Question: Am I supposed to consume the calories I am working

Options
amysol
amysol Posts: 83 Member
Question: Am I supposed to consume the calories I am working off?

I am getting mixed information on this. I am supposed to be consuming 1400 calories a day. SO when I work out and burn 680 calories am I supposed to eat 2080 calories for the day? The website leads me to believe so, as does a friend of mine. And I do admit on the days I burn that many calories I am much more hungry so I do eat more. I know making sure you are eating all your calories is an important part to losing weight....

Can someone please help me with this?

Replies

• amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Question: Am I supposed to consume the calories I am working off?

I am getting mixed information on this. I am supposed to be consuming 1400 calories a day. SO when I work out and burn 680 calories am I supposed to eat 2080 calories for the day? The website leads me to believe so, as does a friend of mine. And I do admit on the days I burn that many calories I am much more hungry so I do eat more. I know making sure you are eating all your calories is an important part to losing weight....

Can someone please help me with this?
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    What helps me is to think about it like this:

You're supposed to consume 1400 calories a day, to lose the amount of weight that you want in a week. That 1400 cals is just for doing your regular everyday stuff. It doesn't include exercise. Then when you exercise you burn 680 cals. So really you're burning an aditional 680 cals from the 1400 cals that you're eating, which really makes you consuming 720 cals. We're not supposed to go below 1200 cals in a day. When you eat your exercise calories you're really just getting back up to your 1400 cals so you don't go into starvation mode. Does that make sense?

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, the site will automatically add the calories you burn during exercise to your daily total. I have found putting in my planned exercise first thing helps for two reasons. One then I have to do it cause I put it in! Two when I exercise at night, I will be out of energy for the workout if I don't eat more for lunch than on days with less or no exercise. Plus, I don't think it's good to eat a lot late in the evening. This has helped me a lot because some days I get a 30 min workout and other days I ride my bike for three hours! Previously, I would totally bonk on my bike rides for lack of energy then pig out the whole next day trying to recover.

Hope this helps, keep up the exercise!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    YES, EAT THEM!!!!!
    EAT THEM, EAT THEM, EAT THEM....You earned them.....EAT THEM:flowerforyou:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES!

Imagine you need to eat 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight, so to lose 1 lb a week, you need to eat 1500 calories a day.

Now imagine you work off 600 calories. 900 calories is NOT enough to keep your body going, your metabolism up, etc. Your body will think it is starving, and the weight won't come off as easily.

Go into "tools" and compute your BMR, or the calories that your body needs to fuel your body at complete rest (imagine being in bed all day.) Of course, you need to eat more than your BMR because you do more than laying in bed all day, but at least try not to eat below the BMR.