WTF - weight loss in 5 months

Options
Hi. I've been on this MFP since 7th Jan 2012, so just over 5 months. And I have lost up to 20lbs, but currently at 17lbs loss (my weight goes up and down).

I started off setting my goal to 1200 cals per day and was losing around 1lb a week but was advised by a lot of people that I should be eating more. I then tried eating more (for a month - 1600-1800) and gained 1lb every week, after the month I stopped and went back down to 1400, I waas losing some weeks, gaining or staying the same other weeks. I've then brought it down to 1300 and it's still the same, lose a pound, put it on, stay the same!!

I have read so many stories on here, one recently about people that have lost 50lbs in 3-4 months, some 6 months, some 5 months - BUT 50lbs!!!! HOW??????

I drink generally between 6 and 16 glasses of water every day.

I burn between 2500 and 5000 calories in a week, a combination of cardio and kettlebells (lots of zumba, walking and the kettlebells).

I am wanting to change my lifestyle, not go on a diet and therefore have been watching my portion sizes. I generally make my own food and therefore know exactly what goes in it. Yes i still have burgers, chips etc but i will also make sure I'm within my calorie count and when i do have them I generally don't eat the bun and will have half the chips at the most.

I measure my food so that's correct.

I drink lots of water

i do lots of exercise (and mix it up with some weights)

the weight is coming off but VERY, VERY SLOWLY. I'm just a bit disheartened when I see others, losing 50-60lbs at this stage.

I started out at 219.5lbs CW 202.4 and I'm 5ft 8"

Ok my measurements I started on the 12th Feb (I hadn't done it before):

Neck: was: 15" now 14.1"
Waist: was: 37" now 34"
Hips: was: 46" now 43"
Breast: was: 42" now 39"
Thigh: was: 26" now 25.5"
Upper arm: was: 14" now 14"

I really feel I'm trying to do as much as i possibly can, walking up to school instead of taking the car, parking as far away as possible from the shops, walking to the park, literally walking as much as I can - this is in addition to my exercise classes.

Where am I going wrong? Please help! (Lame man's English please as I don't understand the technical jargon - thanks.)

x

Replies

• Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am one of "those people" you are referring to but I honestly don't know what I am doing differently then you are. I don't do any high impact exercise (other than the days I tried Jillian and then changes my mind) and my goal is 1370 now. I have it set at 1 pound per week and MFP calculates how many calories I should eat. I honestly usually net around 1000 calories for the week after you subtract out my exercise. You can check out my diary...maybe that would help. Good luck figuring it out Christine. I would be very frustrated as well.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Christine,

Your MFP twin here! I feel the same way wondering how these people do it? Well I think we need to look at the facts. Like for instance how much did these people weigh starting out? My husband is a great example. He's on here too w/no friends I might add. He started a lil bit after we did. He's lost probably 75lbs BUT he weighed well over 300lbs. Me I've lost a measly 13-15lbs since we started. I think, judging by your measurements that you are doing a tremendous job! I think it's just gonna take longer because honestly you don't look like you need to lose much more & maybe your body is feeling the same way. I'm not saying stop by any means, keep working to reach your goals! Lord knows I am. I figured it this way, if it takes me a year to lose 30 lbs then so be it. I say that because I don't want to get on some strict diet that I'm not going to be able to continue, I'm like you watch my portions, eat what I want & make sure it's within my calories. Although I am trying to stay away from a lot of sweets.

Good luck & I'm still here cheering you on!!!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat - I've lost a tad more than you have (started January 31st), but I have this screaming-green-eyed-monster moment every once in a while when I see someone who started around the same time I did who has lost 50+ pounds. It's a weird combination of :huh: , :sad: and :angry: !

Seriously, I'm happy others are having great success, and I know I feel much better than I did - I also know I'm not eating anywhere near as well as I *should* be (although I try hard to stay under my calories most days, I do have minor slip-ups), so it is all good, overall. But those moments of "Holy crap, it'll take me a YEAR to lose what they've lost since March" just kill me sometimes. It is a little demoralizing. :ohwell: ~sigh~

All I can do, though, is keep plodding forward. The things I've been doing are sustainable, so that gives me hope that I won't slingshot right back to my starting weight once I try "maintenance"!

