Swimmers! I suck!

Options
Running is my numero uno for cardio, and I decided to incorporate swimming in as some cross training. I've been told it will help increase my lung capacity and help with my breathing for running, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Eventually, I'd love to compete in triathlons...but...good gracious I suck at swimming.

My "technique" is decent (freestyle and breaststroke are what I stick to), I suppose, considering the extent of my training is 5th grade swim team and watching Michael Phelps on TV, but I get SO out of breath. I feel like such a douche swimming laps at the gym next to these super fit swimmers that have obviously competed at some higher level, doing their little kick flip things at the end of each lap to glide flawlessly into the next....while I stop and try to catch my breath before attempting another lap.

Any helpful tips? Or is it just like anything else: stick with it, you'll get better eventually?

Replies

• GermanicKnight
    Options
    I was a swimmer in high school, then about 2 years ago (I am 36) I started swimming again and realized how bad I had gotten. I could only do 5 laps before I was DEAD TIRED. So then I started just timing myself, not worrying about laps. Day one, I did freestyle for 5min. Day 2 5min 30sec. I kept increasing my 30 seconds each day. I never pushed myself to go over my daily goal, even if I was not tired. I built up to do 30mins of freestyle (at a moderate pace).
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ^like what he said go by time not laps. When you haven't swam in a while or are just starting you're going to have to build up...just like running. Im a swimmer but cant do that little flip at the end. I would almost drown myself trying to learn lol and it took away from my workout altogether. I just catch the edge and turn around. But yeah my advice would be the same as the first guy.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    This is some great advice - and I can't wait to read some more helpful hints.

I have been thinking of taking up swimming as well to assist with my running! :)
  • pseusie
    pseusie Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with the advice of bumping your time up just a little bit each swim. When I first got back in the pool after a few years off, I could barely do 250 yards. But each time I go to the pool, I try to swim one more lap than I did the last time. And your stamina will go up faster than you think!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Your body will adapt. You will build more endurance and your lungs will eventually cooperate. I didn't start out as a long-distance swimmer, but that's where I ended up. Thanks to many, many hours in the pool. You can do it :)
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend mixing it up too- you don't have to swim for 30 minutes straight. Find workouts that have warm-ups and different lengths throughout. It's a lot more interesting, helps just as much with stamina, and it's not as boring as swimming straight. Speedo Pace Club has a great 12-week program, or you can google search "swim workouts" and find a bunch there too.
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Find a Master's swimming program in your area and sign up. You will get some coaching, and they have programs for people of all abilities.

I did a Master's program several years ago and went from thinking I was going to drown to swimming over a mile during a workout. I even learned how to do a flip turn!

Just google US Masters Swimming.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread (but since we're on the topic of swimming), does anyone else have breathing problems while in the pool? Not related to exertion or anything--I mean, as soon as my torso is submerged in water, it becomes harder to breathe. It makes swimming not just difficult but very unpleasant/frustrating, because I have to actually lift my body out of the water to take deep breaths. Does this sound similar to anyone else's experience, or is it just me?
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start with doing sets of 25s (1 length) and 50s (2 lengths) on a pace-time and as you get used to the breathing style, increase the distance.

So like,

10x25 on 50seconds*
    10x50 on 1m
    8x100 on 2min, etc.

*Just an example, go whatever pace is comfortable for you, but make sure it's not /too/ easy.

Also try doing some 25s no breath at the end of your workouts (either underwater or swimming).:drinker:
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner who cannot swim. I had my swimmer pal give me lessons when I was training for a tri last year (I ended up not doing the tri due to injury). I looked like a drowning cat and he glided through the water like fish. My gym has a pool, maybe I should try again but not pressure myself.

I have an issue with the chlorine, though. Wish we had a salt pool!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back into shape. I used to swim competitively as a kid through HS, and now my lung capacity is shot. All I am doing is adding more at a time. I do some timed laps and some slow. I am trying to change it up and have found it is working for me, so maybe it might for you?
  • jlw091
    jlw091 Posts: 2
    Options
    I swam my whole life from the time I was young and throughout college.

Swimming is not easy at all, but you should start of slow and work at it until you can pick up the pace. If you can, the best way for you to increase your lung and heart health to become a stronger runner is to swim using a technique where you breathe every 3, 5, 7, and 9. Try starting out with one lap where you take a breath every three strokes, then a lap where you take a breath every 5 strokes, and so on. This will really help build your heart and lungs along with your stamina to make you go faster and longer!
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Slow your stroke down.. try to lengthen your body and your reach with your arms. Be sure to fully inhale/exhale while breathing. You will get tired very quickly taking shallow breaths every two strokes or so. Just find a comfortable rhythm and don't worry about speed. You can also improve your lung capacity with exercises.

It sounds like a childhood game but try it a few times at the end of your swims. Push off the wall and swim under water as far as you can with one breath. Try to increase the distance each time.

