Girls lift Weights TOO!

Options
dulceluva
dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
Many women fear resistance training, believing that it will add bulk to their physique and make them appear masculine. Even those who realise it is an important part of an exercise regime may still feel apprehensive about approaching weights. It could be the very large, scantily clad men huffing and puffing in the weight area - or it could simply be that you have no idea where to begin or what to do!

We are here to help you understand why you need to lift weights, how to begin and how to progress with your workouts.

The Science Bit

The rate at which our body burns calories is known as our metabolic rate. This rate can be affected by many factors, one of which is the amount of lean muscle tissue your body contains. Every pound of muscle in the body burns 5-10Kcal (American College of Sports Medicine) for muscle maintenance. But as we age, we naturally lose muscle tissue, and therefore our resting metabolism (the amount of calories your body burns to keep all systems going day in and out) decreases by 2-5% per decade. So if you don’t take preventative measures, you will see your body become heavier and ‘flabbier’ as you age.

More Reasons to Get Lifting!

So we have established a need to resistance train – we need to prevent our body losing muscle mass in order to keep our metabolism high. But there are other gains to be made! Resistance training can offer some help in the fight against osteoporosis – the stress of the muscle pulling against the bone helps with building bone density. Weight lifting can also help balance your appearance – for example, by building some definition into your shoulders, you can balance out wide hips making your silhouette appear slimmer. You will also have more general strength to carry out your daily activities.

The Next Step

So how do you begin a weight training regime? Firstly, as a complete beginner you will need to pre-condition your body. That means give your body a period of gentle training with light weights in order for it to ‘acclimatise’.

The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) has recently updated its guidelines for health and fitness and now recommends 8–10 strength training exercises, 8–12 repetitions of each exercise, twice a week.

Below, I list 5 basic exercises which can be done at home…

The Squat - Bottom & Thighs

Stand with feet hip width apart, hands on your hips and back straight.

Bend your knees to 90 degrees, leaning your body forward. Keep your knees in line with your feet and heels down.

Push back up to the start position and repeat.

The Lunge - Bottom & Thighs

Stand with one foot a stride's length in front of the other, hips forward and arms by your side.
Keep your back straight as you bend your knees to bring your front knee over your front foot.
Return to the start position and repeat – hold weights for extra resistance.

Basic Ab Crunch - Abdominals

Lie on your back with knees bent, feet on the floor and hands behind your ears.

Exhale to slowly curl your shoulders forward towards your knees.

Inhale to slowly lower. Keep abs tight throughout and lower back on the floor.

Tricep Dip – Back of the Arm

Find a sturdy bench or chair, and place your hands on the edge. Your back is straight and close to the chair and your knees bent to a right angle.

Slowly lower your bottom down until your arms form a right angle and push back up until the arms are almost straight.

Press Up – Chest, Shoulders, Arms

Place your hands under your shoulders (or slightly wider to work the chest more). Beginners keep knees on the mat, more advanced exercisers keep knees up and body in a straight line with your weight on your toes.

Bend your arms to lower your body, ensuring you keep your abs pulled in and your spine straight.
Exhale to push back up to the start position.

All of the above are excellent resistance exercises which use your own body weight for the resistance. If you have a gym nearby, you will find many machines and free weights that you can use to add more variety. Ask a gym instructor for help before you try something new.

With resistance training quality is more important than quantity, and you should perform good quality repetitions with a weight heavy enough to tire your muscle by the end of your session. And don’t worry – you will not end up looking like a big, bulky man! It is not easy for women to build large muscles as we do not have the necessary hormones.

Follow a simple regime at least twice a week (avoiding working the same muscle on two consecutive days) combined with some cardiovascular exercise and, of course, stick to your healthy Weight Watchers food plan, and you will be on your way to a slimmer, trimmer, stronger you!

Replies

• dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Many women fear resistance training, believing that it will add bulk to their physique and make them appear masculine. Even those who realise it is an important part of an exercise regime may still feel apprehensive about approaching weights. It could be the very large, scantily clad men huffing and puffing in the weight area - or it could simply be that you have no idea where to begin or what to do!

We are here to help you understand why you need to lift weights, how to begin and how to progress with your workouts.

The Science Bit

The rate at which our body burns calories is known as our metabolic rate. This rate can be affected by many factors, one of which is the amount of lean muscle tissue your body contains. Every pound of muscle in the body burns 5-10Kcal (American College of Sports Medicine) for muscle maintenance. But as we age, we naturally lose muscle tissue, and therefore our resting metabolism (the amount of calories your body burns to keep all systems going day in and out) decreases by 2-5% per decade. So if you don’t take preventative measures, you will see your body become heavier and ‘flabbier’ as you age.

More Reasons to Get Lifting!

