Husband lost weight fast -- so not fair!

Options
My husband is 6'4" and weighed about 330 lbs. when he started dieting and exercising 2-1/2 short weeks ago. He's already lost 30 lbs. You can tell, too. Yes, perhaps much was water weight up front, but he already looks so good, and his belly is already nearly gone! He's solid, very muscular--the type of guy who gets asked if he lifts weights when he never has as an adult.

I will qualify the above by saying he had a very poor diet before switching. He drank Coca Cola all day long. He ate fast food non-stop. He works with his body and hands all day long, so he already had a high level of activity. Cut out all the junk he ate and drank and add in regular exercise, bam, he just rapidly dropped initially.

Although I'm super happy for him, I also feel like - ugh - it's going to take me a few months to healthily lose about 30 lbs! I don't drink soda to start with and don't have a terrible diet, so it's not like I can make changes and rapidly drop. I have totally overhauled my diet, counting calories, high protein, major exercise.

It was kinda shocking how quickly he lost and how good he already looks! 2-1/2 weeks?! Really? If only it were that easy!

Replies

• 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 2.5 weeks isnt even humanly possible. that is more than 1.5 lbs per day. did you see that scale before he started dieting and now or are you going by his word? I dont care how much water weight he had, 1.5 lbs lost per day is drastically unhealthy. dont mean to be harsh or anything, but i feel as though there is something missing to this story, because the fact of the matter is, losing weight is not that easy.
  • Jenyphur
    Jenyphur Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Makes me so mad.....men seem to lose it so much faster and NEVER seem to get 'stuck' . UGHHGHGHGHGH
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Most men lose fat/gain muscle faster than most women.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you didn't weigh as much as he did when you started (based mostly on your photo), so think of it this way: you could start at 330 and drop that water weight quickly like he did, or start where you are and lose it slower but have it make more of a difference. And it's not universally true that men lose faster and more easily than women. My boyfriend is 6'5" and struggles for every pound; I'm 5' (and female) and have lost about 45 pounds in a couple months and found it fairly easy. But like I've told him, you can't compare to other people; it's about optimizing what you can do yourself.

After all, once you both hit your individual goals, who's going to care who did it faster?
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm never sure what "Fair" has to do with anything. We each have our particular metabolisms, genetics and tendencies. You have to work with yours and he with his. Find what works for you and give it your best! I wish you well in meeting your goals.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Has your husband drastically cut down on carbs? I know from reading about the South Beach Diet, that if you cut out grains and starchy vegetables that you can lose weight drastically, but it's mainly water weight. Is that the case?
    If not, I would have to wonder if he's embellishing his weight loss, or just accept that men can and do lose weight faster than women. :ohwell:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating. I have more weight to lose than my husband and have lost several pounds more than him but people still comment on his weight loss. No one has said anything to me. I also work out twice as much as he does and he cheats way more than I do. I try not to let it discourage me but the hardest really is when somebody says to him "wow, have you lost weight?". I don't allow him to say anything to people about me losing weight cause I don't want to fish for complements. But, crud it really would be nice if someone noticed. I've gone down almost 2 pants sizes! Sorry, for the rant, lol. I guess this topic touched a nerve.

Btw, I am very happy for my husbands weight loss. And he is very supportive of me.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 2.5 weeks isnt even humanly possible. that is more than 1.5 lbs per day. did you see that scale before he started dieting and now or are you going by his word? I dont care how much water weight he had, 1.5 lbs lost per day is drastically unhealthy. dont mean to be harsh or anything, but i feel as though there is something missing to this story, because the fact of the matter is, losing weight is not that easy.

Maybe he dropped a deuce. John Wayne had 40lbs impacted in him at the time of his death. Dude is 6'4 and 330lbs. He will lose weight quickly.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

After all, once you both hit your individual goals, who's going to care who did it faster?

Women always want to look better than their man. We do want to achieve the goal faster, and look better! Just being honest! LOL
  • beckamelia1
    Options
    Me and My o/h started this together hes already lost all his weight and im just at half way im like jeeze what a bummer but im still plodding along!! Lol
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain, my husband who's 6'6" dropped 70 lbs in just over 5 months- and it sure didn't look like he was tring very hard. We worked out together and both cut calories but the weight just fell off him- me I've been at this for 10 months and am only down 43 lbs- I hit a plateua- him NOT!!!!!!!!!!! You should hear our discussions about it.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Guys bodies are very different than ours.

Yes, it sucks.

