Stand still on losing weight

Options
Ok I kinda think I might be freaking out unnecessarily right now... but I'm freaking out! lol. I started MFP about a month ago and I'm almost finished with my fifth week of losing weight. But this week and the past week I haven't lost any weight and I think I might've gained a pound since then because I only saw the 6lbs weight loss number once and now I'm back up to only having lost 5lbs. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or what. I know I shouldn't expect to see immediate and drastic results but I went from eating like 4000 calories a day and not moving a muscle to working out an hour or two a day and eating way less. I kinda expected more than this! Why have I not lost any in the past two weeks??

Replies

• Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've been standing still for 2 weeks, both on scale and in measurements.

My beliefs are that the body need to get used to it. First it works a little, then when you actually maintain the new lifestyle, the body need to adjust, you're building muscles and so on.

But I do think it's strange. I am trying to talk myself into that the body is just in chock, especially for me who has tried diets, but never manage dto maintain it for this long. Please if anyone see what we are doing wrong. Tell us =) :P
  • juwan24
    juwan24 Posts: 27
    Options
    the usual answers are to make sure you're netting enough calories to cover your exercise and to make sure you're drinking enough water. Anytimes that I've "plateaued" it's been either not enough water or not eating enough
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    @ mehaffeymk I looked at your food diary, and it seems like if you're worried about hitting a plateau, you might want to rethink some of your food choices. First of all, this is all just advice from what I've learned being on here for a year so take it or leave it. It looks like you have a lot of take out food in your diary--it could be all estimates that aren't really from that place, but realize that takeout food has lots of preservatives and salt that doesn't help weight loss. Also, try cutting back on processed foods and eat more clean. Make sure to drink enough water everyday. And my biggest question would be the amount of calories you're eating each day--have you calculated your BMR? Unless you've talked to a doctor about eating that low of calories, I would try increasing them or try adding more exercise into your daily activities.

The way to break a plateau is always to switch things up. Plus, make sure you're tracking measurements as well. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but the inches do. Good luck and be patient. We all hit these stagnant times.
  • Liveloveandbefit456
    Options
    Having the same problem, would love to read the responses later!
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    the usual answers are to make sure you're netting enough calories to cover your exercise and to make sure you're drinking enough water. Anytimes that I've "plateaued" it's been either not enough water or not eating enough

I have a daily goal set to my BMR 1472. So I should get enough?
  • juwan24
    juwan24 Posts: 27
    Options
    @mehaffeymk Less sodium and more calories. Hit your goal net calories as close as possible everyday and the more sodium you eat, the more water you'll retain
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You sound like you've just hit a small plateau. I didn't lose any weight for a month and a half not too long ago. Sometimes plateaus are a good thing because I was getting lax with my diet. The plateau forced me to go back and look at what I was doing and rectify some problems. I've since lost 4 pounds.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't come off in a nice little chunk each week. Stick to what you're doing. It WILL work over the long haul. Quit weighing for a while, if it ruins your motivation. It's hard, I totally understand!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I took the liberty of looking at your diary. Cut back on your sodium and try to avoid prepared foods/takeout where you can, it makes a huge difference. In the long run, 2 weeks with no loss is not awful. All we can do is our best.