Natural Supplements for Energy...

Options
I've been taking vita fusion (b-12 vitamins) for a while now. I am exhausted all the time, no matter what I do!! Does anyone know of any other natural supplements that help boost your energy? Any advice would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You could be low on iron.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Caffeine...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Green tea or black tea has caffeine and antioxidants for a pick me up.
  • MandaMarie2010
    Options
    I will look into the iron and see about that. And I am a caffeine fantatic!!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree with being low on iron - try eating high iron foods (like sardines, spinach, kale, cereal) and then supplement with things like chia seeds in oatmeal or flax seeds in smoothies.

Also, make sure you are eating consistently throughout the day and drinking enough water. Things high in sugar (like apples) should be balanced out so you aren't crashing.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Consider getting your iron and vitamin D level checked. I was the same way, always tired (even though I take my thyroid meds and those tests are normal). After blood work from my yearly checkup, the doc said I was severly deficient in vitamin D (I live in Seattle). She started me on 50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Try some Coconut Water. Helps with energy.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Eating enough?

Sleeping well?

maybe iron?

Exercising 2 much? or 2 little, ex will give you energy.

or on any meds, that will make tired?

I take daily supplement +b's and fish oil. also coffee and food for fuel:-)

Good luck:-)
  • kramerhaus6
    kramerhaus6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    have your thyroid levels tested too!!! I take a packet of vitamins from Women to Women which have really helped by energy level!
    you can check em out online
    hope that helps!!!
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    thyroid level should def be checked, i had the same problem and am in meds...so far I do see a dif :wink:

good luck!
  • TheRUBENone
    TheRUBENone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    if your that tired then alot can be going on. maybe blood work is needed to tell exactly whats going on. could be a hand full of things that it could be. could be low iron, low vitamin d, not enough water, not enough protein or carbs to keep you sustained through out the day. b-12 is great but not always the answer to feeling a nice jolt of energy through out the day. i had gastric bypass surgery back in dec 2010 & have lost 270 pounds so i know alot about vitamin deficiencies & what not. sounds like there may be some of that going on. sorry i couldnt offer any other advice, maybe if i know a little more about your diet i could make more sugestions. good luck.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    and vitamin D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work to see if anything else can be going on? I just think if something is bothering you enough to ask MFP, maybe it's time to ask a professional.
  • TheRUBENone
    TheRUBENone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    iliana has a point. i too have thyroid issues & can sometimes make me feel a little down when its not on point. could be that as well.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    get a physical/blood tests before you supplement.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is cocain consiered natural?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Caffiend and food. Good food.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Your body can't actually absorb B12 in pill form. If you are not getting an injection from the Dr., you should be taking it as a sublngual tab (under the tongue)

You've been given lots of great advice for other stuff to check out as well.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Is cocain consiered natural?

haha, sure, it comes from plants, right?:wink:

I'm in the vitamin D camp. I also live around Seattle, and my Vitamin D level was quite low. My Dr. suggested I take 2000 iu/day and it made a big difference in my energy levels.

I would still talk to your doctor anyways, since there are lots of deficencies that can cause you to be dragging and low on energy. That's just my personal experience. Hope you get to feeling perkier soon. :)
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sooo many different possibilities!
    I vote that you definitely get some bloodwork, but some other thoughts:

-Is the B-12 you're taking just a pill/capsule? A lot of the reason we end up B-12 deficient is because our bodies don't process it correctly from our foods, and for those of us with that problem, taking a pill doesn't work either. Try using the sublingual B-12, or ask your doctor for B-12 shots.

-I would also try more protein, spread out throughout the day, and especially before and after a workout. There are lots of great low-calorie low fat or fat free protein choices (hummus and veggies, greek yogurt, lean fish or chicken, etc... ). I have an herbalife protein drink that I mix up and drink right before a workout, it's not milky, more like crystal light, and I definitely notice a difference if I don't have it. After workouts is usually dinnertime for me, which always includes a healthy protein, but on the weekends when I work out earlier, I make sure to have something like greek yogurt and fruit.

(Of course I'm saying all this on the day I had a Krispy Kreme donut for breakfast! :ohwell: )

ETA: Have you recently cut out or reduced caffeine as part of your diet plan? I tried that for the first couple weeks and I thought I was going to DIE, I was soooososososo tired!