I started with a trainer at 220 and lost 40 lbs over the course of about 9 months (staggered)

Husband saw the change and decided to give it a whirl, he lost 40 lbs in about a month!
    Doing the exact same thing I was. It was irritating.

Even now that we're not with the trainer, but still workingout and eating correctly this past 2 weeks he has dropped 13 lbs.
    Ive only lost 3.

GRRRRRRRR :explode: :grumble:
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

It is quite possible, he weighed 330 pounds! When I first started at 252 pounds, I lost 10 pounds in my first week without changing much. Now I only lose about half a pound a week.
    Also, have you not seen the biggest loser?!
    Although I agree that it might not have necessarily been a healthy way of doing things.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are a little frustrated by his weight loss too, eh :mad: It is humanly possible....when I first started at the end of Feb, I used mfp's guidelines for losing 2 lbs per week and lost 12# the 1st week and 3 # the second week. Since then, my weight loss has slowed significantly but everyone's body is different.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    It sucks, I know. But it is true that men do lose faster than women. Though his weight loss should slow down and remember the old saying "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Well just keep saying that to your self and you can flip the rabbit off when you pass him. :tongue:
  • wihappycow
    wihappycow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The biggest favor you can do yourself is pick up the weights and work out like a man! The more muscle mass you have the better your body will be able to drop fat. Women are meant to have more fat, so it can be like fighting nature a little, but it's not impossible to have a strong shapely body. SO much happens to our bodies! I've had 3 children. Every month we deal with the fluctuation of hormones, emotions and have so much on our plates. It might be a longer journey then our spouses, but who ever said life was going to be fair. The funny thing is, my husband seems to get more excited when I gain weight and look softer then when I think I look good and more firm. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off.
  • rasja
    rasja Posts: 17
    Options

I know! That's what I thought, too. There is no exaggeration here. Yes, we weigh ourselves together. I do believe he must've lost lots of water weight immediately, and his belly almost went away. Like I said, he's basically all muscle. He really doesn't have much to lose other than the belly/oblique region. One thing I can say that might make a difference--the first week he decided to make the change, he barely ate food. I didn't know until after. That's entirely unhealthy. Now, he's been hanging around 300.
  • rasja
    Options
    I'm guessing you didn't weigh as much as he did when you started (based mostly on your photo), so think of it this way: you could start at 330 and drop that water weight quickly like he did, or start where you are and lose it slower but have it make more of a difference. And it's not universally true that men lose faster and more easily than women. My boyfriend is 6'5" and struggles for every pound; I'm 5' (and female) and have lost about 45 pounds in a couple months and found it fairly easy. But like I've told him, you can't compare to other people; it's about optimizing what you can do yourself.

Thanks for your response. Again, I'm really happy he had such a great start. I hope his rapid weight loss sticks, though.

Wow, 45 lbs in two months?! Great inspiration! I'm following in your footsteps!

Like you, I'm not finding it "difficult" to maintain the new eating and exercise routine. I've already dropped a little and am feeling good. I'm not hungry all the time. It's been great so far.

I'd love to lose just 20 lbs. within a month! But, I know that's not necessarily realistic. More like, perhaps, at most, 10 lbs.
  • rasja
    Options
    The biggest favor you can do yourself is pick up the weights and work out like a man! The more muscle mass you have the better your body will be able to drop fat. Women are meant to have more fat, so it can be like fighting nature a little, but it's not impossible to have a strong shapely body. SO much happens to our bodies! I've had 3 children. Every month we deal with the fluctuation of hormones, emotions and have so much on our plates. It might be a longer journey then our spouses, but who ever said life was going to be fair. The funny thing is, my husband seems to get more excited when I gain weight and look softer then when I think I look good and more firm. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off.

Thanks! It looks like you and I are both at the beginning of our weight loss journeys!

Yes, that's where my husband has a leg up--he's basically all muscle!

One thing I didn't necessarily intend to do, but have done, is get into a state of ketosis. I have the urine strips, and they're dark purple. I've simply been eating low carb, low fat, high protein. It's my understanding that ketosis for a little while can be very beneficial, as the body is burning up my fat. But, I read that allowing the body to stay in the state, say, for 2+ weeks isn't necessarily good. So, I will monitor and change diet here and there.
  • rasja
    Options
    It sucks, I know. But it is true that men do lose faster than women. Though his weight loss should slow down and remember the old saying "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Well just keep saying that to your self and you can flip the rabbit off when you pass him. :tongue:

Thanks! Congrats on your weight loss so far! I'm only down two, but I'm feeling good and am happy with the new routine.