i am so hungry

Options
i am a bad snacker...that is how i got this way...i know that. i am using the slim fast plan to get it under control, but i am hungry all the time now! i do the 3-2-1 plan, and do the snacks and all that, but i can not stop feeling hungry. i think it is more mental than anything else.

any tips on controlling the urge to eat my own foot off to stop the hunger?

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Lots of water. And my opinion would be to ditch Slimfast and eat real food. I did slim fast for the first 2 days of my "journey" but I have been much happier eating real food ever since.
  • carpediem8i8
    Options
    The title of your post made me laugh because it's so honest and I have been there so many times. I've done the slimfast plan and I have this to say about it: it will make you skinny, but it will make you miserable in the process and (in my case) I gained back the weight. But I know some people do it well and successfully so I admire you for sticking to it.

Honestly what I do is I never let myself feel that awful hurting hunger, because that's a sign that I haven't given my body enough nutrients. Are you drinking lots of water? That helps me a lot. Also, try to choose snacks that are high in fiber, like broccoli, which will keep you fuller longer. Another great, low-cal option (even if it technically takes you off your plan a little) is to cook up a little bit of oatmeal -- good whole oats like that are great for the heart and keep me full for hours. Maybe this will work for you, too. In terms of keeping your mind off food, I chew a lot of sugar-free gum, and I buy lots of fun flavors to keep my tastebuds entertained!!! Sounds silly but it works.

Good luck -- I know first hand how hard it is to be a snacker. And yes, much of it is mental, so if you can get your mind off it, great. If you can't, choose snacks that will at least be worth the calories -- ones that your body will respond well to.
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big Slim Fast fan. What I usually do to fight off cravings is eat apples, almonds, raisins, and olives. Safeway has an organic olives where you can eat about 6 pieces for only 25 cals. It's also good too because if you eat one by itself it can be a little sour, so it makes my taste go bleh no more. Then I drink a glass of water. Try drinking a glass of water every 2 hours. I find that if I drink water or tea I don't get hungry as fast as I should be. My friend tried the slim fast and she said she'd still end up even more hungry because of it. That's why I don't like Silm Fast. I think there are other ways you can eat something you love and loose weight.

I do occasionally snack on one snicker snack size, but that's only when I'm good with the rest of the food I eat for the day.

I'm not sure what the 3-2-1 plan is.

Good luck :)
  • Rachelicious
    Options
    here's a version of slim fast you might want to try...

breakfast- shake
    lunch- small healthy meal
    snack- shake
    dinner- small healthy meal
    snack- shake

i just started doing it a few days ago.. i never feel hungry.
    i learned about it from a friend.. she lost 40 pounds.
    you just follow the plan.. and burn about 2000 calories a week.. and thats the key to success.. so she says.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hunger pains are part of a very complex process in your body...It very well may not be mental but rather physiological..depending on your bf percentage you might benefit from a weekly "refeed" A day in which you eat 20-50% more cals above your normal daily caloric intake. And the bulk of these cals come from complex carbs. Obviously spread out with each meal over the course of one day. This will do wonders to keeping the hunger pains at bay during your other low cal days of the week. It will also kick start your metabolism and keep your burning cals at a good pace..Boost a hormone leptin which as it decreases due to prolonged dieting is what starts causing your body to signal off very intense hunger cravings even if you just ate a meal..Of course the mental break this gives you will be a big help also.

I use refeeds when I am on strict diets and they make all the difference. Just a suggestion as I know all about those extreme hunger pains!! Its those hunger pains that lead me to research and study refeeding and the effects it has on the body..Best of luck.:)
  • campbell59
    Options
    I am hungry, I had Lapband surgery done on 10/19/09 and my 1st fill is on Monday the 16th of Nov. I can't wait.:smile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Drink boatloads of water, chew gum (I love the brand 5 gum), and eat real food with lots of protein and fiber. Protein and fiber are what help you feel full. Especially the fiber stuff. You can also go crazy on veggies & fruit. I mean, how many people do you know got obese chowing down on fruits & veggies alone? LOL
    Ensure, Slimfast, Boost... those are all good meal replacements if you only have 5 seconds before you need to bolt out the door. They'll tide you over until your next meal, but you've got to eat real food. Just make sure you are making healthy choices. A 1 ft tall, mountain high plate of fruits & veggies has the same amount of calories as a cheeseburger, fries, and coke. Doesn't take too much to see the better option there ;)

Good luck, and we're all here for you!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You mean if I normally take in 2000 calories daily while in deficit mode, I need to increase 2500-3000 calories?

Also in your study have you found any research as to how long one should stay in a calorie deficit. I have read anecdotal information saying you should only stay in a deficit for 3 months then take a one month break or 6 weeks then take a one week break.
    you might benefit from a weekly "refeed" A day in which you eat 20-50% more cals above your normal daily caloric intake.

What fills me up 5 unshelled peanuts or 5-6 almonds; 1-2 slices of ham; 1/4 cup of fiber once cereal. All these have 30-40 calories.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You mean if I normally take in 2000 calories daily while in deficit mode, I need to increase 2500-3000 calories?

Also in your study have you found any research as to how long one should stay in a calorie deficit. I have read anecdotal information saying you should only stay in a deficit for 3 months then take a one month break or 6 weeks then take a one week break.
    you might benefit from a weekly "refeed" A day in which you eat 20-50% more cals above your normal daily caloric intake.

What fills me up 5 unshelled peanuts or 5-6 almonds; 1-2 slices of ham; 1/4 cup of fiber once cereal. All these have 30-40 calories.

yup, you got it..Just for one day. If your bf is in the single digits you can probably benefit from 2 refeeds per week.. And remember that these extra cals should come from complex carbs..ie sweet potato's, ww pasta/bread, brown rice, oatmeal ect...I am not sure how long you should stay in a caloric defecit before taking a break?? other then if you feel its time for a break, or your bf percent is extremely low for a prolonged time frame.. I have been in one for nearly 10 months or longer. I stay in one until I reach my goal.
  • mrsbice
    Options
    thank you all for your tips! To the person who asked what the 3-2-1 plan is, it is from slim fast--3 healthy snacks (about 100 cal each), 2 slim fast meal replacements (shake or bar), and 1 balenced meal a day (about 500 cal). I am following this to stop the bad snacking (like the halloween candy I just got rid of), but I am adding in a bit more calories to follow the calorie intake that MFP is telling me, as this seems to be a smart way to go. Not starving yourself, but being aware of what you put in your mouth (my issue).

I will have to go get lots of gum! I think that is my biggest thing, the oral fixation. I have to have something to do to keep the snacks out of my mouth!
  • tdredhat
    Options
    Crystal light has a mix, hunger satisfaction, the flavor is strawberry banana. It works for me, also I eat a piece of fruit with nuts to help the cravings. I am a snacker too, mainly after I get the kids to bed. I try very hard not to turn to the sweets.