I am not an expert but my sister was a swim coach for a long time. I was doing lifeguard training and preparing for the swim test and she had me doing some of this stuff..
  • lizzz38
    lizzz38 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love swimming. I am 51 years old, and for the past 6 years, this is #7, I have accomplished the 25 mile club at our local pool. We have from pool opening mid-May until closing in Sept. to complete the 880 laps. No kickboards or other assitive devices allowed. I've learned to just pace myself, and I generally do 35-40 laps per swim. I am no athlete, but I have the endurance to keep going- freestyle and breast stroke with an occasional backstroke for a break. The key for me is not to stop at all. After about 18-20 laps, it all seems to just fall into place and I hit a rhythm. All of a sudden I am coordinated and plowing through the water. Swimmers seem to be naturally competitive, but I've tried to tell myself that there's just NO WAY I'm going to keep up with someone much younger than me. But I can keep at it for a long time. I just have to tell myself that I'm in it for ME, and I don't even know them. Once I was swimming beside a virtual motorboat. We were sharing a lane, and every time I saw her coming, I had to really dig in to keep from getting washed into the next lane! When we both stopped at the same end, she politely asked if it was OK to share my lane. She was Sue Walsh, a former Olympic swimmer! No wonder I felt like I was in a different league! (And nice of her to inquire, by the way.) So set yourself a goal: 10 laps or 20 or whatever. Stick to that plan and stop when you reach it. Next swim evaluate whether you want to shoot for higher or not. Hang in there. It's not an automatic thing but maybe after several laps, you'll suddenly hit your rhythm, too. Good Luck!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    its just like when you first started running. Increase your distance & time slowly and let your body adjust. Once you get up to 30 minutes, start working a bit more on your speed. its worked for me. I just finished an hour in the pool this morning (2500m) and was dying after 500m when i first started. Keep it up!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite to you! I can get in a pool and swim 50 laps easy without a break, it takes me about 45minutes at the moment. This week I started couch to 5k and boy am I feeling it. After the first session my legs felt like jelly! I think you have to just stick with it and you will improve. Good luck
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Are you holding your breath when your face is in the water? A lot of people make that mistake and they feel like they've "run out of air". After you take a breath, exhale slowly (with your face in the water) through both your mouth and your nose. Practice this in the shallow end while you just stand up in one place until you get comfortable with it. It should help.

You also have to trust the water. It will hold you up!

And definitely don't worry about flip turns at this point. That stuff can always come later! I swam while I was pregnant right up until the day I went into the hospital to deliver. I kept waiting to tuck into the flip and get stuck upside down like a turtle.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm over 55 and have just learned to swim freestyle in January. When I first learned I couldn't even swim one length. I was to have a swim test to progress to the next level so I was trying with all my might. Even though I couldn't swim the length my instructor knew with continued practice I would swim lengths and laps soon. She saw my dedication because I would come in and practice extra time. And I was promoted to the next level. So now six months later I can swim many laps before getting tired. It just takes perseverance, regular practice, and the desire to make yourself continue.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Running is my numero uno for cardio, and I decided to incorporate swimming in as some cross training. I've been told it will help increase my lung capacity and help with my breathing for running, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Eventually, I'd love to compete in triathlons...but...good gracious I suck at swimming.

My "technique" is decent (freestyle and breaststroke are what I stick to), I suppose, considering the extent of my training is 5th grade swim team and watching Michael Phelps on TV, but I get SO out of breath. I feel like such a douche swimming laps at the gym next to these super fit swimmers that have obviously competed at some higher level, doing their little kick flip things at the end of each lap to glide flawlessly into the next....while I stop and try to catch my breath before attempting another lap.

Any helpful tips? Or is it just like anything else: stick with it, you'll get better eventually?

This was totally me last week! I'm hoping that swimming will help my breath control across the board though. I kind of panic underwater and have to remind myself to exhale slowly. I was told to make sure to push all the air completely out while underwater so that you're not finishing your exhale and trying to inhale when you bring your head up.
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Slow your stroke down.. try to lengthen your body and your reach with your arms. Be sure to fully inhale/exhale while breathing. You will get tired very quickly taking shallow breaths every two strokes or so. Just find a comfortable rhythm and don't worry about speed. You can also improve your lung capacity with exercises.

It sounds like a childhood game but try it a few times at the end of your swims. Push off the wall and swim under water as far as you can with one breath. Try to increase the distance each time.

I am not an expert but my sister was a swim coach for a long time. I was doing lifeguard training and preparing for the swim test and she had me doing some of this stuff..

Good advice. I coached as well (age-group) and I think the best way to work on increasing your lung capacity is to slow your stroke down and concentrate on breathing every 3 strokes. Take a rest between laps if you feel that you need it - there is nothing wrong with catching your breath! Work on being able to swim a few lengths without stopping or just a touch and go. Another plus to slowing down is that it allows you time to perform your stroke with better technique. After you get comfortable breathing every 3 strokes start working on breathing every 5 strokes and then 7 strokes. Try not to breath on just one side as this can really mess up your stroke and your neck and it will give your arms an uneven work load.

Oh, yes, don't forget to blow your air out when your face is in the water!