So mostly this is my long-winded way of commiserating. :flowerforyou:
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So you have been doing this for roughly 26 weeks, and you have lost 17-20lbs. What's wrong with that?

However this is what bothers me:
    "I then tried eating more (for a month - 1600-1800) and gained 1lb every week, after the month I stopped and went back down to 1400,"

So you increased your calories by 400 a day. According to fitness frog, for Moderate exercise, your TDEE for your height and weight is 2500 calories! To gain a lb of fat a week you would need to consume 3000 calories a day! I think you quit RIGHT before you were going to see the losses kick in. How long have you been at 1200-1400? Are you eating exercise calories back?
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    It took me 10 months to lose 37 lbs, some people plateau at different stages. If you're bigger to begin with, you will lose weight faster. I am only 5'2" and had to lose 30 lbs to get to a healthy BMI and it took me about 7 months, then the other 7 came off over 3 months and I've been plateauing/maintaining since. Your body might not want to lose anymore weight, and that's when you increase your exercise.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I honestly usually net around 1000 calories for the week after you subtract out my exercise.
    So you eat let's say 10500 in a week (1500 a day) and exercise 9500 in a week, or I misunderstood ?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I honestly usually net around 1000 calories for the week after you subtract out my exercise.
    So you eat let's say 10500 in a week (1500 a day) and exercise 9500 in a week, or I misunderstood ?
    I think she means 1000/day.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Options

I'm not exercising nearly that much!! Also I am not the same person that posted the question. What I am doing is working for me is all I was saying.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Options
    I think she means 1000/day.
    That is exactly what I meant. On the app it shows you your daily average for the week.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that mentions where you start out at. If you are lower in weight it comes off slower, if you are heavier it comes off faster. Just stick with it and it will workout.... :wink:
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    People lose weight at different speeds for a variety of different reasons; it really just depends on the individual sometimes.

Rather than being jealous of others success, why not revel in your own? 17-20lbs in 5 months is pretty damn impressive. When it comes down to it, you can't force your body to drop weight faster than it is meant to. If you're doing all the things you say you're doing, then there's not much else you can do. Your body will lose weight at it's own pace.

And look at it this way; slow, steady weight loss has proven to be far more easily maintainable than quick weight loss. I'm by no means saying those who have lost it quickly are going to gain it back, because I'm sure they aren't, but there is nothing wrong with losing slowly.

I've lost 37lbs in around 6/7 months. A lot of people have lost the same amount of weight in half the time. Am I bothered? No. Why? Because that's them, this is me, and I'm still proud of what I've achieved so far, and what I'm going to achieve in the future. You should feel the same. If there's one lesson to take away from this journey, it's that comparing yourself to others is utterly pointless. Your body is yours, and theirs is theirs, and yours is not going to work out exactly the same as everyone elses.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    People lose weight at different speeds for a variety of different reasons; it really just depends on the individual sometimes.

Rather than being jealous of others success, why not revel in your own? 17-20lbs in 5 months is pretty damn impressive. When it comes down to it, you can't force your body to drop weight faster than it is meant to. If you're doing all the things you say you're doing, then there's not much else you can do. Your body will lose weight at it's own pace.

And look at it this way; slow, steady weight loss has proven to be far more easily maintainable than quick weight loss. I'm by no means saying those who have lost it quickly are going to gain it back, because I'm sure they aren't, but there is nothing wrong with losing slowly.

I've lost 37lbs in around 6/7 months. A lot of people have lost the same amount of weight in half the time. Am I bothered? No. Why? Because that's them, this is me, and I'm still proud of what I've achieved so far, and what I'm going to achieve in the future. You should feel the same. If there's one lesson to take away from this journey, it's that comparing yourself to others is utterly pointless. Your body is yours, and theirs is theirs, and yours is not going to work out exactly the same as everyone elses.