So we have established a need to resistance train – we need to prevent our body losing muscle mass in order to keep our metabolism high. But there are other gains to be made! Resistance training can offer some help in the fight against osteoporosis – the stress of the muscle pulling against the bone helps with building bone density. Weight lifting can also help balance your appearance – for example, by building some definition into your shoulders, you can balance out wide hips making your silhouette appear slimmer. You will also have more general strength to carry out your daily activities.

The Next Step

So how do you begin a weight training regime? Firstly, as a complete beginner you will need to pre-condition your body. That means give your body a period of gentle training with light weights in order for it to ‘acclimatise’.

The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) has recently updated its guidelines for health and fitness and now recommends 8–10 strength training exercises, 8–12 repetitions of each exercise, twice a week.

Below, I list 5 basic exercises which can be done at home…

The Squat - Bottom & Thighs

Stand with feet hip width apart, hands on your hips and back straight.

Bend your knees to 90 degrees, leaning your body forward. Keep your knees in line with your feet and heels down.

Push back up to the start position and repeat.

The Lunge - Bottom & Thighs

Stand with one foot a stride's length in front of the other, hips forward and arms by your side.
    Keep your back straight as you bend your knees to bring your front knee over your front foot.
    Return to the start position and repeat – hold weights for extra resistance.

Basic Ab Crunch - Abdominals

Lie on your back with knees bent, feet on the floor and hands behind your ears.

Exhale to slowly curl your shoulders forward towards your knees.

Inhale to slowly lower. Keep abs tight throughout and lower back on the floor.

Tricep Dip – Back of the Arm

Find a sturdy bench or chair, and place your hands on the edge. Your back is straight and close to the chair and your knees bent to a right angle.

Slowly lower your bottom down until your arms form a right angle and push back up until the arms are almost straight.

Press Up – Chest, Shoulders, Arms

Place your hands under your shoulders (or slightly wider to work the chest more). Beginners keep knees on the mat, more advanced exercisers keep knees up and body in a straight line with your weight on your toes.

Bend your arms to lower your body, ensuring you keep your abs pulled in and your spine straight.
    Exhale to push back up to the start position.

All of the above are excellent resistance exercises which use your own body weight for the resistance. If you have a gym nearby, you will find many machines and free weights that you can use to add more variety. Ask a gym instructor for help before you try something new.

With resistance training quality is more important than quantity, and you should perform good quality repetitions with a weight heavy enough to tire your muscle by the end of your session. And don’t worry – you will not end up looking like a big, bulky man! It is not easy for women to build large muscles as we do not have the necessary hormones.

Follow a simple regime at least twice a week (avoiding working the same muscle on two consecutive days) combined with some cardiovascular exercise and, of course, stick to your healthy Weight Watchers food plan, and you will be on your way to a slimmer, trimmer, stronger you!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Good info - thanks!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Great info!!! Kudos to you.

As a female powerlifter, I fun across many women who say that they don't want to start a resistant program because they don't want to look like a "guy" or they don't want to "bulk up". You are right, dulceluva, in saying that we don't have the hormonal makeup to get bulky without additional substance "steroids &/or hormones". I have been lifting weights for almost 30 years, and have competed in world class powerlifting naturally. People would never guess it if I didn't tell them. I am not bulky, I do have large muscular legs from it, but that's my genetic makeup, I would have large legs whether I lift weights or not.

The other great reason for resistant training is bone density. It will keep us from Osteoporosis as we age. It's the easiest and best way to fight osteoporosis.
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I found a great book called "Strength Training for Women" by Joan Pagano. It deals with issues specific to women of various age groups and addresses issues like osteoperosis, improving posture and training if you are starting out being very out of shape (that's what I needed!)

I'm new to weight training, but I am now 9 weeks in and very much enjoying it - and I'm feeling stronger. It's a very visual book and has a great anatomy chart for muscles that is very straight forward.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    What I like about my command (i am in the military lol) is we usually do about 10-25 minutes of training like you just gave and even some leg lifts, mountain climbers, scissor kicks, planks etc....and then we go for a 2-5 mile run its a challenging and great workout! I love it!

Thanks for the info
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    Growing up my dad was a strength trainer for a football team and as a result I have always lifted. I did squats and bench before I learned to put on make-up. I love lifting! There is something about lifting that is empowering. Perhaps, it’s the occasional war cry shouted between the final reps or maybe it’s the feeling of “I can kick anyone’s *kitten*” for three minutes straight. Lately, I have found that I have been working more on machines than in the “meat market”. I am so tired of men sitting around starring at themselves in front of the free weights. I am not nervous or embarrassed about being a female and lifting I am put off by the twenty something men who stand, waiting for someone to come take their picture. Anyway, I think this is a great post and it reminded me that I need to go back to the market and get my lift on!