One rep max

Options
What is the most effective way to increase your one rep max?

Basically what I do is 3-4 sets, the first set I’ll do 10-12 reps, then increase weight and do 8-10 reps, increase weight do 5-6 reps, increase weight (which ends up being my max) and doing 1-3 reps.

I’m just wondering if by doing this I’m burning out my muscles before my last set of the heaviest weight I can do. On days I do max workouts should I do very minimal weights high reps to warm up and only do one set of my max? If I do this will I still get a good complete weight training work out? I’m lost :huh: What does everyone else do??

BTW I’m working on my one rep max cause there is this “1,000 Pound Club” at my gym. You have to complete 3 lifts totaling 1,000 lbs or for females 400 pounds. You get your name on a plaque and a T-shirt. I know pretty lame, but there is only one girl who has done it and I want to be number two :bigsmile:

Replies

• SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1. What muscle group are you working....legs, back, arms, chest?
    2. What you have at the moment is a strip set, and is not the best method to increase your max for one rep....
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Try a program like Starting Strength.
    in about 2 months (with 0 previous weight lifting experience) my wife does 370lbs total on the lifts mentioned for your 400lb plaque. She should hit 400lbs in a week or two.
    (I'm assuming the 3 lifts are: Squat, bench, deadlift.)

It's a 3x5 program (1x5 for deadlift)
    For example, squats. You squat every workout, and add 5-10lbs to the bar every workout.

Bench, overhead press, power clean, and deadlift are done on alternating days.
    Add 5lbs to each, every workout. 3x5. DL might tolerate +10-+15lbs

A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

b:
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Power Clean (May do pendlay rows. Stronglifts is 5x5, and rows.)
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1. What muscle group are you working....legs, back, arms, chest?
    2. What you have at the moment is a strip set, and is not the best method to increase your max for one rep....

Bench
    Squat
    Deadlift

Never hear of a strip set, hmmm good to know it has a name. My overall strength has increased doing this but not my max.
  • wellbert
    Options
    What is the current max weight you do on squat/bench/deadlift and how long have you been doing it?
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    Try a program like Starting Strength.
    in about 2 months (with 0 previous weight lifting experience) my wife does 370lbs total on the lifts mentioned for your 400lb plaque. She should hit 400lbs in a week or two.
    (I'm assuming the 3 lifts are: Squat, bench, deadlift.)

It's a 3x5 program (1x5 for deadlift)
    For example, squats. You squat every workout, and add 5-10lbs to the bar every workout.

Bench, overhead press, power clean, and deadlift are done on alternating days.
    Add 5lbs to each, every workout. 3x5. DL might tolerate +10-+15lbs

A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

b:
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Power Clean (May do pendlay rows. Stronglifts is 5x5, and rows.)

Wow, that's awesome your wife is having such great success!!! Is that program an app/book/online?? I'll check into it. I've been hesitant to start a program because I don't like following structured workouts, (I don't know why, I'm just stubborn like that) but I'm thinking maybe that's the way to go to get the results/strength I want ...
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    What is the current max weight you do on squat/bench/deadlift and how long have you been doing it?

Deadlift - 80lbs (just started doing them about a month ago
    Squat - hit 105 yesterday
    bench - 85 (I think I could probably do 95 but I don't have a spotter so I haven't tried.)

I've been doing squats and bench for about 3 months.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    try RPT.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    BTW I’m working on my one rep max cause there is this “1,000 Pound Club” at my gym. You have to complete 3 lifts totaling 1,000 lbs or for females 400 pounds. You get your name on a plaque and a T-shirt. I know pretty lame, but there is only one girl who has done it and I want to be number two :bigsmile:

Perhaps you meant Awesome instead of lame? :D I think that's a great goal and I'm actually quite jealous of your gym now.

I'd check out Starting Strength and Stronglifts just to get your numbers up there. Your max will increase as you go- once you get high enough you can switch to a 5/3/1 and a plan with more defined meso cycles will help increase you max too.

Bad news- you're looking at structured plans. Good news- they have a proven track record.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The best way is to gain a bunch of weight which will increase muscle.
    Just be careful.
    When you're in a state of weight loss, increasing strength and 1 rep max are opposing goals unless you're taking testosterone which is also good for your beard...:wink:
  • wellbert
    Options

bench - 85 (I think I could probably do 95 but I don't have a spotter so I haven't tried.)

It's a book. You can also check out stronglifts - a website.
    Your DL should definitely be higher than your squat, you should be able to add some pretty significant weight to that.

My wife has added about 10lbs to her squat every week on average. She hit 130 the other day. She has been eating in a calorie deficit this entire time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Powerlifters work on one rep maxes by training that way. Rarely do I see a powerlifter do more than 5 reps total. They do a lot of "negatives", lots of band training (attaching lifting bands to the bar to increase tension on concentric movement), and rest ALOT between sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just be careful.
    When you're in a state of weight loss, increasing strength and 1 rep max are opposing goals unless you're taking testosterone which is also good for your beard...:wink:

Utter nonsense. Strength and muscle mass are only tangentially related. The vast majority of strength increases are due to technique improvement and neural factors (especially at the novice stage)
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options

Your DL should definitely be higher than your squat, you should be able to add some pretty significant weight to that.

My wife has added about 10lbs to her squat every week on average. She hit 130 the other day. She has been eating in a calorie deficit this entire time.

If your wife is on MFP and doesn't mind you friend pimping her, have her become my MFP bud, I would love to get some insight and motivation from her :smile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Just be careful.

Utter nonsense. Strength and muscle mass are only tangentially related. The vast majority of strength increases are due to technique improvement and neural factors (especially at the novice stage)
    Maybe that's my problem.
    I reached a wall where opposing forces met. I was losing strength after dropping 50 lbs, and after another 22, I lost additional vigor. I always trained - even fat. I have reached a point where I must choose strength over bodyfat or vice versie...lol
    MAybe it's different for those just starting out.
    Good point!
  • wellbert
    Options

If your wife is on MFP and doesn't mind you friend pimping her, have her become my MFP bud, I would love to get some insight and motivation from her :smile:

She is on as Countdown321
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Found this site as a pretty decent rating table for your rating based on your weight.

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

That's a good way to judge yourself against your weight class, not against everyone else. For example, even though my numbers for the classic 3 are good (gonna try to hit the big 1000 lb mark next week!), it's Novice to Intermediate for my weight. I'm personally hoping to reach Advanced level on all my lifts before the end of the year.
  • GeneveSparkles
    Options
    So I was just about to buy Starting Strength (3rd edition) on Amazon and it's $30, WTH!!! That just seems expensive for a book. However, the second edition is only $15, anyone think I'm selling myself short by going with that one???
  • wellbert
    Options
    Get the e-book version. It's $9.99

90% of the book is explaining how to do a proper deadlift/squat/bench/press/power clean.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Found this site as a pretty decent rating table for your rating based on your weight.

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

That's a good way to judge yourself against your weight class, not against everyone else. For example, even though my numbers for the classic 3 are good (gonna try to hit the big 1000 lb mark next week!), it's Novice to Intermediate for my weight. I'm personally hoping to reach Advanced level on all my lifts before the end of the year.

That chart is pretty awesome!

I know one good way to increase your single lift strength, is to do some half exercises... Like deadlifts off the bottom rack so that you range of motion is less... or half squats. Part of the Strenth Phase of New Rules of Lifting adds this in for some gains.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is free and almost identical...just go to the website, read about it, download a spreadsheet if you like excel, or just use a notebook...easy peasy!

There's a group here that is awesome:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

the sticky topics there explain the program in plainer english than he does on the website.