Running belt recommendations?

Options
Hey everyone!

I just finished my FIRST 5 mile race on Sunday! It was incredible! But anyways - I just signed up for a 10k on July 4th and I want to do a half marathon this fall. I've been running without anything on me and for the shorter distances that was fine. However, now that I'm planning on increasing my distance - I don't feel comfortable going out "empty handed". I'd like to invest in a running belt. I'm looking for something that will carry some water, gel packs (I don't even know what these are yet -but it seems they are important for long runs haha), my cell phone (in case of emergency) and my ID card.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I'd like something big enough to fit the above - but not something bulky. Also, I'd like something that is comfortable.

Thanks!

- Becky

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I used to have one of the hydration belts that held the water bottle diagonally in the small of my back and had a pouch for cell phone, gels etc. I hated it - the bottle would bounce around and (typical guy....no hips) it always felt like it was going to fall down.

A few months ago I got a FuelBelt (the one with 2 bottles and a Velcro closed pouch) Part of the waist band is elasticized so it stays in place and is infinitely more comfortable than my old belt. I don't buy gel packs any more - I've started making my own, way less expensive and I know what I'm consuming.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have an amphipod. The water bottle that comes with it sits long ways in the lumbar area, very comfortable and stays in place. It has a small pocket where you could put your car key, gels, not sure a phone would fit. Regarding gels, honestly, I just eat swedish fish or jelly beans. They market sports beans which maybe have some electrolytes but candy works the same to some degree. I have run a half marathon with my swedish fish!
  • Rebroland
    Rebroland Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to have one of the hydration belts that held the water bottle diagonally in the small of my back and had a pouch for cell phone, gels etc. I hated it - the bottle would bounce around and (typical guy....no hips) it always felt like it was going to fall down.

A few months ago I got a FuelBelt (the one with 2 bottles and a Velcro closed pouch) Part of the waist band is elasticized so it stays in place and is infinitely more comfortable than my old belt. I don't buy gel packs any more - I've started making my own, way less expensive and I know what I'm consuming.

Thank you for your recommendation! I'll have to check that out. When I was googling there's SO much information out there. I think I would find the water in the small of my back uncomfortable as well.

Side note - how do you make your own gel packs? (what do you put in it?) Also - what distance runs do you use them on and how often do you use them? I'm still VERY new at this. I've been running since January - however, where I haven't ran over 5 miles, I haven't really needed to get into this stuff yet.

Thanks!
  • brookeg20
    brookeg20 Posts: 54
    Options
    Nathan Speed 2 Waistpack with Two 10-Ounce Nutrition Flasks

Got this one about a month and a half ago from amazon, and it has been great. You can wear it with the water bottles in the front or back. I prefer them in the front so they don't interfere with my stride. The water bottles sit in a good place, and they don't slosh around everywhere. There are two pockets. I usually take my phone and some gummy bears for fuel on long runs and they fit without a problem. The larger pocket is also divided and has a clip and an ID tag.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you are in an organised race you dont need to carry anything. In a HM there will be water stations and plenty of assistance if you need it

Training is another matter though as you may be on your own and if training for a HM probably out for more than two hours. You can carry a phone and keys and some money in a pocket, wrap them up to stop them jiggling about.

Water - a small camelbak works, carrying a bottle works - but not great, I have a Platypus bottle - which is soft and easy to hold and can stuff in a waistband when done. Bring some money and buy some en route.

Gels - shouldnt really need em for a HM either but they can provide some comfort just to know you have them. They come in sachets that you tear open and then squeeze out. Put em in a pocket.