Sweet Alternatives

Options
Can anyone recommend some healthy options to satisfy my sweet tooth? I love naturally sweet foods like fruit, but I really LOVE brownies and rich decadent desserts. I want to be able to eat those but I'd rather have a healthy alernative. Any ideas?

Replies

• TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of healthy alternatives to brownies, but you can by reduced calorie cakes etc. Most of the supermarkets do their own brands, and I think weightwatchers do them too
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but Google "black bean brownies."
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make brownies with chocolate protein mix. They definitely don't go with ice cream... but it cures the itch.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    For my sweet tooth I will have some mango and greek yogurt, it's really super sweet and yummy. Sometimes I will eat cinnamon almonds or recently cinnamon somersault's (made from sunflower seeds.) OR... I will just have a small serving of whatever I like. You don't have to cut out all the foods you love, just eat smaller portions and fit it into your macros for the day.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

^Agree! I've had these and they're actually pretty tasty. If you've ever had a Little Debbie's brownie, the texture is almost the same.
  • eashelton87
    eashelton87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chocolate yogurt (Stonyfield Farms Chocolate underground and the Yoplait whips are good) can definitely satisfy a chocolate craving. I also like 90 calorie chocolate chip Quaker Chewy bars. There are a lot of store brand versions of these that are good as well. The 100 calorie Emerald chocolate dusted almonds are also great for a quick treat.
  • mdink620
    mdink620 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dove dark chocolate promises, just a piece or two and really taking the time to enjoy them.
  • tpgriffith
    tpgriffith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you like greek yogurt....plain greek yogurt (6 oz), 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1 tbsp of honey. It is about 175 calories and delicious!! also, you can get stuff to make chocolate covered frozen bananas (I find it in the produce section in a box) Half a chocolate dipped banana is 90 calories and the consistency is almost exactly like ice cream. Yasso frozen greek yogurt popsicles are good too and only 70 calories.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    In australia we have some amazing Nestle desserts - Nestle Soleil i think its spelt

chocolate mousse, creme caramel and lemon cheesecake are all around about 80 calories per tub. and about 110 for a dark chocolate dessert

they are so yummy its hard to believe there are so little cals... hope you can get them where you are! (or an equivalent!)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    this is really going to sound insane but carrots... if you start eating them after lunch or a meal when you get the sweet tooth eventually that's what solves the sweetness craving... i never would have believed it but now when i want something sweet, carrots will do the trick most times.. (the baby carrots). As for the other stuff i've started eating "half" a cookie..."half" a brownie... "ONE" spoonful of ice cream.
    Try the carrots though, you might find they just take the "sweet" craving away (trust me if you told me that a year ago i would have scoffed and said it was nuts)
  • tpgriffith
    tpgriffith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh and I really don't advocate drinking fiet drinks but I hear you can make brownies with diet coke and they taste delicious and are very low calorie!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There are lots of recipes out there for healthy brownies. I also like the Think Thin bars which have no sugar.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like cocoa roast almonds. They have the sweet chocolate dusting on the outside to satisfy a sweet/chocolate craving but are relatively low in sugar and, since they are almonds, packed with protein, fiber and nutrients and very filling. I have a handful almost every night after dinner for dessert.

ETA: cinnamon roast almonds are really good too!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A small square of very good, very dark (70-80%) chocolate does the trick for me. I nibble very slowly and let each bite dissolve in my mouth so I can really enjoy the flavor.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I love this brownie recipe:
    http://www.equal.com/recipes/search/double-chocolate-brownies
    I put in less butter (it doesn't need that much) and make SMALL brownie bites (at least half the size) so they are only like 30 calories per piece. One or two satisfies my craving :D
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

These are great! A piece of advice: rinse the beans really, really well. Otherwise, the brownies end up with a farty smell. They taste fine but smell like farts.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello.
    eat dark dark chocolate.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My go to is dipping apples apples in peanut butter. I also just bought some Blue Almond butter toffee flavor 24/160 cal with 5g of protien, I haven't tried them yet. And every night I save enough calories to have a Skinny Cow mint ice sandwich.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    oh my lord, i love the cocoa roast almonds too.