of upper back exercises to strengthen the muscles. This will help to correct your posture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a small hump myself but have acutally improved the size after I've seen a physical therapist. Simple neck and shoulder stretches and I'm not so ashamed of it.

For the lower back I've read that if you sit a lot your pelvic has moved which caused the spine to curve inwards. I have that same issue. But I've noticed after a while of building my back muscles and my shoulder/neck muscles I'm sitting straighter and not looking so much like an "s."

Hang in there :D keep at it and it will go away!
  • LlostInSpace
    Options
    Thankyou everyone! I just googled 'kyphosis' It isnt like that though its quite small but to me it seems bigger.