Is sun tanning good for weight loss?

Options
Ive been trying to spend 20 minutes a day sitting/meditating in the sun to absorb some vitamin D, the sounds and smells of nature, and get some color in my skin. Ive noticed that during the time I spend in the sun, and for an hour or two afterwards, I completely lose my appetite. I got to thinking about how plants absorb energy from the sun, and wondering if we do the same...I found this article that supports my hunch....food for thought!

http://dirtydieting.com/how-tanning-helps-you-lose-weight/

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

I wouldn't regularly sun tan and sit in the sun for weight loss though. The sun can be very dangerous and deadly itself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It should be called how tanning gives you skin cancer, prematurely ages you, and does nothing for weight loss or your eating habits. For your body to produce the RDA of vitamin D it would be less than 10 minutes per day.

Seriously?!?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I got to thinking about how plants absorb energy from the sun, and wondering if we do the same...I found this article that supports my hunch....
    We do not get energy from the sun, and the article does not even remotely suggest that we do.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we don't have the cellular makeup for photosynthesis... but we definitely have the cellular makeup to get skin cancer. Meditating outdoors and enjoying sunlight (with proper precautions) can be very rewarding for the mind! But it doesn't directly aid in weight loss.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There is some guy somewhere who claims he does. Scroll down to Hiran Ratan Manek. I'm a little skeptical but there it is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

If it works for you, do it. I've read books by respected MDs that suggest it as a mental health practice. They say sit out in the sun with no sunscreen and no sunglasses for 10 mins/day for bipolar and depression. There is evidence to support special lights for use with SADD. Why not?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The vitamin D you get from the sun is useful, but don't over do.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    perhaps that's why It seems to really work for me...I definitely struggle with mild depression, and emotional eating is how I self medicate. the days I sit in the sun, I feel happier, and less hungry...maybe they're connected. thanks to you all for your thoughts xo
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I know that sunlight generally has an overall effect on my mood and helps me feel better when I have the chance to sit outside for a few minutes and feel the warmth on my face. When I am hiking or biking, that usually means increased sun exposure, which means my skin will turn darker. So, while indirect, you could say that tanning does help me lose weight. Though I don't go outside with the thought, "I'm going to go get some sun because it will make me skinnier." The sun just happens to be where I like to exercise most and boosts my mood and is a positive influence that way.
  • RobynMarieHouse
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I love being out in the sun! I definitely notice that I feel happier when I've spent some time outside. Plus, the Vitamin D is really important for me and the baby. <3!!
  • LaRoux10
    LaRoux10 Posts: 19
    Options
    As we are mammals, not plants, algae, or bacteria, we cannot gain energy from sunlight in the process known as photosynthesis. If we did, in fact, we would gain weight from overexposure to sunlight. Also, we would be green from chlorophyll. That said, I doubt that sun tanning really is a significant aid in weight loss. If it was, all the people walking around with fried skin would also be very thin. The dangers of sun- tanning are proven and great; I can't imagine that any benefits outweigh them. However, if moderate sun exposure makes you feel better, then go for it.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As we are mammals, not plants, algae, or bacteria, we cannot gain energy from sunlight in the process known as photosynthesis. If we did, in fact, we would gain weight from overexposure to sunlight. Also, we would be green from chlorophyll. That said, I doubt that sun tanning really is a significant aid in weight loss. If it was, all the people walking around with fried skin would also be very thin. The dangers of sun- tanning are proven and great; I can't imagine that any benefits outweigh them. However, if moderate sun exposure makes you feel better, then go for it.
    We do get vitamin D from sunlight.
  • ljroderick
    ljroderick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think some natural vitamin D is just good for the soul! For me, it helps get me motivated & moving. Plus a healthy glow makes me feel better about my appearance! When your tan you appear "slimmer" ;) just don't roast in the sun for too long, you don't want to over do it, but just like anything in life -- in moderation it's good for you 8-)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do this as I have read that sun damage to your skin reduces its elasticity and I do not want to wind up with loose skin.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies, but I swear I get seasonal depression. In the midst of winter I have zero motivation and everything feels like a chore. I think the sun 're-energizes' but more from a holistic approach not chemistry (I could be wrong... the article is interesting)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Yes, we get Vitamin D from sunlight however we do not get energy from spending an afternoon in the sun.
  • LaRoux10
    LaRoux10 Posts: 19
    Options

I realize that.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you can't tone it tan it!

Joke... It's probably more about your mood, and maybe being hot. Im not hungry when I am hot....and chill cancer police she didn't say she sits in the sun without sun screen now did she? (hell maybe she did, I just skimmed)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

We do indeed.

There has been a case in the UK recently of a young boy who has just been diagnosed with Ricketts.

Now why did he get Ricketts? It was because his mum used to worry about him getting skin cancer so much that she would slather him in total sun block everyday - this meant his body could not absorb the vitamin and Ricketts followed.

True story.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we don't have the cellular makeup for photosynthesis... but we definitely have the cellular makeup to get skin cancer.

This^