unsure of some things...

Options
I tried to search the forums but I didn't know exactly how to word what I'm looking for. I know the body requires 1200 cal per day regardless and you're not supposed to go under. My goal cal setting it above 1200 according to this website but I try not to hit the goal it's given me. For some reason today it gave me nearly 1600 and that was before any exercise accumulated.

So my question is say I eat roughly 1200 cal, but then I work out and lose 800 cal....but I'm not hungry, do I force myself to eat calories because my net is under 1200?

I am seeing every day just in the few days I've been on here that I am less and less hungry....Like today with my morning work out I'd burned most of my consumed calories and I've not even done my evening work out yet. Other than maybe an apple or banana for a snack all I have left is dinner. How am I going to make up those calories?

I know seriously a noob question, but I'm at a complete loss....anyone have any ideas?

Oh ya one more question...

I'm drinking protein shakes after work outs and I keep going over my protein goal according to this website....is that really bad????

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me!!! <3

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you need to net 1200 a day. If that means eating back 600 exercise calories to get you there, then thats what you do. Your body needs those 1200 to function properly.

And going over protein is absolutly fine.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm no sure that everybody needs 1200cals a day minimum - that doesn't take into account individual height and weight etc. What if you are really tiny????
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting information on the safety of very low calorie (< 1200 net) diets. In general, they are not harmful on a short term basis, but long term you could damage your metabolism making weight loss more difficult. Personally, I think it's better to eat a little more and lose more slowly because it's makes keeping the weight off more likely. You could also try cycling your calories - eating less for a while, then eating more, less, more, etc. Some people seem to find this more satisfying since some days you get to splurge a little.

As for the protein, if you have no known medical conditions and get regular medical checkups it's unlikely to be harmful to go over on protein. But, if it's been a while since you had a checkup or you have any known medical conditions, especially those that might affect your kidneys (such as Diabetes or other metabolic disorders) you should check with your doctor since eating too much protein can put extra strain on your kidneys.

Just don't try to lose too quickly as it often leads to giving up and gaining back. You didn't put weight on overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight. Fuel your body for your workouts and it will work better.

Good luck to you!
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    People on this site are really divided about eating back your exercise calories. What it comes down to is that you have to find what works for you and your body.

Here's what works for me:
    I've lost 43 pounds in the past several months by NOT eating back my calories, and I'm lookin and feelin pretty good. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1500 calories a day (usually, I typically have one day a week where I eat like 2000 or something like that because of a splurge meal and alcohol). And I burn about 350 calories a day in my workouts (not too bad for someone my height and weight - 5'3", 147 lbs now).

I have plenty of muscle and have gotten stronger, and I haven't gone into "starvation mode." But I can't guarantee that you won't. I would say: eat when you're hungry, and make sure that you get at least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit per day.
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    I would recommend searching for the group "eat more to weigh less" and read all the info that is given. I was only eating 1,200-1,400 cals a day and was never hungry and was also burning between 600-800 a day. I was gaining and losing the same 2lbs for months.

I joined that group and learned that I needed to be eating at least 2,300-2,400 and always net at least my BMR which is 1914. After an initial gain, I'm back to losing weight again. =)
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. I would say listen to your body, if you're not hungry don't force feed yourself! I have a very physically demanding job, and on days I work I find it hard enough to net 500 calories, and netting 1200 is out of the question. But I've been doing this for nearly 2 months, lost over 20 lbs, and never feel tired or low on energy. In fact, I feel great!

Listen to your body
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your body definitely needs all of the proper vitamins and nutrients and without eating enough kcals, it's nearly impossible to make that happen. Even with a multi-vitamin, there are many things that your body needs to absorb through food.

As for protein, there are many takes on this, but if you are going over per MFP, you're probably okay-- just be sure you're getting all of the rest of your nutrients through food-- you can look at most of them via the reports page. If you're short on and of those nutrients, find foods that provide them and add them to your diet.

Be careful of doing too much, too fast-- you don't want your body to fall ill or injured because it couldn't sustain your diet. I tend to be all or nothing too-- but our bodies really do need nourishment and rest from exercise. Be kind to yourself! ;-)
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This explained a lot for me. Maybe it will help you. I eat about 1900 to 2000 calories on days that I burn 600 or 700 calories. On non-work out days or low work out days, I eat 1500 calories. Both keep me at a 1200 net at least. A big calorie booster for me is pistachios and also eggs. Peanut butter helps too. And don't worry about going over on your protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

ETA: It took me 3 weeks to balance out my food and exercise and maintain a 1200 calorie net. I was consistently netting 800 and 900. I did a lot of playing around with food. In the beginning, May 19th, I was 196 lbs. I was gaining and losing the same 2 lbs for 3 weeks and getting highly frustrated. This past week, all the figuring and playing around to get to 1200 net finally paid off. I am down to 189.2 from the beginning of last week.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but, if you are asking what works? I rarely hit my 1200 because of the foods I eat like cabbage soup a couple times a week and other vegetable soups that don't have a lot of calories. I'm not hungry, I learned since April the kinds of foods to eat that make me feel full that have less calories. In my opinion, That is a number and you have to learn how to work it to fit your needs. I burn a lot of calories a day and have never eaten them all back. I feel this is why I have lost 20lbs since April. But I'm not sure if every body will work like that. Trial and Error. To answer your question about protein, I go over everday and I don't feel affected by it, infact I've been building more muscle as I do strengh training. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    oh and as far as the protein goes, don't worry at all about going over. i've read about protein a lot and many sources say that you should be eating about half of your body weight in grams (which is much lower than what MFP says, for me anyway). particularly if you're doing strength training, lots of protein is fine.

