Really Big Zumba Gal

Options
I was just in Charleston, SC thsi weekend attending a music festival that my company was putting on. That morning we had all of the area Zumba instrutors show up for a big Zumba party and dance to kick-off the event. It really got everybody going.

What caught my eye, and everyone elses I'm sure, was this one woman, who had to be around 300 lbs, dancing her a** off. She was one of the best dancers in the group of more than 200 people. They had them sectioned of into two teams and the big woman was leading her team to victory. It was so much fun to watch and her enthusaim was infectious.

I had a chance to talk to her and she is actually Zumba instrutor in the area and she told me that she had lost so much weight by doing this and is still on her way. I was so encouraged by her. I wish I had gotten her name. No more excuses for me. It's Zumba time!!

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this :) I may have to give it a shot too :)
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! One thing I hate about workout videos is that all the people are already thin. Makes this fat girl (me) feel stupid and discouraged to do them. I love to know that there are bigger people that can succeed at doing them!
  • FoxToBe
    FoxToBe Posts: 2
    Options
    That's awesome! I've wanted to zumba for a while, but was self conscious about my weight. Maybe I'll go give it a try! Thanks for the inspiring post!
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Zumba! I started about 3-4 weeks ago. The classes I go to are at the gym and there are people of all shapes, sizes and ages! I just love it.

I'm 229lbs and I'm able to make it through the whole thing.. my friend is the same size as me and wore her heart rate monitor and burned 700 calories in an hour!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    And, you were not joking when you said that she was dancing her a** off. That is exactly what she was doing.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart:
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey KansasGal,

Don't be discourgaged by the thinner people. Maybe they used to be the big girl. I love your profil pic btw:-)
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba with a group 2 days a week and it is so much fun! You really sweat your hiney off and it's a great workout. You will burn a ton of calories doing it! And the hour passes by very quickly. I highly recommend it! I do have the home dvd's as well but they are no where near as much fun as with the group.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    that's so heartwarming to hear!! I tell myself the same thing, if this older and much bigger lady in my zumba class can shake it then i better step it up a notch :wink: if you find out who she is let me know, i'd love to friend her on here or fb...so encouraging to us girls who still have a ways to go till we become the Skinny Zumba girl :bigsmile:
  • Charlahorr
    Charlahorr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA is such a great workout.... and its fun at same time... !!!! :)
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One of my gal friends also told me she took up zumba while working out. She went down like 60 pounds in just a few months she looks great!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    There is a zumba class offered at my office twice a week and we have a similar situation. One of the heaviest ladies in the office is in there every Tuesday and Friday, dancing her butt off and making her whole body shake like something fierce!! It's very inspiring because if she can dance like that, then I have no excuse!! It's also very nice to see people making positive changes to get healthy because god knows many people could care less.

FoxToBe, don't be shy, go join!!
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    60 minutes of Zumba for a 200 pound person...low intensity burns approximately 550 - 600 calories if you do high intensity it burns 760- 810 calories....now that's a workout!!

I do jazzercise...same kind of concept and I burn 555 calories in 60 minutes. The more weight I lose the less calories I burn, but I don't care...looking better and feeling fabulous!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba twice a week for 4 months now and love it! There are ladies & a few men there of all sizes, it is fun for all!! I really encourage anyone to try it. It doesnt feel like exercise which why I love it.
  • buryingluck
    Options
    I LOVE seeing bigger people in the gym/dancing/generally working out, who are doing their best to lose weight and get fit! People in my gym who make jokes and laugh at them make me sick. So shallow.
    Good on her! It's nice to see bigger people not be put off by the majority of trainers/teachers etc who are super toned and skinny. Everyone and anyone can do it, it just takes a bit of dedication!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! One thing I hate about workout videos is that all the people are already thin. Makes this fat girl (me) feel stupid and discouraged to do them. I love to know that there are bigger people that can succeed at doing them!
    \

I promise you if you came to my zumba class you'd feel so welcome and not self conscious :smile: there are several people working towards losing 100 pounds or more! i love sometimes when i'm working it hard and look at a younger, thinner girl and they are struggling...then i feel the extra push to keep going :bigsmile: Plus there's this great lady named Rose who is very thin and i've gotten to know her better, she used to to 150 pounds heavier! and i always tell those hesitant to go to a class that no one else has time to really look at you, they are trying to get the moves down and not fall :laugh:
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    This is GREAT, yes my umba instructor started out teaching Zumba far over 200 pounds and in two years she is at 118 pounds and sixpack babe thanks to Zumba! I say go for it and have fun moving your body. Nothing like a fun dance party :flowerforyou:
  • cleorh
    cleorh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a Zumba teacher in the UK. When I started teaching I was 210 pounds. I have been teaching on and off for nearly a year. I am 173 pounds at the moment and hoping to lose alot more.
    Zumba is a great way to exercise and there is no right or wrong. Everyone can dance !!
    I love the music and I always feel so much better after I have done a class.
    Fab way to get fit, LOVE ZUMBA xx
  • msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    I zumba in my garage with my Wii. I'm too self conscious to do it (or anything else for that matter) in a gym. I have lost 35 pounds... It's hard to keep motivated some days, but so much fun!