dizzy spells due to low calorie intake?

Options
The last few weeks I have had an issue with dizzy spells and tunnel vision when standing. After my blood test came back normal I thought I would try increasing my calories because come to find out my sister had the same issue. I was netting between 1000 - 1200 (normally closer to the 1200). Has anyone else had this issue? If so what is the calories intake you have found works the best for you?

Replies

• mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep! I went up to a net of 1300 and kicked up my water intake, so far I've been feeling better. Experiment, go up by 100 and see what happens. If that helps, then stop there, if not, go up by another 100.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    EAT MOAR!!!!!!!!!!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Lets see your stats. Height, weight, what weight you want to get too, body fat %, how you eat, how much you work out and what you do to work out, if you eat back your work out cals. 1000 is crazy to net and 1200 is pushing it if you are working out alot.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I used to eat about 1300, and I wasn't losing anything. Recently, I upped my intake to 1600+ and started losing again. That was with zero exercise, too, because I recently hurt my foot and I am just getting into the gym today. Try eating more.
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that if you are eating so few calories that you are getting dizzy then that's your body telling you that you are eating far to few calories and need to up your intake. 1200 calories doesn't leave much room for any exercise before you start cutting into the calories for your BMR
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it's orthostatic hypotension. try upping your iron intake (could be anemia-related) as well. do you get a lot of salt/sugar/carbs in your diet? i'm not saying to eat high salt but if your diet is lacking in electrolytes (salt, potassium) it will affect your blood pressure.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I started a carb detox on Sunday and have been getting something similar when I workout. I feel like it's because all I have in my body right now is protein and veggies. I already drink lots of water, so I know it can't be that. I know for me it's a lack of carbs in my body, because I've never had this issue before, so maybe it might be the same for you? Incorporate healthy carbs if you aren't already: brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.

Adding in the carbs will also help you to get that extra 100 calories that @mayerel suggested.
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes. story of my life. 600 calories one day, pass out, binge, feel guilty, and the cycle starts all over again.

im currently stuffing my face with my third bag of chocolate chips today.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Calorie Needs to lose weight

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thats another good point, once your caloric intake hits a certain bottom point, your body goes into survival mode and starts hoarding every calorie it can get its hands on.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Water is really more likely your issue, but unless you're a dinky little thing, eating less than 1200 calories is just not a good idea. But that said, if you're feeling light headed, pound some water right away. It will almost always bring you back....
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat more.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    yes. story of my life. 600 calories one day, pass out, binge, feel guilty, and the cycle starts all over again.

im currently stuffing my face with my third bag of chocolate chips today.

You are going to hurt yourself :frown: That is no way to live your life
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    it's orthostatic hypotension. try upping your iron intake (could be anemia-related) as well. do you get a lot of salt/sugar/carbs in your diet? i'm not saying to eat high salt but if your diet is lacking in electrolytes (salt, potassium) it will affect your blood pressure.

Also, if you're going to up your iron, up you fiber and water as well. High iron makes it hard to poop sometimes.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you are exercising that is a very low about to only be consuming each day.
    1000-1200 is only enough if you are doing very light activity.. :)
    Try upping your calories by 100 each day and see how you feel then stay at that level for a few weeks to see how you are losing..
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    it's low calories, yes related to low blood sugar.

If you are going blind when hungry here's a hint. Eat more good food.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1400 calories for a month when I started to experience the same thing. I ate a big bowl of ice cream that night and woke up the next day full of energy. Since then I eat 100 calories over my BMR, which for me, puts me at 1750. If I exercise, I eat most those calories back. I've been losing steadily for the past 5 months.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    dizzy spells could be due to the timing of your meals. Your blood sugar is prob dropping too low. I had this problem before when I first started last June. Space your food intake better.
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body might be going into starvation mode. Try uping your calorie intake slightly for a few days and see if you feel better.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    more sodium intake to avoid low blood pressure.