whats better sugar or artificial?

Options
I heard from many people artificial sugar is really bad for you and can store fat. But I also hear regular sugar is bad and stores even more fat.

What is the truth!?!

Replies

• mrsbice
    Options
    i don't think that artifical is the answer. it is empty calories, and the jury is still out on what it does to your body in the long run. I saw my dad become a new man (and about 40 lbs lighter) from cutting out artificial sweetners (he is a diabetic, so he didn't have to worry about cutting out real sugar too).

I think that natural sugar, if you are going to have sugar, is better for you, and is more satisfying, meaning you will eat less to get satisfied.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Do your body a favor and do without both. There are healthier things to eat.:bigsmile:
  • berlin80210
    berlin80210 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So confusing, isn't it?

I think the closer to nature the better off you are (think sucanat (natural sugar) and unrefined), but I live in a modern world and unfortunately I can't always afford much less take the time to seek it out for every meal. Especially when most packaged foods contain HFCS or refined sugar.

I'm a lover of Truvia (even when it was just stevia "the suppliment") and try to stay away completely from Splenda, Aspertame, Pink Packets, Blue Packets, etc. Unfortunately, I find raw sugar is just not as sweet as I'd like, but that's the result of a previously poor diet I suppose.

I do find I am less hungry through out the day when I get natural sugars, like from fruit. I try to limit myself to two packets of Truvia in my a.m. coffee and that's it for the day.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    many have advised me to do away with artificial sugars. Instead, i substitute it with organic natural honey :)
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use agave in my coffee and such. I stopped artifical sweetners over the summer. I dropped 6 pounds in two weeks when I did.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    okay but my problem is mostly with my coffee in the mornings!

I usually get a sugar free coffee and add splenda... but im hearing thats not good.

ALSO, for diet drinks like diet snapple its 0 calories because it has splenda.. Good or bad for these scenarios??
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my coffee and tea. It's an herbal extract, so it's natural. I think 1 packet has 1 carb in it, but otherwise it's zero calorie. I won't use Splenda anymore because I believe it's unsafe.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Unless you are having glucose tolerance issues, I really believe that sugar is far better for you if choosing between the two. At least common sugar is processed by our bodies in a relatively natural way..

If you are talking about what to add to your coffee....1 tsp of sugar is only 11 calories....it shouldn't be hard to fit that into your diet. It's the cream that will kill you. I'd rather take the 11 calorie hit - or even 2 or three times that if necessary, and adjust elsewhere, rather than use any of the substitutes.

The same with processed foods, usually all the high sugar treats are also high fat...the exception being pop and fruit drinks that are loaded with HFCS or sugar - now those I would avoid altogether.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Im debating on the sugar in the regurlar syrup they use for coffee flavors or the sugar free kinda. They regular is 70 calories extra for only 2 squirts
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'd get the flavoured coffee that they brew and then put reg sugar in it, rather than doing the pumps of either!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think this is up to a person's opinion, because for a lot of people that are excessively overweight, reducing their calories by switching to diet soda, etc. could be a lifesaving choice. However, I think that to ultimately be as healthy as one can be, I think natural sugars will always be healthier than artifical chemical sweeteners.

My personal motto is "I'd rather have the calories than the cancer". I can burn off calories. There is just not enough known about long term effects of taking Splenda, Nutrasweet, etc. Not to mention that studies have shown that artificial sweeteners will make you crave even more sweetness.

I've stopped drinking diet soda, and try to avoid regular soda on most occassions. I'll have one every 3 or 4 weeks if I am out with a friend or something. I try to use sugar in the raw and honey as much as possible.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As for coffee syrups, I know a nutritionist who will get mochas with just 2 squirts of regular syrup (instead of the usual 4 that Starbucks puts in). Eventually, you get used to the lower amount of sugar.
  • tallutta
    tallutta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor avoid all artificial sugar, causes brain cell damage.

If wanting sugar just have sugar, there are not many calories in a teaspoon.

I love a packet of raw sugar in my coffee occasionally, it is just yummy. They have it at Starbucks also.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    what if I have a major sweet tooth but dont have room for extra calories? :/
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Have a teaspoon of honey and dance around for five minutes.:happy:
    what if I have a major sweet tooth but dont have room for extra calories? :/