^^^^^^ Here Here.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic by the way. I know you may feel a long way from your goal but all that exercise has changed your body right?
    A couple of things you may wish to try. I noticed lots of breads in your diet, some people find that when they reduce or eliminate bread that they get rid of their "wheat belly". This doesn't appy to everyone, but many people I know that didn't think it affected them, have tried being off wheat and notice an quick drop in weight and an increase in energy and well being.
    Other health issues like PCOS or Hypothyroidism might play a part.
    I think your weight loss rate is actually good, usually you only have big numbers at the beginning of you weight loss. It slows down. Eating more works for me, I have been dropping on average 2/week and am at 207 now. I start at 1200 calories (I am much shorter) and eat most of my exercise calories usualy between 300-600 =1500-1700/day-which makes me full and happy)
  • MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think I may be one of the people you are talking about. Yes I have lost 58lbs in 6 months but I weighed more than you did when I started, a lot more. Every person is different. And I also suppose it depends on what your lifestyle was like before you began.
    For instance - my lifestyle was not good :( You will have read my profile and seen how my weight has yo-yoed over the years. I am not ashamed to say that I was nearly 300lbs when I began my journey on 15th January and this is what I did:
    - I reduced my portions and used smaller plates so I still felt like I was eating full plates of food. I was eating way to much beforehand!
    - I began doing a hell of a lot more exercise than I used to - I walked everywhere, went for extra walks at the weekend, joined the gym etc. I would do very little exercise, if at all beforehand!
    - My husband is doing the same thing - we are supporting each other. Before Jan we were supporting each other in which take away to have! LOL
    - I stopped snacking to begin with but now eat a couple of healthy snacks. Before it would be lots of unhealthy snacks!
    - I joined MFP in May and this has helped to focus my calorie counting and has made me realise I was doing all the right things before.

Please do not be disheartened by other people's weight loss. We are all unique and one week you may have a huge loss while I have a small one! Keep on doing what you are doing! You do a lot more exercise than I do and your food diary is always excellent, full of healthy meals and occasional treats! Do not give up - we all believe in you!!!!!
  • lydiamolyneux
    lydiamolyneux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think slow weight loss is the best loss if you want to keep it off and I agree with the others, those with massive weight lossses may well have started out way bigger than you. You can't ignore the fact that if you consume less calories than you burn you WILL lose weight, so keep doing what you're doing. I think you are doing really well.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Please don't sweat it or get discouraged, Christine. You have been doing such a fabulous job. I love seeing your exercise posts because you KICK BUTT EVERYDAY!! And while you may not see the numbers on the scale changing as rapidly as you'd like, your measurements are definitely showing the progress you are making! I can also see the difference each time you change your profile pic.

Chin up, it may be a little slow, but you ARE accomplishing the things you are striving for. :flowerforyou:
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been on this MFP since 7th Jan 2012, so just over 5 months. And I have lost up to 20lbs, but currently at 17lbs loss (my weight goes up and down).

I started off setting my goal to 1200 cals per day and was losing around 1lb a week but was advised by a lot of people that I should be eating more. I then tried eating more (for a month - 1600-1800) and gained 1lb every week, after the month I stopped and went back down to 1400, I waas losing some weeks, gaining or staying the same other weeks. I've then brought it down to 1300 and it's still the same, lose a pound, put it on, stay the same!!

I have read so many stories on here, one recently about people that have lost 50lbs in 3-4 months, some 6 months, some 5 months - BUT 50lbs!!!! HOW??????

I drink generally between 6 and 16 glasses of water every day.

I burn between 2500 and 5000 calories in a week, a combination of cardio and kettlebells (lots of zumba, walking and the kettlebells).

I am wanting to change my lifestyle, not go on a diet and therefore have been watching my portion sizes. I generally make my own food and therefore know exactly what goes in it. Yes i still have burgers, chips etc but i will also make sure I'm within my calorie count and when i do have them I generally don't eat the bun and will have half the chips at the most.

I measure my food so that's correct.

I drink lots of water

i do lots of exercise (and mix it up with some weights)

the weight is coming off but VERY, VERY SLOWLY. I'm just a bit disheartened when I see others, losing 50-60lbs at this stage.

I started out at 219.5lbs CW 202.4 and I'm 5ft 8"

Ok my measurements I started on the 12th Feb (I hadn't done it before):

Neck: was: 15" now 14.1"
    Waist: was: 37" now 34"
    Hips: was: 46" now 43"
    Breast: was: 42" now 39"
    Thigh: was: 26" now 25.5"
    Upper arm: was: 14" now 14"

I really feel I'm trying to do as much as i possibly can, walking up to school instead of taking the car, parking as far away as possible from the shops, walking to the park, literally walking as much as I can - this is in addition to my exercise classes.

