Hope someone has an answer

Options
Altarian
Altarian Posts: 230 Member
Ok here is the issue i'm having. When a person marinates meat do you include the nutritional value of the marinade when you log your food for that meal? Or just the part that is cooked?

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I would maybe include about half of the value of the marinade. Usually thats about the only amount thats left on there, when you take it out. But who knows
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't incude it. Only a little is going to remain on the meat. You could try to eyeball how much actually was actually on the meat, and divide it out by serving, but it's probably not going to be enough to make much difference.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I usually measure what I put into the marinade and then roughly measure what is left after the marinading is done. I log the difference. I am not sure if there is a more acurate way, I would be interested to hear others responses.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I figure what amount I will actually consume. I usually have calories left each day so if im close , Im okay with that way. with sauces its usually a few tablespoons that you actually eat. This is my opinion, not a fact.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'll bite--I'm assuming you're using a pre-made marinade? If you want to get really precise, you can always measure the starting marinade volume, then re-measure what's left after you pull the meat out to cook. Assume the difference is the amount you would account for calorie-wise.

Or if you're me, you just fudge it. Unless the marinade is heavy on oil or sugar I might not count it; otherwise, i'd add another 25-50 calories and call it a day.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'll bite--I'm assuming you're using a pre-made marinade? If you want to get really precise, you can always measure the starting marinade volume, then re-measure what's left after you pull the meat out to cook. Assume the difference is the amount you would account for calorie-wise.

Or if you're me, you just fudge it. Unless the marinade is heavy on oil or sugar I might not count it; otherwise, i'd add another 25-50 calories and call it a day.

I actually have never made a pre made marinade but always make mine from scratch. I tend to do that with a lot of food as i actually love cooking from scratch and not from box.

to everyone, thank you. all your thoughts helped me decide how to deal with this ponder i've been having.