Elliptical trainer

Options
babycook
babycook Posts: 172 Member
I usually do my cardio on the treadmill. I'd like to try the elliptical trainer. I'm not sure how to do it and the prospect of figuring it out on my own is causing me anxiety. Do I just get on and press quick start like the treadmill? Or will that program it into going too fast and I can't keep up. (My cardio sucks). Would I be better off doing manual and following the prompts?

Replies

• shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is a self propelled machine. Usually if you just hop on and start doing it it will pop up in a "quick start" type mode where it's set at the lowest setting and you control speed. You can add your weight and age by pushing the options button, if you like to do that. You can also increase resistance, and some will even change the steepness, manually. The buttons for that look different for different machines, but it's not usually difficult to figure out.
  • dovetail_27
    dovetail_27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's a bit difficult to give advice on something like this, because every machine is different; the Quick Start button on my elliptical just starts an open-ended manual program but that may not be true for the elliptical you decide to use.

If you are unfamiliar with the machine, I would recommend starting with the manual program. This should allow you to set a workout time (or it may leave it open-ended, like mine, and you would just stop when you reach your workout goal) and you should also be able to manually adjust the incline and resistance throughout your workout, until you find what is comfortable for you.

If you're using an elliptical at a public place, like a gym, you can also flag down one of the trainers and ask them what each program does. In any case, there's no harm in playing around with the buttons until you find something that suits you!

Good luck!
  • eashelton87
    eashelton87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just hopping on and moving your feet is the first step. You can use 'Quick Start', but there are many other options and settings. This article will give you a breakdown of what each setting can be used for:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556755-cardio-101-how-to-use-the-elliptical-for-fat-loss/
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I would definitely ask someone at the gym to go over it with you. It's a great machine and can do alot for you but it's always better to have someone show you in person.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with asking one of the gym attendance to go over the machine with you and the different settings. Any time I get on a new machine, I ask them if I need to understand it a little better. They are always happy to explain it to me (well, maybe the occasional lazy college kid makes a frowny face but they do it anyways because that's what they are being paid to do lol)

For the most part, I just use the quick settings if I'm not going to be on it long, such as on a strength training day when I'm just using it as a warm up. If I'm going to be on it for my cardio, then I take the time to set up the program and level I am comfortable with (start with one and if it's too easy, add another level until you are working to keep yourself moving). I really like the hills on the elliptical.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like to select "cardio" and it lets me input my info, plus my target heart rate. Then the machine automatically adjusts to make me work as hard as needed to achieve that HR. If I go slow, it has more resistance. Faster, less resistance.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    an elliptical only works when you are moving, so you dont have to be afraid of not being able to keep up. I would recommend choosing a fat burning or calorie burning program if it is offered on your elliptical...the reason for this is because it will ask you to put in your weight and be able to provide a calories burned number. Alot of times, manual or quick start doesnt do that. Also, programs will adjust the intensity, not the speed but the resistance.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As others have said, crosstrainers won't start until you do :) Personally speaking, I use a manual programme and do intervals for an hour (low resistance sprints followed by highest resistance climbs), but it's all about personal preference. No harm in asking a gym attendant, they may show you something that suits you perfectly.
  • My gym has several different models, one which still leaves me feeling like a jerky puppet and another I absolutely love. Definitely, ask one of the gym personnel for help :)