Where am I going wrong? Please help! (Lame man's English please as I don't understand the technical jargon - thanks.)

x

Honestly, 20 lbs in 5 months is a pretty decent rate. 1 lb per week is pretty good, and now that you are closer to your goal, your rate may need to go down to 0.5-1 lb per week.

My other thought is that you may be overestimating your calories burnt and underestimating what you eat.

You need to not only measure your food but WEIGH your food and log every single thing. Eating out can kill your diet as well. If you eat out, leave a 1/4 of the portion on the plate and log the entire serving (or multiply the serving by 1.2). Weigh all of your food. You might be surprised at the difference.

If you are "eating back exercise calories," get a better estimate of your burn. Get a heart rate monitor, if you don't have one already. Or eat back 3/4 of the calories only. MFP generally overestimates these.

Think about what it means when you are gaining a lb per week on 1600 calories. Not only would that imply that your TDEE (daily calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight) is LESS than 1600 calories, it implies that your TDEE is 500 less than 1600. That would apparently mean that you would maintain your current weight on 1100 calories, despite the amount of exercise that you do, which seems pretty far-fetched to me. I think you need to not only try to be more accurate, but more patient.

Stop comparing your weight loss to others. People who weigh more can lose more quickly. They may be able to handle a diet differently, and their body may just respond to things differently. When you have ~50 lbs to go, it's perfectly normal and healthy for your weight loss to slow.
  • Jumpinsticks
    Options
    People's bodies react different to different methods... I guess that's why it's called being different :) Some people can just drop weight like it's nothing, but some people keep it on, and different ways of eating will help different people lose weight at different levels...

And, FYI, that's not always true about how the bigger you are the faster the weight comes off. Lots of things come into play. It's actually harder for some people once they hit a certain stage of weight to get any pounds off at all in the beginning
    Once you break that 'barrier', and this seems to be true across the board, it becomes much easier to keep it coming off with consistency, but that initial 'barrier' point seems to be the difficulty in breaking, and finding for that matter, because it'll trick you into thinking that what you're doing does not work... Consider your body to be an addict... True addicts will do anything, say anything to get their next fix... Even so far as to trick themselves into thinking that what they are doing is perfectly logical and a necessary part of life... Your body is holding on to the weight while you make your changes holding out to see if this is actually the way it's going to be, or can it convince you to give up and go back to the way it is comfortable in...
    Maybe the methods you're trying are actually going to work for you and you just need to try them for a bit longer...

Over all your weight loss is good... We all wish it would come off faster, but truly it's more important to come off healthy... If you're eating healthy, exercising and doing what you should be doing, then don't worry about the weight coming off right away. Just focus on those aspects... If several months of doing that nothing happens, maybe you need to talk to a medical professional. As annoying as they can be, they really can give you a different perspective and a direction to follow if you explain what you've done and tried.
  • ferraroma
    ferraroma Posts: 13
    Options
    I just started this journey but in prior weight loss efforts, I was same boat. Here's what I learned and why I am doing this one differently. First, i cannot compare my weight loss to anyone else's. Their metabolism may be different, etc. Second, it took me a long time to get to this weight, so it's going to take me probably as long, if not longer, to take it off. Focus on all the positives you mentioned you are doing to get yourself healthier.

I want to be healthier (and I want to be thinner) but I believe the two go hand in hand. I struggled all my life with my weight. I don't want to fight anymore, it's a loosing battle. I have accepted that I will be challenged with watching my food intake and the amount of exercise I do for the rest of my life. And so be it.

BTW you and are are the same height and I am starting out at about where you started. I would KILL to be at your weight. But it will come eventually. Right now I am enjoying the small wins... I lost 6 pounds. I am more conscious of what I am eating. I am moving more, even with the aches and pains. I feel better. My skin looks better. My mood is better (and being that I am going into menopause that is a GREAT thing).

I know discouragement is part of the game. Try this, start watching how many carbs you are eating. I found that when I stoppd loosing weight, if I reduced my carb intake but kept my calories the same (or points because it was WW), the weight loss would start up again. Watch your sodium as well. That's what I like about this program, you can see all that.

Good luck and hang in there... As the Harley Davidson people say... it's not about where you are going it's about the ride!!!