I don't personally advocate protein shakes though because I'm an "all natural" person. I would say, try to get your protein from healthy sources like beans, lentils, quinoa, even nuts.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat my 1200 cals a day but I make myself, I really think you must be eating too little and you know what they say about the body going into starvation mode and you'll not lose weight that way. You'll know better after your first weigh in if your losing weight but if you don't lose much I think your gonna have to increase your cals. I know everyone is different and usually I'd say listen to your body, if you feel hungry eat etc and if you don't maybe take some sort of drink, say a protein shake to boost your cals
    All the best with your journey :)
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. I would say listen to your body, if you're not hungry don't force feed yourself! I have a very physically demanding job, and on days I work I find it hard enough to net 500 calories, and netting 1200 is out of the question. But I've been doing this for nearly 2 months, lost over 20 lbs, and never feel tired or low on energy. In fact, I feel great!

Listen to your body

This is how I feel
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind - going over in protein is not necessarily a bad thing. But it will promote muscle growth, and muscle is heavier than fat. You may, therefore see a slower weight loss or even a slight gain. Again, not a bad thing - you will still see progress in lost inches. But it is something to remember so that you don't get discouraged when looking at the scale.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A lot of information there! Thanks guys! I just don't want to fail because I'm not eating enough, ya know? The days I didn't exercise eating wasn't too much of an issue, but for some reason these last two days I'm incorporating exercise and I'm not very hungry.

Like this morning I ate the overnight oatmeal that had yogurt and milk (which I won't do again I didn't like it) with my Green Tea, then lunch I had my protein in water and a salad.

I'm about to cut up and apple and eat it maybe cut up a banana with it just to add back calories.

I don't know about what to do for dinner though other than a salad maybe some scrambled eggs? I don't feel really hungry or anything today at all.

I've also been taking CLA, because that is something I remembered from my young days of going to the gym...I remember being told by a trainer to take that 3x daily. I've only been taking it 2x lately and I'll eventually boost to 3x if need be, I just don't want to over do that either.

Some of you say to listen to my body and not force feed, but others of you say I need to net 1200 regardless. I will try to net I've managed to lately (I think net +) ... just today not really feeling the food...LOL
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think going over your protein is not a big deal. I wouldnt worry about that too much.

I typically eat back *some* of my work out calories. You def need to eat at LEAST your 1200 a day so even if you are not hungry eat those 1200 calories a day so your body has the fuel it needs.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    As for calories, I eat back some. I agree with those that say you should pay attention to what your body is telling you, at least in most respects. If you feel full, don't eat. But you do need to make sure your body is getting all the fuel it needs to stay healthy.

I think that part of it depends on where you are in the "journey", as well. At the beginning, when you have more to lose, you may be able to stick to 1200 calories or a bit less and lose weight. But eventually you will probably find that you stall out, and at that point you'll have to change it up. Increase it to somewhere around 1400, for example. It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes you do need to eat more to lose. As you lose fat and gain muscle, and change your eating habits, your body is going to change. What it needs to function properly will change as well.

Your needs will vary depending on what exercise you choose, as well. For example, some carbs are excellent energy for heavy cardio (bananas, brown rice), while protein is very useful for building muscle while lifting.

There simply is no easy answer. No one size fits all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some of you say to listen to my body and not force feed, but others of you say I need to net 1200 regardless. I will try to net I've managed to lately (I think net +) ... just today not really feeling the food...LOL

How are you fat levels? Do you typically meet the MFP fat goal? Many people tend to eat too low fat when trying to lose weight. If you are low, try adding good healthy vegetable fats to your diet can really raise your calories without adding bulk to your meals.

For example, when you have a salad, do you add fat free dressing? If so, switch to one made with olive oil, or make your own using olive oil (it's super simple). One tablespoon of peanut butter is almost 100 calories. Nuts and seeds are a great snack that adds protein, fiber, health fat and calories to your diet, and they are a great way to add crunch to a salad. Or slice an avacado on your salad. This super food has > 200 calories each and packed with healthy fat and nutrients.

Plus, fat is great for your skin and hair!
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    According to the journal I'm not meeting any goals, other than going way over on protein. So far today I've had 3 grams of fat. Oops! I guess counting calories isn't enough I need to watch my other intakes. I've been trying to make sure I get as much water in as possible and stay in a decent caloric intake. Thank you! I wouldn't have thought. Any recommendations on peanut butter? I'm in Ireland and I just don't know what peanut butter here is good. In America there were so many choices for peanut butter, however here I don't know what brands etc....

As for salad dressing I've not been using any, just regular balsamic vinegar (like the real vinegar not the dressing).

I'm still in the beginning only been doing this since Sunday...so I guess I have a whole lot to learn!!!

I appreciate everyone's answers it really does help!!