symptoms of anemia as you get stronger/leaner???

Options
I wanted to throw this out in case anyone else has had this experience...

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that I have what appears to be symptoms of anemia. I'm tired a lot of the time, and the biggest thing is that I am almost always light headed when I get up. Several times a day I have moments of nearly blacking out for a second after getting up.

It doesn't affect my work outs at all. I work out at least an hour a day and I have 1 or 2 runs a week that are 2 hours. I can work out just fine, it's more when I'm at home during my day, being more non-active.

The very first thing I thought of was anemia but when I looked it up, and looked up diet, I eat everything that it says anemic people lack! I eat loads of protein and dark greens.

I just broke through a plateau in my weight loss where I dropped about 5 lbs pretty quickly and now I"m at a point where I'm getting fairly lean.

I'm wondering has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if I need to adjust my diet and, if so, how....since I'm eating pretty iron rich foods. Or if there is something else besides anemia I should be looking at?

Replies

• thefcc33
    thefcc33 Posts: 2
    Options
    interesting...I have noticed the same thing with myself. just noting this, but I too do not know why. I work out fine too. my resting heart rate is 50-60. getting up I often have to steady myself from the head rush. not all the time...only sometimes.

I looked into orthostatic hypotension. not sure if this is weight-loss related tho....

just adding.
  • erinbeccabee
    Options
    I got severly anemic several years ago while training for a half-marathon. It became hard to breathe while running and I was extremely fatigued all the time. I also had dizzy spells. I don't eat red meat very often and wasn't eating a lot of dark leafy greens. I had my blood drawn and that it how I was diagnosed. You might just need to get checked out. If you are anemic, you will not believe how much better you will feel with the right iron level.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are a number of things that can cause you to be light headed other than anemia, some serious, some not so serious. If it continues, you really should see a doctor.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like anemia.. sounds like blood pressure. When you are fit, your heart pumps better with each stroke, thereby reducing the number of times it pumps (resting hr) and the blood pressure behind those pumps. If you are fit, and stand too fast, the heart hasn't had time to fill the pressure gap created from your head going from three feet off the ground to six feet off the ground. When you raise up like that, the heart has to really pump to get the blood to flow straight up into your head, and that lag time causes syncope (fainting), until your system normalizes and compensates for the sudden movement. Just try to remember not to make any sudden plane changes (from lying to standing or sitting to standing) and you should be good to go.
  • scorn1016
    scorn1016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    bump - i have similar (but milder) issues of the same....
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Maybe low blood pressure? In the evening, when I'm relaxing, mine is usually around 95/60. If I jump up too quickly, I'll see stars for a minute. I talked to my doctor and he said it was nothing to be concerned about.

I might suggest you place a call to your doctor and have it checked out!
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    omg....this has happened to me o.O

Took my blood pressure one day at home with my little bp machine and it was a little low. another day when I experienced this, I took my bp and it was normal. My limbs get all tingly too when I walk and my sight kind of goes. Also feels like I'm losing my balance :O
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to take a few deep breaths before standing up to reduce shock our body goes through by standing up.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I thought I was anemic, but it actually ended up being hypoglycemia. Go talk to your doc. There are a ton of different things it could be.
  • orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sound like you're anemic. Maybe Vertigo? Is this only happening when you are at home? If so, do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Slow leaks of gas can cause those issues. It could be alot of things. Be safe, go to the doctor and get checked out. Hope it gets better for ya.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I have anemia and low blood pressure...not the best combination. Eating a lot of leafy greens and red meat at least once a week helps. I add in iron supplements too, to help with the anemia. But, I agree with the poster above...it's really just best to take a few breaths and rise slowly when getting up.
  • jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I get this way mostly when I'm dehydrated (light headed, a little like blacking out, especially when standing up). Maybe try some water or some other liquid with electrolytes.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sound like you're anemic. Maybe Vertigo? Is this only happening when you are at home? If so, do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Slow leaks of gas can cause those issues. It could be alot of things. Be safe, go to the doctor and get checked out. Hope it gets better for ya.
    Vertigo is not a diagnosis. It's a symptom, and she doesn't have it.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I've been anaemic since my teens. The only sure fire way for me to boost my iron intake enough is to take supplements. I would get some advice from your doctor, you really need to find out if this is what it is or something else. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiency? I have had that, combined with anemia, and the symptoms were similar. I also had a pretty good diet at the time...
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I wondered about dehydration but I drink a TON of water during the day. The low blood pressure things makes sense. It is when I'm at home, when I've been sitting or resting for longer periods of time and then I get up. I am pretty sure it's not Carbon Monoxide, as I have a detector for that and my house is pretty teeny and drafty.

Thanks for the ideas. Due to my job, I don't really have the option of seeing a doctor anytime soon, but I am going to ask for a blood test when I am able to.
  • avocado22
    avocado22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing very similar problems with the light-headedness, faint moments, and all that. Last time this happened to me I went to a doctor and found out my iron level was very low. I just made an appointment again to go in and see a doctor next week.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Since you can't go to the doctor soon, maybe try taking iron supplements and see if increased iron helps? Just make sure you eat a solid meal before taking iron supplements because they can upset your stomach. I'm anemic and even when I eat tons of red meat and spinach my iron levels are still too low (I always get rejected for donating blood).
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've recently done a ton of research with this topic. It turns out, after blood draws and doctor's visits, that I have Mycrocytic Anemia. Red blood cells are pale (?) and not enough volume of blood.

It's not serious, and doc thinks with a couple of days of rest and a better diet, it will be taken care of.

I've read that this particular form of anemia is most commonly found in women who exercise vigorously, are vegetarian, and/or are long distance runners.