help with cravings

Options
Hello everyone. Just looking for some advice on how to deal with cravings. I work in an office and have to be sitting at my desk for the bulk of my day. On my breaks I try to go for a 15 or 20 minute walk a couple times a day to help me stay active and distracted. Different times of the month, stress, boredom, all that stuff brings on different cravings. I understand total denial of the things I crave is not good but I also don't want my healthy eating routine completely sabotaged. Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• Ratherbebikin52
    Options
    Hello there! I"m at a desk job as well, and get am a bored eater. Well today is only my 3rd day on my program, but what I did yesterday did help me. Each time I wanted something I couldn't have, I would tell myself....Just think how long you've gone eating the right foods and not drinking pepsi ( which is my worst thing) . Do you really want to fail again?? I wous say "not I don't"
    Hope this helps.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like to munch on soy nuts or pumpkin seeds ALL DAY. Plus I make a game out of drinking an obscene amount of water so the trips to the fountain and bathroom keep me occupied (very dull desk job lol). And as long as I eat enough calories (around 1700 right now) and balance my macros I honestly don't crave the junk that is constantly floating around.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Try to find healthier alternatives to satisfy your cravings -

Dying for chocolate? Have one square of dark chocolate, or make hot cocoa with almond milk (or regular milk), cocoa powder, and stevia or (if you can afford the calories) honey.

Have the munchies/crunchies? Air pop some popcorn and munch on it plain (here's a tip if you don't have an air popper - put 2 tbs popcorn kernels in a paper lunch sack, fold over the top twice, and microwave for 2 minutes) or munch on some carrots or another crunchy vegetable.

If you really *must* have the unhealthy treat, just fit it into your goal by making otherwise healthier choices and/or getting some extra exercise.

Denying yourself the things you love is not sustainable. If you want to lose weight and get healthy for a lifetime, you have to be able to incorporate things you love into your lifestyle.
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    Here's a tip if you don't have an air popper - put 2 tbs popcorn kernels in a paper lunch sack, fold over the top twice, and microwave for 2 minutes

Genius. I have never heard of this. I'm certainly going to try it!!!
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    someone already mentioned soy nuts or pumpkin seeds

almonds are great!
    if you can have veggies or fruits at your desk that would be great too

that way if you do have to munch it will be healthy and will take your body that much longer to digest

someone else also mentioned the water...

that is a MUST
    drink lost of water
    that will help keep you fuller

most of the time when we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty

hope this helps you out

I actually carry an apple in my purse at all times and have those portable cooling bags to put in my veggies/fruits to take with me along with my almonds/seeds to I don't have to worry about wanting to cruise through a drive through

Good luck...
    PS
    I would love a friend req
    to help you out along the way